Suggested Roadtrip

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Suggested Roadtrip

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Suggested Roadtrip

• Suggested Roadtrip

Jeff May updated 13 minutes ago 17 Members · 21 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

March 4, 2022 at 1:48 pm

I’d like to see them do a cross country road trip when they have a production intent vehicle.

The purpose of the trip would be two fold.

1) To allow potential customers to see and potentially test drive the vehicle.

2) To test the car on the most challenging roads in each region.

Would everyone please suggest locations in your region that you would like so see them take the car, for example in another thread someone was asking about the handling of the car on a bridge that’s subject to fairly high winds, that would be a good place to take it for a test drive.

I’ll start with New England. As a test drive location I’d suggest the Lincoln Gap in Warren Vt. The Lincoln gap is a 25% grade, I’ve been told that this is the steepest public road in the US. The road is paved up one side of the mountain and unpaved on the other (although it’s a good quality dirt road, it’s not rutted). When I took my Tesla over it the energy graph was pinned both on the way up and on the way down (the regen got a lot of energy). There are a lot of extremely sharp turns going up and down the mountain so it’s a great test of handling as well as the ability to climb steep roads. This is a beautiful location, it will make a great Youtube video.

For a meetup to allow people to see and drive the car I’d suggest the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua NH. The Mall sits on the Massachusetts border and has an Electrify America charger location. There is easy access to Route 3 which is a very good highway for test drives because it’s usually not crowded there. Another possibility would be the Electrify America in Marlboro MA. Marlboro is on Route 495 which isn’t terrible in terms of traffic. What ever you do don’t pick a location on Route 128 around Boston (known as 95 to outsiders). Route 128 is a parking lot during the week, it’s excellent for energy efficiency (my Tesla gets over 5 miles/KWh there) because the traffic moves at 20MPH if it’s moving at all.

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Gabriel Kemeny

March 4, 2022 at 5:26 pm

There are plenty of roads/situations within hours of Aptera’s factory. We don’t want time/resources diverted from getting the vehicle to production. There’s plenty of time for something like that with a production vehicle.

• John Malcom

March 4, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Gabriel is absolutely correct! Every resource and piece of equipment possible should be assigned to tasks to move testing and production forward without any diversions to beat or beat the Aptera schedule.

Aptera Ambassadors have a sub group focused on planning for, creating, and attending events and scheduling the events at the right time to get the greatest impact. This group, in conjunction with marketing, engineering, finance, and production will designate those events to be supported by Aptera and allocate resources to do so. Of course, with limited vehicle sampes, people and money to support the events only a few out of the many suggestions received can be selected.

When these events are selected and scheduled, they will be announced publicly and all Aptera enthusiasts invited to attend

• Curtis Cibinel

March 4, 2022 at 7:07 pm

If they have a vehicle ready in time I would hope they can get it to a state with winter conditions to do practical testing this year.

Tesla’s mistakes (ie a mechanical flat that freezes easily and is needed for the heat pump to function) even recently have shown that to operate real world in cold climates we need more than lab tests. Many people which are very positive on tesla such as youtubers (including Zack and Jessy from Tesla Time News) have pointed out flaws in winter climate readiness. As a solar vehicle intended to be parked outside most of the time this is even more important for Aptera.

The sooner an issue can be identified the less costly it is to fix. As a software developer I know very well that every bug I catch though my own testing before it hits QA saves about 10x the cost. If it gets to a client it is consistently 100-1000x the cost. Especially if an issue isnt fixable in software it is always better to catch it early.

• John Malcom

March 5, 2022 at 4:07 am

A good example of “An oz. of prevention equals a pound of cure” wisdom.

Cold weather performance is one of the top concerns regarding the Aptera among potential customers who live in climates with winter conditions. We are fast running out of winter weather testing opportunities. We don’t want Aptera to be another Tesla

• Konijnerd the Great

March 5, 2022 at 8:11 am

Pretty sure they are gonna show off every vehicle like they already did, also let people drive them or drive with them. Its marketing and a few hours like that will not waste any timeline or plan.

