Sun visors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sun visors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sun visors?

• Sun visors?

Posted by laura-batchelor on January 7, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Haven’t seen any discussion of sun visors on the forums, or any sign of them on videos… We really need them. Anyone know if they are planning on having them?

Sam replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 20 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • Sun visors?

Sam updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 20 Members · 31 Replies
  • bruce-mengler

January 7, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Well over a year I submitted a suggestion that the driver side have TWO sun visors so 1 could be positioned over the side window & the other face forward. This avoids having to manually switch the visor position when driving “into the sun” on a twisting road. I was informed it would be considered.

• len

January 7, 2022 at 5:20 pm

In their FAQ they said there will be sun visors.

But no alpha vehicles seems to have them yet or not yet shown

• john-malcom

January 7, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Not a lot of engineering needed to include sun visors. Can easily wait for inclusion in a production version. Would prefer the engineering time be spent on solving major issues. I never use sun visors even though I live in FL. Use polarized sun glasses. I will be happy with whatever they include in production.

• Lou

January 7, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Hate to disagree, John, but when low winter sun is directly in line of sight it can be blinding even with polarized lenses. A visor in those circumstances visor is literally a life-saver. Confident they’ll be on final vehicles!

• BUG

January 8, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Airplane cockpits are SUNNY! at times. Sporty’s Pilot Shop (Online) has “Stick-On” Visors that You can trim to size and shape You might need. I will buy summa Doze.

• joshua-caldwell

January 8, 2022 at 5:48 pm

If they do a visor hopefully they have the version that extends by up to half a foot on a pole as in my Cadillac or by over a foot in my Freightliner. This makes a real difference in the ability to block the sun which could not be fully done in my old Ford.

• LordChad

January 9, 2022 at 9:01 am

Let’s be honest here. What you call Sun visors are really receipt holders that have an unintended consequence of being positioned to block those UV rays.

• Audra

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 10:23 am

Hi Laura,

Great question! We are still working on an appropriate sun visor solution and we will have UV tint in all our windows but you may need to add more. Luckily most places don’t have motorcycle tint restrictions. We’ll be making updates to our online FAQ page as further progress is made. We appreciate your patience at this time and thank you for starting this discussion. Lots of important feedback here.

Thank you!

Audra

• laura-batchelor

January 10, 2022 at 11:30 am

Please, please make the visors so they can expand across the side window past the driver’s head. Our F150 has visors that are too short so we wind up sticking an old 9×13 envelope on the end, which looks really bad and is cumbersome. The sun in Florida is wicked when it’s low, doubly so when bouncing reflections off the water. UV film is not enough.

• Audra

Administrator
        January 12, 2022 at 1:45 pm

Hi Laura,

I have shared this information with the team! Thank you for your insights. We’re striving for the best sun visor solution for our future owners. Agreed – it’s especially important for those living in climates similar to that of Florida!

Kind regards,

Audra

• joe-lyddon

August 15, 2022 at 11:35 am

I feel that sun visors are an absolute MUST! When the sun is situated to completely BLIND you, we need visors to help us SEE where we are going.

They do not have to be ‘works of art’… Just enough to shade our eyes!

Thank you!

• john-malcom

August 15, 2022 at 11:42 am

The production Aptera will have sun visors, but without solar cells

• howard-sharp

August 15, 2022 at 12:55 pm

I hope Aptera will not interpret lack of tint regulation as permission to go crazy with window tints. Living here in the opposite corner of the country (Maine) we have need of sun visors but not much use for radical window tinting. I want to see and be seen, especially at night. On a motorcycle you can always look over the top of a tinted screen. Not in a car.

• joe-lyddon

September 21, 2022 at 9:05 am

If the main visor hinge were on the side closest to the outside (driver & passenger sides), then the hinge could be modified to tilt the visor to the outside to shade sun from the sides.

It’s good to see that it going to be present…

• wingsounds13

October 1, 2022 at 8:56 am

I have long thought that sun visors should slide out of the headliner. Separate shieldsI have long thought that sun visors should slide out of the headliner. Separate shields for the front and sides. Flip down visors are a throwback from the old days and convertibles, neither of which is represented by Aptera. Also, in my experience the classic flip down sun visor leaves large areas uncovered. The sun frequently finds its way into these gaps.

