Structural Batteries

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Structural Batteries

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Structural Batteries

• Structural Batteries

• Christian L

August 18, 2021 at 8:22 am

So this isn’t something that will be available to integrate into Aptera cars any time soon, but I think it’s important to post it here because of the outsized benefits structural batteries might provide an Aptera car over other EVs.

A team at Chalmers University have created a structural battery who’s properties are significantly better than those seen thus far in the world of structural batteries. Link here:

https://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news2/newsid=57573.php

I’ve also found a Master’s Thesis written on the subject by Helena Rivera Cueva whos’ “examiner” for the thesis was Leif Asp, the same professor who worked on technology spoken about in the article linked above. Link here:

https://odr.chalmers.se/bitstream/20.500.12380/256610/1/256610.pdf

Chalmers University isn’t the only group working on this technology of course. In the masters thesis Cueva cites several breakthroughs by other groups. MIT had their fingers in this pie, though I’m not sure to what extent they are currently involved. Link:

https://youtu.be/B-IdEAodLIA

And the Imperial College London has this page up. Link:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/structural-power-composites/

• Randy J

November 8, 2021 at 12:29 pm

I searched for a subject dealing with batteries. If this tech below works it won’t matter how we charge our vehicles. Solar won’t be an advantage and the value of my Aptera shares will be in question

interestingengineering.com

“The “Forever” Diamond Battery: It’s Radioactive and Runs for 28,000 Years

Loukia Papadopoulos

2-3 minutes

<hr>

We all know the burden of running out of battery on our favorite devices. And it seems no matter how long their charge lasts, it never is enough. But what if a full charge lasted thousands of years?

That’s what a California company is working toward. NDB hopes to create nano-diamond batteries that act like tiny nuclear generators fuelled by nuclear waste.

According to NDB, these batteries will last up somewhere between a couple of decades to 28,000 years, will be nearly indestructible and, will be cheaper in electric cars than current lithium-ion packs.

“Our team is bringing together leaders in the nanotechnology, nuclear science, and diamond fields with military, academic, and research backgrounds, and combining our unique mix of expertise has made it possible for us to crack the code in developing this groundbreaking, life-changing solution,” said in a press release Nima Golsharifi, CEO and co-founder of NDB.

“Moreover, as members of society, we are extremely concerned about the welfare of the planet and are focused on lowering climate change to protect our planet for future generations. With the NDB battery, we have achieved a massive, groundbreaking, proprietary technological breakthrough of a battery that is emission-free, lasts thousands of years, and only requires access to natural air in order to power devices.”

Since NDB will create its batteries’ energy from recycled waste, the batteries will only require access to natural air in order to power devices. More importantly, they will not produce any emissions, dangerous levels of radiation, or destructive byproducts that could harm the environment and will be unaffected by weather and climate conditions. Last but not least, their charge will last the entire lifetime of a device no matter what it may be.

As of August 2020, the company completed two proof of concept tests during which their battery managed a 40 percent charge. Now, NDB is hard at work creating a prototype of a commercial version of the battery and has signed its first beta customers. NDB says it will finally have a working product in 2023.

Only time will tell how NDB’s technology evolves and if it ever becomes market-ready.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

November 8, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Forever Diamond Battery huh, I’ll make space on my shelf for one, next to my perpetual motion machine, and my seawater gold extractor.

• Harry Parker

November 8, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Not so fast . . . You left off a “small” detail about those Diamond batteries from NDB. Here’s one article on it: https://medium.com/0xmachina/the-nano-diamond-battery-ndb-too-good-to-be-true-548066508c49

And below is the image at the top of that article. Note the power rating of this chip sized battery: 100 microWatts = 0.1 milliWatts = 0.0001 Watts. You’d need 10,000 to get a single watt out. You’d need 10 million of them to get a single KiloWatt out. And you’d need 150 times 10 million to get enough power to fully power the motors on an AWD Aptera.

So a bunch of these nuclear batteries may be good for powering things like an old pocket calculator. But even enough to power your smart phone would require you lug them around in a suitcase.

• Joel Smith

November 8, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Getting kind of off topic here but okay. Read the fine print before looking to unload your Aptera shares. These produce tiny currents (talking micro watts) suitable for maybe implanted medical devices or a watch. They are also continuous electron emitters (through beta decay) rather than electrical energy storage devices like a conventional battery, so a device powered by it would almost certainly need some sort of buffer (a capacitor) to temporarily store excess charge and release it when demand bumps up. Very cool, sure, but also very niche.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now