Solar Test Mule(?)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Test Mule(?)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Test Mule(?)

• Solar Test Mule(?)

Bob Kirchner updated 4 weeks ago 17 Members · 40 Posts
  • Alain Chuzel

August 30, 2022 at 7:41 am
  • John Malcom

August 30, 2022 at 9:56 am

Good find! Thanks. Now, hopefully we can see it on the gamma in a few days.

• Andrew McKeown-Henshall

August 30, 2022 at 10:01 am

Needs a windscreen to give more accurate results from dash panels

• Alain Chuzel

August 30, 2022 at 10:05 am

You are correct, of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they ditch the dash panel all together.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 30, 2022 at 10:16 am

I’d be pretty surprised…Wager?

• Alain Chuzel

August 30, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Wager you say? If you’re right, how about I send you one of my latest “innovations” and you can hang it from your rear-view “mirror”? (I’ll trim the edges and make it more purdy)

Whachyougot?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 30, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Let me see what I can come up with, (I’ve got a few ideas rolling around in my scatterbrain.)

Can’t identify your above item though.

OZ

• Alain Chuzel

August 30, 2022 at 8:03 pm

It’s a Maxeon/SunPower solar cell encapsulated with my second best encapsulation system. The odd pattern you see is a consequence of the anti-reflective (AR) “treatment” applied to the top surface. Preliminary tests show net zero encapsulation loss due, mostly, to “frequency shifting” and the AR. The system only adds approximately 350 grams per square meter to the mass of the cells. It’s all the rage in competitive solar racing circles!

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 31, 2022 at 5:30 am

Very cool Alain!

• V Pilot

August 31, 2022 at 1:21 pm

If they did do away with the dash panel there would be nothing involved in containing all the potential little pieces flying about in a crash event

• Rex Schneider

August 30, 2022 at 1:38 pm

This is just exciting to see. I wish the Aptera team would let us in on more of their test bed work.

• Markus Schmid

August 30, 2022 at 2:07 pm

I already would be happier if Aptera would be the first to put out information about their progress on their own website here instead of accidentally letting go off these news into the vast plains of the internet.

• John Trotter

August 30, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Markus From a company standpoint, I expect there is some advantage in “leaks” before official pronouncements. The official word would need numbers, for example, and they may not want to release that at this time. Tesla effectively uses the factory drone flyers for “releasing” news, without ever being caught saying something wrong themselves.

• Markus Schmid

August 30, 2022 at 6:04 pm

Fair point John, there are always two sides of the same coin.

In Aptera’s defense and a bit diverging from this thread’s topic I have to say, that this time until receiving an email notification about the new investment round for non-accredited investors, it has been considerably less than 48 hours after a forum member dug up that fact by navigating to the investment section on this website.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 30, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Markus, in defense of Aptera (On this one) It looks as if Aptera meant to be the first to break the news themselves (Via Email to start) But the information was found on the invest site on the far side of the Aptera Invest Portal, which is not administered directly by Aptera, but by their primary investor contractor, who evidently updated their site early.

• John Malcom

August 30, 2022 at 6:19 pm

Markus, I agree with this outlook.

The Aptera site seems to consistently be the last place any news is posted about Aptera developments or changes. The company’s official site should at least be part of the same announcement on other social media if not before it shows up on other Aptera related sites.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  John Malcom.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  John Malcom. Reason: correct spelling
        • kerbe2705

August 30, 2022 at 10:50 pm

@John Malcom I’m under the impression that the website is managed by an outside contractor, which could account for the delays. They seem to release information simultaneously on Twitter and Facebook first, followed by posting any videos to their YouTube channel.

• Dennis Swaney

August 31, 2022 at 7:44 am

Must be why no one at Aptera ever responded to my question regarding what forum software they use. This has to be the crappiest forum software I’ve ever seen and lacks even the most basic features of forum software.

• Bob Kirchner

August 31, 2022 at 5:21 am

Although I do not have a Book of Faces or an Instantaneous Gram, and I do not Twit, I am aware that a message spreads much faster on those platforms. If they want to get maximum exposure, it makes sense that they would release there first.

• John Malcom

August 31, 2022 at 8:01 am

They can release everywhere, to include the Aptera Forum, at the same time. It does not have to be done in a serial fashion. There is no technical reason why it is on the Aptera forum last.

• kerbe2705

August 30, 2022 at 11:06 pm
  • Bob Kirchner

August 31, 2022 at 5:16 am

I think I heard either Fambro or Anthony say in a video (quite early on) that he had made a mock up of Aptera’s solar array which he kept in his back yard. At the time, I just assumed that he had a few flat panels of equivalent area to what would fit on the vehicle, but maybe this is what he had?