• George Hughes

March 5, 2022 at 11:58 am

TThe whole idea of this roundtrip suggestion is and expression of our frustration with the delays caused by covid. We also had excessi time to think about it. So I don’t fault the thought.

Let me suggest that at this point in time, we need as a group to find a way to tell our story.

what if some independent aptera fan or group were to independently fund to configuration of an aptera spec into o fist person driver game like beaming dive.

what would be so cool would be if you coulld select the aptera options and just play.

I watched z few beaming videos with their quasi realistic crashes and think the physics engine of the game if applied to the strength characteristics of the aptera monocoque would prove enlightening to all. Players in the game.

I don’t know exactly how the game works although I suspect that a new innovative car design based on a real car like others, will show the inherent intelligence and logic of the first principals.

If like some other games … there may be others … there is a marketplace, maybe you could sell the data file? It would be cool if you got the game file with a reservation giving you a virtual test drive in the bargain.

• Gary Black Forest

March 5, 2022 at 11:12 am

I’d like to suggest the road to the top of Pikes Peak. That would include hair pin turns, possible winds, and it can snow there in the Summer too. Bring lots of water and stay hydrated; Altitude sickness can be an issue at 14,115 feet above see level.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Gary Black Forest. Reason: more information
    • Riley …

March 5, 2022 at 11:33 pm

I like your thinking, Aptera can make headlines news by showing up to a famous local and breaking some kind of record. Another idea could be to take an offroad ready aptera and do the Baja 1000 on a single charge. Doesnt have to be quick just finnishing the race will draw alot of attention.

• Curtis Cibinel

March 5, 2022 at 11:56 pm

As awesome as that sounds on paper no way a 1000 mile Aptera can drive 1000 miles on baja 1000 offroad race conditions; also they haven’t physically built a 1000 mile pack yet.

• David Tiemeyer

March 7, 2022 at 10:03 am

Don’t forget the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge coming up in October 2023. Envision a fleet of Apterae in support of the solar racers traveling from Darwin to Adelaide through the Outback of Australia. The King’s Highway stretches 1496 km (930 mi) from Darwin to Alice Springs and 1534 km (935 mi) from Alice Springs to Adelaide.

https://worldsolarchallenge.org/news

• Curtis Cibinel

March 8, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Great way to get extra media attention 👍. Hopefully they should have models in Australia by then. Wish is was closer to home for them so they could justify using their own people a bit easier than flying half way around the world.

• Llewellyn Evans

March 10, 2022 at 6:22 pm

That sounds like a good idea. It would be heaps of fun.

• Paul Rowe

March 8, 2022 at 11:44 am

Drove through here this weekend twice. Test driving the Aptera through here was on my mind both times. Windy road with lots of bumpy areas. Would be an excellent place to tryout suspension and handling. Hwy 55 running from southern to central Idaho.

• Francis Giroux

March 9, 2022 at 3:54 pm

I remember a road back in 1974 in the southeast corner of Washington State that I took on the way to Air Force Pilots Survival training in Spokane. It started at the Snake River at 1300 ft elevation and went up to 4000 ft elevation in ten miles. It had about a hundred switch back turns. I only drove it up. It was very memorable. Looking at the map I see it could have been Route 129. Its not Lincoln Gap near my high school home town, but I was impressed. If you are near Lincoln Gap, in Vermont, there is another paved road over the mountain on Route 17 just North of there called Appalachian Gap. According to the map, one spot is 28% grade. My daughter raced her bike up that mountain in a stage race. I climbed it in my recumbent trike. Mad River Glen ski area is just over the top on the East side of the mountain.

And who can talk about these minor thrillers without talking about Mount Washington in New Hampshire, the highest peak in North East US, and location of the world record strongest winds, 231 mph in 1934 (beat by 253mph on Barrow Island Australia (1996). 8 miles of climbing 5000 feet.

And of course Pikes Peak, already mentioned.

