Steep Driveway

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Steep Driveway

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Steep Driveway

• Steep Driveway

John Wiley updated 6 days, 9 hours ago 9 Members · 15 Posts
  • Thomas Bushaw

January 11, 2022 at 11:35 am

Our driveway from the street is rather steep (going up from the street). I’m a bit concerned that the the wheel covers (both front and back) may scrape the pavement (front wheel covers hitting the pavement before the wheel themselves reach the slope; rear cover dragging on the street/sidewalk after the rear wheel has started up the slope). I’m guessing this won’t be a problem, but I’d like to know ahead of time if I have to deal with it (I’d hate to have to get the off-road upgrade just so I can get up my driveway!).

Are there specs available regarding (1) How high the bottom of the cover is above the bottom of the wheel and (2) How far the front of the cover is from the center of the wheel. (Plus similar specs for the rear wheel.) With these numbers (and the “geometry” of my driveway) I think I can do the math to figure out if this is an issue or not.

• This discussion was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Thomas Bushaw. Reason: Typo
  • Leonard Nowak

January 11, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Search FAQ Spreadsheet in this forum

The answers posted “back then” in Aptera’s answers are there.

We have heard they improved the wheel fairing’s aerodynamics further so until Production intent it is all evolving

• Paul Schultz

January 11, 2022 at 3:25 pm

It is still a good question. Aptera should commit to an ‘approach angle’ and ‘departure angle’ specification for the wheel fairings/skirts. Some driveway entries almost look like a curb and can be very abrupt. Having the approach and departure angles would help and still allow them to tweak the fairing as long as they remain within these specs. Not an unreasonable level of detail to ask for in my opinion.

Of course an answer is to the driveway could be to approach it at an angle and not straight on, if possible. This lessens how abrupt the approach angle will be for the wheel fairing/skirt.

• Thomas Bushaw

January 11, 2022 at 4:14 pm

Yes, an angled approach would be an option and would reduce the approach angle… hopefully enough. But I would not want to rely on this as I am bound to forget from time to time.

• Lou Verner

January 11, 2022 at 4:47 pm

I too have steep driveway, but for me, and likely many others, angled approach not an option. I’m getting Off-road option for that reason, but will go back to standard package if modifications allow me to access my driveway without damaging fairings.

• John LaRocque

January 11, 2022 at 6:00 pm

They’ve said this about clearances (from the FAQ sheet):

“Right now it’s 14/12 deg on the front and 14/20 deg on the rear with 5″ of wheel cover clearance at each wheel. This is better than a lot of small cars, including sports cars. Also, the Off-Road add-ons will increase this significantly.”

“It will handle most potholes nicely with a 5″ clearance and good entry and exit angles on the wheel covers. Anything a Honda Civic can handle, we can too.”

• John Trotter

January 13, 2022 at 6:48 pm

I reserved the off-road package because of a problem I had with my Tesla Model Y – Performance. The car would sometimes scrape on the crest of the driveway, not entry or exit. (That puts the rub close to the middle of the battery!) In my case, the problem had to be solved by grinding a half-inch off the concrete. In our neighborhood of 1920s and 1930s homes, it’s not an unusual situation.

• GLENN ZAJIC

January 13, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I too have concerns with regards to my driveway. It is quite steep and has a crest at the top, which is the entry/exit point. This crest is what keeps rains from flowing down my driveway, and I actually had to increase its height a little a few years back. When coming home, I believe with the three wheels, it will be easy to take this diagonally and not hi-center. I do that now. But leaving, with the weight shifted back I may drag the belly or rub the front edge of the rear wheel boot. I would prefer to not get the off road package, but I may have to. If I can’t get one of you early recipients to test it for me, I might make a mock-up with bike tires and cardboard to see if off road will be needed. Of course I am not asking somebody to scratch theirs up so I don’t have to. It would be a ‘no damage’ slow motion observation. Maybe by then there will be some for test drives, as I am only about 30 minutes from Carlsbad.

• Thomas Bushaw

January 13, 2022 at 8:48 pm

I took some measurements of my driveway plus the Aptera specs provided in this thread to do a little “back of the envelope” simulation of how an Aptera would get up my driveway. See the attached video. The animation is fairly crude, but the dimensions are reasonably accurate. And (yay!) it seems to show that the Aptera does indeed have sufficient clearance for my driveway. The street is downhill at the approach to my driveway and the driveway then heads up (steepest is about 12 degrees) to a ~30’x30′ pad in front of the garage. I was worried that when the Aptera was spanning the gutter at the street (the low point) and started up the hill, the fairings might hit either in the front or in the back. Also, the crest at the top of the slope doesn’t appear to present a problem either. Of course, as the final specs for the production Aptera materialize, this all may have to be revisited.

0:14

Driveway Movie Version 5

• John Wiley

January 14, 2022 at 6:41 am

Thomas – I tried to view your video but my iPad says “video format not supported”. Is there another format available for this? Or a suggestion on what I could do differently to view the video?

• Thomas Bushaw

January 14, 2022 at 8:52 am

It’s in 4K format (probably overkill) which may be the problem (the posted version does view fine using Safari on my Mac). I’m attaching a standard HD version here. If that doesn’t work, I’ll post it on YouTube and provide the link.

Driveway Movie (1080)

• This reply was modified 6 days, 17 hours ago by  Thomas Bushaw. Reason: Typo
            • John Wiley

January 14, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Got it, thanks. Nice work.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now