Steering wheel vs. center screen BMW i4

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Steering wheel vs. center screen BMW i4

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Steering wheel vs. center screen BMW i4

• Steering wheel vs. center screen BMW i4

• Markus Schmid

July 31, 2022 at 5:27 pm

The round steering wheel blocking the view to a significant portion of the center screen is “not a problem” for Mike Lane at Munro Associates…

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxpzax6IQJKydy78MczwoZYQEr4Lp3A4Zo

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 31, 2022 at 5:59 pm

We aren’t talking about an instrument cluster here, we’re talking about your side views, you likely really want to see that clearly.

• Markus Schmid

August 1, 2022 at 4:02 am

I even would find it unacceptable with the BMW i4’s instrument cluster.

Of course it is even worse if you can’t see the whole side rear view, while having that view right in front of you instead of needing to twist the head is a great advantage IMO.

• Marc Elliott

August 16, 2022 at 8:10 am

The “yoke” is a profound disapointment. The hallmark of the Apteria is elegant design. Get a clue — for over a hundred years the streering “wheel” IS the elegant design, for a whole lot of reasons. Virtually all cars have the instrument console behind/through the top half of the steering wheel. I get it that visability is an issue. I’ve ordered the opaque rear deck to maxmimize solar collection. I suggest the rear monitor be place behind the steering wheel and the two side camara monitors be hung as a pair from the roof, where the traditional review mirror would be. All other instrumentation can be worked into remaining spaces.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 16, 2022 at 8:14 am

Get a clue. Steering wheel over 100 years??? Past time for a change.

After all, Aptera is billed as a “Paradigm Shift” Yoke is appropriate.

The steering device will be a yoke. Don’t be caught as the last man in line. Train your self to steer with a yoke.

• Rex Schneider

August 16, 2022 at 9:04 am

Jonah, no need for the snark. While I see the value of the yoke for visibility it does have disadvantages for use if we are expected to turn more the 120 degrees of rotation. Just because something is a hundred years old doesn’t automatically make it bad. usually things that have lasted through time have done so because they work well.

Now if the turning requirement for the yoke is reasonable then it will be a good option much like an F1 car. If not then we will have to hand over hand a yoke and that is awkward. My only concern is the Hello Kitty appearance. I wish it looked a bit more F1. More practical and would fit the awesome sleekness of the car.

• Raoul Desy

August 16, 2022 at 9:30 am

If the yoke has a limited lock-to-lock rotation, not a problem. If not, how will the Aptera perform in emergency situations if you need to turn further than your arms allow without relocating your grip. A round wheel is always generally where you expect it without looking – a yoke may not be. The fact that the Aptera yoke is shown with a round bottom may be a good solution – time will tell.

• Ray Holan

August 16, 2022 at 9:51 am

Hi, Rex. As you’re probably aware, the yoke has generated lots of comments — pro, con, and undecided. We know we’re getting one. The Gamma reveal has a few of us scratching our heads at the way it looks.

• Michael N

August 16, 2022 at 4:53 pm

With a yoke, a better engineering solution, is to match the maximum degree the wheel turn to the maximum steering wheel turn. 50 degrees for a max steering wheel angle should be sufficient. You only need the maximum at low speeds anyway while maneuvering.

If anybody is familiar with a tiller concept in airplanes they would understand what I am talking about. I am a pilot , and maneuvering my airplane with a tiller is super easy and intuitive. It has an auto center so when I let go the wheel straightens immediately. When I move it left and right, it is in proportion to my nose wheel, so I know when I hit my limit of nose wheel steering when I hit the stop on the tiller around 50 degrees of turn. Here is a link to a video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVoAzDIlak8https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVoAzDIlak8

• Kevin Bradbury

August 16, 2022 at 5:22 pm

I will give the yoke a try, and if I don’t like it, I will look into replacing it. With no experience with one, my imagined concerns will be with low-speed maneuvering or emergency maneuvers. In this video,

I Crashed Kyle’s Tesla Model S Plaid – YouTube

at the 22.12 mark, they discuss what the possible causes of loosing control of a Tesla model S Plaid were.

The one thing I can say right off the bat, is that I will look into dying or painting the white portion of the yoke.

• Howard Sharp

August 16, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Agree with the idea of putting side view screens either side of the main rear view screen up where the rear view mirror would normally be. That’s where decades of driving experience will tell us to look in a moment of stress. Another idea is to put them near where we look for them in a conventional car, at either end of the dashboard.

Either way, we get our conventional wheel back. The yoke is an appropriation from aircraft, where it never has to turn more than half a revolution in either direction. It’s not suitable for a car, especially if it looks like the Cheshire Cat 😺.

• John Malcom

August 16, 2022 at 8:04 pm

The yoke is a done deal on production Aptare regardless of where the rear view camera displays are located. Post delivery you can change it out if, after some experience driving with it, you can not adjust comfortably.

• Paul Kirchner

August 16, 2022 at 10:50 pm

In your moment of stress why not look at the side view mirrors. They will be there until the law is changed.

So when the Aptera is released, you will have the center screen and the mirrors in their usual places. Best of both worlds! Folks who need a moment to get used to newfangled things can still look left and right until looking straight ahead takes hold in the muscle memory.

• Andrew McKeown-Henshall

August 24, 2022 at 1:23 pm

Have never driven a car with camera “mirrors” so can’t comment on gamma location choice of screen but intuitively, the alpha design seemed more natural as when you are looking at your “traditional” mirrors, you aren’t just observing what is in the mirror glass but what is going on at the side of the car… perhaps camera with a wider FoV negates the need for this???

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now