Storage

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Storage

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Storage

• Storage

Jakob Zermeno updated 1 week, 5 days ago 13 Members · 21 Posts
  • Jakob Zermeno

September 14, 2022 at 7:03 am

Will the Aptera have subtrunk storage? as someone who has reserved a 1,000 range Aptera, I want to use it for camping. fitting everything in the large trunk is great, but not when you want to sleep in the trunk set up. Is there a subtrunk to place belongings?

• Peter Jorgensen

September 14, 2022 at 7:30 am

I’m going to say probably not – but… There is a lot of open space around the sides and back of the trunk that is just full of air. We may be able to figure out a way to access it and store things in there.

• Jakob Zermeno

September 14, 2022 at 2:18 pm

Awesome thank you.

• kerbe2705

September 14, 2022 at 9:06 pm

@Peter Jorgensen Those empty spaces may end-up being filled with expanded foam to provide additional structural rigidity.

• Joshua Rosen

September 14, 2022 at 7:49 am

If you are worried about space then you shouldn’t order the 1000 mile version. The space for the extra batteries are coming out of the cargo space.

Are the places that you intend to to camping really more than 200 miles from the nearest charger? The 600 mile variant should easily be able to handle 450 miles of real world driving and if you are on back roads it should be able to go the full 600 miles. In my Tezlab report I drove 836 miles in August with an average efficiency of 105%, that’s a mix of highway and back road driving. Tesla is notoriously generous with their EPA ratings and yet in the summer when I don’t have to heat the car I easily exceed them, I fully expect it will be the same for Aptera.

• Jakob Zermeno

September 14, 2022 at 2:19 pm

I didn’t know it would take up cargo space! I was actually debating getting the 600. It’s not that I’ll be 200 miles away. It’s that I want to charge less in general lol

• Curtis Cibinel

September 14, 2022 at 9:37 pm

I don’t think anyone from Aptera has ever said that the 1000 would lose storage space. This is a theory that came after the battery space analysis by Aptera Owners Club and those contributing to his content. If any official statement was made please link it.

• John Voules

September 14, 2022 at 9:52 am

My plan is to put as many things before we leave for camping in the front seat so I know it fits. Then store in trunk, so when I get to destination I know it have enough space to sleep.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

September 14, 2022 at 10:58 am

I’m sure it will occur to you, but since everyone jumps on the “7 foot plus space in the rear” talk, that’s with the seats fully forward and probably tilted. This will impact what you can fit up there. You’ll have to work with however far forward you have them, when you find yourself comfortable in the back.

• Kevin Bradbury

September 14, 2022 at 11:21 am

There should still be some room in the foot wells. As long as you pack like Gilligan and not like Ginger and the Howells, you probably will be fine.

• Francis Giroux

September 14, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Has anyone noticed that the rear floor (storage area) behind the seats of the Gamma is considerably narrower than on the Alpha models? The sides of the storage area used to angle out from the hatch opening. Now they actually angle in so that the maximum width is barely 48 inches when it used to be around 60 inches (toward the front). This reduces the floor area available for camping/sleeping/storage. The new storage capacity is supposedly now 28 cubit feet instead of 25.

I hope these new side walls are just a rushed hand fabricated quick fix because the production ones have not come in yet. If I was not planning on sleeping two people back there and not planning on carrying full sheets of plywood (48 inches wide) I wouldn’t care. in fact I would probably cut holes in these side walls and install cabinet doors to access the storage space behind them. I could understand the change if the space lost was going to be used for battery installation for the excess battery modules that didn’t fit under the floor on the 1000 mile range vehicle, but that is supposedly solved with taller fatter batteries than the 2170 cells used for the 250 and 400 mile range models.

• Kevin Bradbury

September 14, 2022 at 2:50 pm

I think the Alpha was just the painted surface of the inside of the body mold. Gamma looks to be finished out with an inner wall that probably covers wiring, insulation and stuff.

• Bob Kirchner

September 14, 2022 at 2:31 pm

The floor of the shell slopes down as it moves forward, starting from I’d guess about two thirds of the distance from the hatch to the seats. There have been proposals to make these volumes (two of them, split by the center tunnel) accessible through hatches in the trunk floor. We’ll see what happens. The volumes are oddly shaped and not very large.

• Jakob Zermeno

September 14, 2022 at 2:52 pm

Got it. Yeah I asked because in Jay Lenos garage they stated they were going to try and make a subtrunk. But I understand with this design it’s difficult

• Len Nowak

September 14, 2022 at 4:14 pm

What I was hearing there….

This is only Gamma

There are “plans” for two storage access door behind behind the seats ( we have seen them in past renderings) The storage below will be shallow. These were not yet shown in Gamma

With the option to stack batteries and or use a wider/ taller batteries … batteries packs into the cargo area may not be necessary 🤞

Plans need to finalized on anchor hardware for 1) a means to strap down cargo, 2) tether our pet’s

(̂ ˃̥̥̥ ˑ̫ ˂̥̥̥ )̂ safety leash and 3) the pet divider…. all not yet detailed/shown.

( Heck…. I had all that in my 1972 Datsun 240Z. I imagine these are easy items for Aptera to show us in the coming months)

Delta is not that far off…. let’s see how things play out

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• George Hughes

September 15, 2022 at 2:11 pm

I distinctly remember a small frunk on one render of the Alpha. It was a small tub where an electric motor would fit if it were ‘inboard’.

Has that totally disappeared? Why?

Anyway, if it is there, it might be a partial solution to the storage issue …or at least hold a six-pack in ice 🙂

• Curtis Cibinel

September 15, 2022 at 2:49 pm

Alpha had a tiny frunk as seen in the Jay Leno video. Not even sure if an upright beer can would fit. One of the engineers said the space is used for suspension and other components at Fully Charged

• Paul Kirchner

September 17, 2022 at 10:32 am

There will be storage under the rear panel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1D3Aqk6OME

• Jakob Zermeno

September 17, 2022 at 11:02 am

Love this. Thank you

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now