Supporting side-view cameras…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Supporting side-view cameras…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Supporting side-view cameras…

• Supporting side-view cameras…

• kerbe2705

March 14, 2022 at 9:54 am
  • Curtis Cibinel

March 14, 2022 at 10:36 am

Hopefully this also circulates in Tesla communities and we will see 100,000+ people apply. Even for gas vehicles cameras would improve fuel economy by a few % so this shouldn’t be ignored; that is a lot of barrels of extra oil.

Their methodology seems rather painfully rigid so it seems unlikely we will see any change for atleast 3-5 years. EU data should have been enough to address this years ago but entrenched bureaucracies take time to change anything.

The research will involve human subjects testing in which instrumented vehicles are stationary or driven on a test track and public roads. Study participants will be members of the general public and participation will be voluntary. The goal is to characterize drivers’ eye glance behavior and other driving behaviors while operating a vehicle equipped with traditional outside mirrors versus while operating a vehicle equipped with a camera-based visibility system in place of vehicle outside mirrors. This research will support NHTSA decisions relating to safe implementation of electronic visibility technologies that may be considered for use as alternatives to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 111 mirror requirements.

As a Canadian we tend to inherit most US road rules and don’t put an effort into our own decision making/research.

• Raj Giandeep

March 14, 2022 at 11:06 am

It’s very odd they are just starting this process now. Should have started a couple years back at the very least. I agree I don’t see them moving very quickly in adopting this approval to side view mirrors.

I hope the Aptera side mirrors are made modular to remove the reflective mirror extension & just keep the camera side mirrors.

• John Malcom

March 14, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Speaking from a research technical design perspective they are using an archaic approach for their research. There are many canned Design of Experiments (DOE) they could select from to get valid and reliable results in a few months with a large sample size. But it is the government so shouldn’t expect efficiency or expediency.

The best approach and quite sound, would be to do a peer review of the European data and results. This would save the expense and time of doing an analysis themselves and be of greater value to the public who they are supposed to serve.

This recommendation will be a part of my “Public” comment.

• Raj Giandeep

March 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Do you think the best option for this form is select “Public Comment” for the dropdown
    What is your comment about?

I’m thinking mentioning the increased safety from a digital mirror & the less fuel or electricity used to move a vehicle would be reduced & lead to better air quality. Cost the country less in energy, etc.

• John Malcom

March 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm

I believe the argument would be stronger if you site data to support your assertions. I believe the statements you have in your post are some of the things the NHTSA will be focusing on in their three years of assessment which means they don’t have data to support those assertions or counter assertions at this time.

The quickest path to resolution is to accept the EU assessment and resulting approval of cameras in place of mirrors. The EU has done the work already why not leverage that effort. Even though this is the right thing to do, I would say that it would not be a popular position as it would mean less jobs and smaller budget for the NHTSA. In the end, it is “All about me” and my share of the budget pie in government agencies.

My suggestion would be that either the Aptera marketing group or our legislative lobbying group craft the message we would like sent and then enlist all of us to put forward that message. Much like was done with the form letters for our legislative representatives. In addition to that “Consistent” public comment, the legislative lobbyers should coordinate visits to key legislators with the same message at the same time.

• kerbe2705

March 14, 2022 at 7:14 pm

“American Exceptionalism”…

• Joshua Rosen

March 15, 2022 at 2:01 pm

This is a case of unexceptionalism. No bureaucracy has an incentive to be efficient.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 15, 2022 at 12:46 pm
  • Vernon Michael Gardner

March 15, 2022 at 9:20 pm

From the other side mirror chat.

According to the federal government that they are going to start a 3-year test program to decide whether side mirrors or cameras should be used in the future. If you want to get in on the testing I posted the link down below.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/03/14/2022-05237/agency-information-collection-activities-submission-to-the-office-of-management-and-budget-for

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now