Some “Thinks” about the “Off-Road” Version

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Some “Thinks” about the “Off-Road” Version

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Some “Thinks” about the “Off-Road” Version

• Some “Thinks” about the “Off-Road” Version

Guy SKEER updated 5 months, 1 week ago 12 Members · 14 Posts
  • Guy SKEER

January 20, 2022 at 6:49 am

While I have spent a fair amount of Time Driving Off-Road, I am not thinking that this Vehicle is well suited for Much more than Easy stuff.

Any Situation where wheel ruts are deep for Bog-Standard 4X4s, The Aluminum Underbelly is at risk on the APTERA. Deep Snow driving risks “High Centering the Underbelly,or giving it a scrub.

Even My Driveway here in the Glorious NorthBest poses a problem, at least until I have negotiated it enough times to Wear off the Moss in the Center of the Lane.

Maybe a better Nomenclature would be “Traction Limited” or “Sport” model?

• Len Nowak

January 20, 2022 at 7:54 am

I don’t think they ever intended as a 3-WD All- terrain vehicle…

I live off primitive roads ( which are graded regularly ) which is why I have Off Road “ kit “✔️ but I am not sure I really need it yet.

I sure want the std fairings over the wheel for the majority of my paved road driving

I need to understand range loss for the Off road option etc

I am ok with ~ 10% range loss for AWD “if” that becomes reality

The paved roads in the big city down here in the SW have more potholes😔

• Joshua Rosen

January 20, 2022 at 8:03 am

Pot holes are going to be the big problem with this vehicle because you won’t be able to steer around them, if you avoid them with the front tires you’ll hit them with the rear tire. I hope they’ve taken this in mind when designing the rear suspension.

• Jason Best

January 20, 2022 at 9:10 am

Can someone point out an official source of what is meant by “off-road” option for an Aptera? I’ve done a few searches and the only results point to Community discussions. Also, when I go to my reservation order and try to modify it, I don’t see any off-road option.

Edit: I found the link to the FAQ Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Of3g6RYqstbXecs7j2UHHd_b8s5MebxEs-ZwkyMiiQ/edit?usp=sharing) which has some questions and responses about the off-road options but it’s not clear who provided the responses. But it does seem that “off-road” is not a settled feature or spec but likely a combination of suspension modifications/adjustabililty and modification of the wheel fairings for greater clearance. I still haven’t found anything that I’d consider official.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jason Best. Reason: Adding FAQ URL and comments
    • Scott Price

January 20, 2022 at 11:04 am

Jason, this is generally referring to the “All-Wheel Drive System” option and also the “Off-Road Kit” upgrade option, depending upon which aspect of “off-road” capability you are referring to (all wheel traction and/or increased clearance + stronger wheel covers).

• David LeDane

January 20, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Jason,

At the bottom of where you are viewing and editing your reservation is another button that says “save and continue”. When you click this button it shows you the other options- safety pilot, enhanced audio, camping kit, pet kit , and off road . Hope this helps

• G Johns

January 25, 2022 at 10:41 am

Mr. Rosen,

Here in the more moderate temperature south east I have yet to see a pothole. Road debris yes, but no potholes. I’m only interested in the off road package because it may have higher ground clearance and I have always liked the way that looks for a vehicle. Always been partial to pick up trucks because of the higher clearance. If it’s going to cost me a 10% or more hit in efficency then I might not order it. But if the ground clearance is adjustable manually or automatic then it’s a definite must have. Regardless I will never be going off road more than a grassy parking lot.

• John Trotter

January 25, 2022 at 6:59 pm

G Johns. I know the 10% efficiency hit for “off road” (whatever that is) has been mentioned by the Aptera folks, but I don’t see a reason for it. Frontal area not significantly different. Same for weight. Air flow might even be better, unlike normal flat-bottomed, hug-the-ground cars.

• Riley ________________________________

January 26, 2022 at 2:06 am

The increase in ground clearance is from shorter wheel pants not a lifted suspension. The more exposed tires is what causes the 10% hit to efficiency.

• Jason Best

January 20, 2022 at 3:01 pm

OK, got it now. Thanks Scott and David. I didn’t click on the Save and Continue because I thought I had seen all the options. I added the Off-Road kit for $1000 but I do hope that there will be the option to have a second set of regular wheel covers for daily driving. Truthfully I probably would be able to handle the gravel roads I anticipate with only the stock suspension and covers but I’ll update my order once some of you earlier guinea pigs report back!

• Bojan Majdandzic

January 25, 2022 at 6:54 am

On asking Aptera about the off-road kit I got this answer:

The off-road package will have at least a 7″ clearance. However, this may change as we continue to test. We will be releasing more figures on our off-roading capability in the future as we do. The kit comes with a different style of wheel pants that are configurable for off-road and the body of the vehicle is raised, as well as the wheel covers to guard against curb and rock damage.
    Raising the wheel pants a bit gives you a little tougher stance and we’re still working on suspension mods, but there may also be ways to lock out the rear and raise and lower the suspension, and we’ll get to that over time. The suspension MAY be adjustable for the off-road kit, but please stay tuned.

• Byron Dieckman

January 25, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Guy, My primary interest in selecting the “off-Road” configuration is entry and exit height. At 78 I’m no longer looking forward to crawling out of another low-clearance sleek ego enhancer. Regardless of the ultimate off-road utility of the capability, the option to have more entry height is a good option for us old farts.

• Guy SKEER

January 26, 2022 at 3:29 am

Great Point, Byron! Wife has a Fused Back, and One (@This Time) Bionic Knee. Her ability to Enter and to Dismount is Crucial to obtaining Her Approval for the Purchase. Hadn’t Included that in My “Campaign”!

If it gains Me One Inch Seat Height, I must add it to My Options.

If it gains Me nothing, I must Become More Chivalrous, and Seat Her First (At Higher Ride height, Unladen), and Help Her Exit after I have dismounted (thus at a Higher Elevation)! She will Like That.

I did have some concerns about The Approach and Departure angles for the Distal End of My Driveway, where it joins the Court/Street.

• Peter Jorgensen

January 25, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Here’s some photoshop artwork of possible Offroad variants. Custom wheel pants, belly skid plate, bubble doors, and winch would obviously be aftermarket…

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now