In any case, whatever he had at the time is the basis for their 40 miles per day estimate for San Diego.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 31, 2022 at 5:20 am

I believe it was on his roof.

• Bob Kirchner

August 31, 2022 at 5:30 am

Could be. But at least now I know I wasn’t hallucinating the whole thing.

• Kevin Bradbury

August 31, 2022 at 8:38 am

Whatever you do @Bob Kirchner, don’t take the “red” pill. You don’t want to find out that Aptera is just a computer simulation after all this time. Keep the dream alive.😄

• Mark Singleton

September 1, 2022 at 5:48 pm

I have to remind people it’s 40 miles per day at 10miles/kWh.

Looks their 40kwh model FWD model achieves this.

Higher battery capacity models + AWD don’t get 10miles/kWh and so do not get 40 miles of solar either.

• Curtis Cibinel

September 1, 2022 at 6:22 pm

They have said before that the 100 w/mile is the 1000 mile. It is possible the 42.7 kwh pack may substantially overperform (close to 460 miles at 55mph – even better without mirrors). I’m not gonna complain about a 15% extra range.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=1285203539

• Mark Singleton

September 1, 2022 at 7:57 pm

They have continually stated this to me as well (10miles/kWh calculated from FWD 1000 mile model).

Personally, the lack of clear communication and marketing to date does not make me confident in that. I know you support the company and do seem convinced.

Either way customers ought to realize that fewer batteries = greater efficiency = less change time = more solar miles = greater cargo = dynamically superior driving and I’m afraid that Aptera is making a choice not to enlighten (even a bit) their excited deposit holders about this.

• Bob Kirchner

September 2, 2022 at 6:43 am

My reservation is for a 600 mile Aptera but it’s a closely figured decision. I am assuming that there will be adjustments in spring rates to compensate for extra battery weight, but if it turns out to be dynamically inferior to the 400 mile, or especially if it has a lower payload, I would definitely change my mind. More details will surely be available as the various versions are produced.

I will be highly motivated to escape the 500 lb. payload limitation, mostly because I’m fat, and me, my spouse and our dog would push its limits. I am hoping it will be possible to equip a 400 mile Aptera with springs from the 600, or a 600 with springs from a 1000.

• Derek Vigil-Trim

August 31, 2022 at 11:56 am

I believe the reason why the website is the last to be updated with such information is simply because it’s easier to make a post on social media, versus having to update or make a post on the website.

• Dennis Swaney

August 31, 2022 at 12:28 pm

It could also be the crappy software they are using for the website and forum. The big “social media” software was developed out of experience with user group, bulletin board, forum, etc software. The software Aptera is using for this forum lacks the most basic features of forum software.

• Markus Schmid

August 31, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Dennis, I understand your frustration about the forum software. However, I also think that it doesn’t help if you keep spamming the forum with this (justified) complaint.

In case you are really interested in what software the forum runs on:

It is WordPress, and they are using a Managed Hosting service by pressable.com. You can verify this information by right-clicking on the main site of aptera.us, selecting query in the context menu (press key Q on the keyboard) and revising the displayed source code of the page.

• John Malcom

August 31, 2022 at 12:39 pm

You do and test the code once. Not difficult code. and integrate it with the other updates.

Can’t argue though that the Aptera Forum code is c _ _ _. I hope no potential customer judges Aptera by the forum code glitches.

• David Marlow

August 31, 2022 at 12:54 pm

While they have announced deals with other vendors, they have not mentioned Maxeon. Could this be one of the things that is delaying the intro of Gamma? Sense this application is particularly well suited to Aptera, is Maxeon holding out for the best possible long term deal? Could Aptera be negating to purchase Maxeon, to keep this tech as an exclusive long term feature of Aptera products? This may be announced with the Gamma intro.

• John Malcom

September 2, 2022 at 12:00 am

This is not the time to start speculating and spreading rumors. We have seen the solar mule so your supposition I believe is unfounded.

• Markus Schmid

August 31, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Thank you Alan Chuzel an kerbe2705 for posting the link, respectively leaving the photo directly here on the forum!

I think we all are thirsty for any kind of information about Aptera’s progress, and the waiting time would be much less pleasant without the numerous inputs by forum members here.

• Raj Giandeep

September 1, 2022 at 1:52 pm

I wonder if that’s a solar sun visor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5syHAaqN0I

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

September 1, 2022 at 2:33 pm

Don’t think so, see my comment on your YouTube page, probably the missing 6 tail cells.

• John Malcom

September 2, 2022 at 12:05 am

Agreed.

On the test mule but not on the gamma reveals to this point.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now