• Laura Batchelor

March 10, 2022 at 7:27 am

“1) To allow potential customers to see and potentially test drive the vehicle.”

THIS is hugely important – I don’t want to have to fly to CA from FL just to see if I am able get into and out of the car, see out of the windows, not be tortured by the seat, etc. What an enormous waste of our time and money, in addition to unnecessary additional pollution from flying (in direct opposition to one of the major reasons that Aptera is the ultimate vehicle for many of us). Surely they can send an Aptera around the country for test drives by reservation holders, even if it is not a production vehicle. I will certainly drive a for half a day (or even a full day with an overnight stay) to see one if I can have an appointment. Half an hour would be plenty of time to figure out if we’re going to actually plop down a LOT of money for our dream car or if it just won’t work for our old knees and backs.

They can probably do 95% of their testing in CA, but for customers there is no substitute for being able to physically get in and out of the Aptera. PLEASE, PLEASE SEND ONE AROUND THE COUNTRY FOR US TO SEE!

• seth feldman

March 10, 2022 at 6:13 pm

I’d be more interested in it as a battery range/stress test. Different cars different test conditions. Windows up/down AC on Heat on, radio on full blast to see how much each affects range.

• Raymond Tong

December 6, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Joshua,

I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area with an order in for an Aptera. My wife and I are planning a cross-country trip (from SF) to the St. John’s, Newfoundland (the easternmost point in North America) starting off in the early July timeframe. If we do indeed receive our Aptera before then, we are seriously considering taking that vehicle. Our order is for a 400 mile range vehicle, so that seems it would be a reasonable way to go. However, there are more unknowns than known. I am open to hearing thoughts on what considerations other’s might have in making such a trip.

Ray

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

December 6, 2022 at 12:48 pm

If you’re talking about this coming summer, consideration number one. Even if you are order #10001 (The first reservation) and everything currently planned by Aptera goes off without any delays. You wouldn’t be expecting your vehicle till the third quarter of 2023, and then only if you were in the San Diego area.

• Joshua Rosen

December 6, 2022 at 1:04 pm

Great trip, if you swing through New England I’d love to meet up. There are no Superchargers on Newfoundland so you’ll want to buy a Tesla to CCS adapter and reserve hotels that have J1772 chargers. Superchargers are plentiful until you get to Nova Scotia which has a few but not enough. New England is heavily covered with Superchargers so no problem there. You will want to go through Vermont which is the least spoiled state in the union, full of small towns and great mountain roads. You will also want to drive along the Maine coast up to New Brunswick. Portland Maine has great restaurants. The roads in New Brunswick suck, I was last there when I had a Volt and it started to scrape bottom the second we went through the customs booth in Maine, hopefully the Aptera will have enough ground clearance for New Brunswick. Prince Edwards Island roads are fine and it’s well worth a visit. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Nova Scotia but we love the place.

In the 80s I had some time on my hands and decided to see how far North I could drive until the roads ran out. I just pointed the car North and started driving. I went through Maine to New Brunswick to Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and finally to Labrador. There was a 50 mile road along the coast of Labrador but that was it, there were no roads to the interior. The only road to the interior of Labrador was from Quebec. I haven’t looked at a modern map to see if they’ve built anything since then.

• Jeff May

December 6, 2022 at 1:04 pm

This reminds me of the early days of Tesla Model 3 production/deliveries, when Tesla was only delivering a handful of cars in California and people everywhere else in the country had no opportunities to test drive or even see the car in person. So one crazy dude from California (who apparently had plenty of spare time and money on his hands) decided to drive his brand new Model 3 all around the country and give hordes of random people (including myself) a chance to see and/or sit in and/or drive one.

It was mighty nice of him to do, but it would’ve been a lot nicer if Tesla had taken the initiative to do it themselves. But Tesla had no real need for ginning up *even more* publicity, since they already had plenty. In contrast, Aptera might benefit from the headlines and attention it could garner. And it could certainly help give confidence to reservation holders and other potential buyers who might not be comfortable proceeding with a purchase before seeing one in person and “kicking the tires”.

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now