• ROMAD

October 1, 2022 at 9:08 am

But then you would not be able to rotate the visor to block the sun when it is coming in the side window. The main problem I have is with those stupid windshield mounted mirrors that leave a large gap above them! VW has a tiny fold down visor for that area but it is positioned too far to the rear to really be effective. I never had this problem with the top windshield frame mounting of mirrors; moving the mirrors to the glass was just another stupid decision by the auto makers.

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

September 27, 2023 at 4:21 am

How can you block the sun (morning rise/ afternoon set) from glaring against your eyes from the left side driver window, while driving?

Basing from the very latest renders, the Aptera sun visor hinge joint (still) can only flip fore and aft.

For a supposedly “advanced” and futuristic road going e-vehicle (prestigious, as solar powered), the Aptera sun visors has a (backward) archaic (ala pre WWII era), plain jane non side-pivoting design. Not even an extender. Hilarious.

How can Aptera overlook these ubiquitous sun visor design features, so common today that no one even bat’s an eye (but I do; pun). I’d say it’s a poor design & ergonomics. An impediment to daytime safe driving.

Yes certainly, we do love the Sun. It’ll power free energy for our Apteras. But please, keep the damn thing away from blaring blindly against my eyes through the left driver side window, while I’m trying to drive my Aptera safely (with only 3 windows to contend with).

P.S. – Sorry for the rant. Paging Audra..it’s been over a year since posting Jan 2022.

• Kamakiri

October 8, 2023 at 3:52 pm

Chris Anthony mentioned that the design for the sun visors is complete. Hopefully we get some sort of rendering or video sooner than later. It’s not a huge concern of mine as I have no problem driving with the sun on my face as long as the windows are clean, but I thought there were many good questions about it brought up in this thread.

• joe-lyddon

October 8, 2023 at 9:59 pm

I hope we get sun shade from the Drivers’ Side as well as from Front…. Same for Passenger side,,, from the side as well as from front!

December 17, 2023 at 11:48 am

Any PI updates of the (then single pivot) sun visors?

• craig-merrow

December 17, 2023 at 2:50 pm

The early (up to 1959) Volkswagens had just one tinted plastic visor for the the drivers side. I’ve driven a couple of those…talk about blinding! Pretty sure Aptera will have something suitable for their application, will be interesting to see what they come up with.

December 17, 2023 at 6:23 pm

Jason innovatively solved the wheel pant tire valve access issue, with the “switchblade” front wheel pant doors and “porthole” rear pant access door..I’d expect his brilliance (again) to solve as rudimentary, as sun visors (in sunny Aptera Carlsbad no less 😉). The current iteration, with the mid mount, single pivot fore/aft folding mechanism, is next to useless.

• Sam

January 1, 2024 at 11:40 am

I use this on the driver side, it’s retractable. The two suction cup mounts were reduced to one and I got rid of the cup and stuck the plastic fork like moun into the molding at the headliner (I hope Aptera has it too). The shade slides back and forth on the single mount. The mount could be positioned wherever up there but is tight, too tight to slide.

February 25, 2024 at 1:05 am

I wonder if we’ll ever see revised sun visors, that can swivels sideways to block the side window sun glares.

• Mike-Mars

February 25, 2024 at 3:46 am

I don’t see why not, that’s a common design so shouldn’t add too much to the cost. The spring clips do seem to fail eventually though (I’m on my third set on a 22 year old car).

• Greek

February 25, 2024 at 8:19 am

My plans are to use a very dark tint on the long strip portion not part of the retractible driver and passenger windows.

• Sam

February 25, 2024 at 2:20 pm

You could go to a place like ceramicpro.com and get film that’ll block 99.99% uv, 85% heat and vlts as low as 70%.

• JRWiley

February 26, 2024 at 4:33 am

What would the impact be on the solar collection of the dash solar cells with this kind of windshield tint?

• Sam

February 26, 2024 at 5:09 am

You’re putting words into my mouth. Did I say “windshield”?

• JRWiley

February 26, 2024 at 5:41 am

Oh – sorry. Posted before coffee. Thanks for the info on Ceramic Pro.

• Sam

February 26, 2024 at 11:28 am

Thumbs Up

or to reply.