Strong winds on bridges

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Strong winds on bridges

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Strong winds on bridges

• Strong winds on bridges

• Steven Dempster

March 3, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Hello, when a colleague heard that I pre-ordered an Aptera their first thought was, we have a huge bridge near us, 4630 feet long, 30 metres up, and I have to cross this bridge 6 times a week for work. The bridge often sees accidents, about every 3 weeks or so, due to trucks getting pushed over by the wind. He suggested that the tail of the Aptera would catch the wind and front-heavy design would see it overturn forwards. Are Aptera taking unusual driving conditions like these into account in their testing?

• Len Nowak Nowak

March 3, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Hi

This has been asked a few times in the forum and Aptera has answered within these answers below. You may find many more answers! Or just search “FAQ” for old answers.

As you know Aptera, depending on battery pack should be 1800 to 2200 lbs

<font color=”#000000″>Note:
    Many do not search the https://www.aptera.us website and/or FAQ Spreadsheet that Aptera produced in an effort to answer many questions.</font>

Search Aptera’s FAQ Spreadsheet

Please search the spreadsheet with Ctrl+F (for “Find”), or for Mac use command+F or cmd+F

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  bbelcamino.

Aptera

• Steven Dempster

March 3, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Neither the words ‘bridge’ nor ‘bridges’ brings up any matches in the forum. The words ‘bridge’ or ‘bridges’ bring up no matches in the FAQ. My question hasn’t been addressed.

• Joshua Rosen

March 3, 2022 at 3:49 pm

They’ve talked about the effect for cross winds which is what you are worried about. They think that it will behave very well in cross winds because it’s so aerodynamic.

• Kimberly Wilson

March 3, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Conceivably a tailwind strong enough, faster than your driving speed, could provide some lift. Avoid tornadoes and hurricanes. (-:

• Vernon Michael Gardner

March 3, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Kimberly, funny :^).

The question about high winds is a good one. As to cross winds, there is a extremely low cross deflection area of the Aptera Roadster. Even with the vehicle al light as it is, there is more blow around on CUVs, SUVs, Tall Cars, Vans, Trucks etc. because of the very low cross section resistance to wind on the Aptera Roadster.

• Paul Schultz

March 3, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Mackinac Bridge in Michigan would be an excellent test. If Aptera wants to send me a vehicle I’d be glad to perform the testing! 🙂

• kerbe2705

March 3, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Due to the placement of the battery pack – the heaviest part of the vehicle – Aptera will have a very low center of gravity and an almost perfect weight distribution: It won’t be “nose heavy”.

• Steven Dempster

March 4, 2022 at 10:34 am

Thanks for helpful responses. To clarify, I know crosswinds have been discussed before, and I don’t have any doubts that the car can survive very strong crosswinds, it is tailwinds that I’m a little worried about. Wanted to raise it, to make sure it gets tested.

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    March 4, 2022 at 11:32 am

Hi Steven,

Thank you for this question! I look forward to getting you a more in-depth answer from our Engineers. For now, I can let you know: Our advanced aerodynamic shape and the vehicle’s ability to slip through the air have some real benefits! You barely feel semi trucks as you just slip through their turbulence; the vehicle does not generate lift at speed. For people concerned about stability at high speeds; Downforce on the rear of the vehicle is about 25 pounds at 65MPH.

• Kimberly Wilson

March 4, 2022 at 6:20 pm

I figure that 25 down force is on top of the actual weight of the vehicle on the rear wheel.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 13, 2022 at 10:32 am

Do motorcycles cross said bridge without issue ?

I can’t imagine a motorcycle with a windscreen would fair any worse than an aptera

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now