Tandem Autocycle spotted in Prescott, AZ

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tandem Autocycle spotted in Prescott, AZ

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tandem Autocycle spotted in Prescott, AZ

• Tandem Autocycle spotted in Prescott, AZ

• Dennis Swaney

May 17, 2022 at 11:44 am

As I was driving my wife to a doctor’s appointment today, a small enclosed tandem vehicle passed us in the opposite direction. The cabin area was very narrow squared off and above the lower body. I looked for a photo on Google but didn’t find any that matched what I saw.

• Robert Howe

May 17, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Could it have been a “Tango”? There’s only 12 of them built but it’s a two-seater tandem-style and quite narrow.

http://www.commutercars.com/

• Dennis Swaney

May 17, 2022 at 7:21 pm

IIRC, the lower body was wider than the upper cab portion.

• larry kaiser

May 17, 2022 at 6:08 pm

You saw my Elio!

• Dennis Swaney

May 17, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Nope, the body looked much more conservative than the Elio. Were you in Prescott, AZ this morning?

• kerbe2705

May 17, 2022 at 9:24 pm

@Dennis Swaney Perhaps an Arcimoto?

• Peter Jorgensen

May 18, 2022 at 8:48 am

It wasn’t a Solo was it? Those just started deliveries.

• Dennis Swaney

May 18, 2022 at 3:51 pm

That might be it as the upper cab and lower body shapes & proportions are close to what I remember glimpsing. Our closing rate was at least 80mph since the road has a 40mph speed limit. After looking at the website, I’m guessing that it doesn’t have a second seat so “tandem” wouldn’t apply. I still prefer the Aptera, but I wonder if solar charging could be added to the Solo later?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Dennis Swaney.
  • Peter Jorgensen

May 18, 2022 at 8:50 am

Vanderhall?

• Peter Jorgensen

May 18, 2022 at 8:51 am

Trihawk 304?

• Peter Jorgensen

May 18, 2022 at 8:52 am

Morgan 3 wheeler?

• Peter Jorgensen

May 18, 2022 at 8:54 am

Myers motors nmg?

• Kevin Bradbury

May 18, 2022 at 5:09 pm

The Electra Meccanica Solo’s DNA is from the Myer’s Sparrow. The Solos have opened an assembly plant in AZ so most likely the OP saw a Solo. There is a Youtuber named Awwki who lives in the Phoenix area and drives one. I had seriously considered one but I had 3 strong reservations of it. Cost for what you get, 5 inch road clearance and belt driven rear wheel. Add in poor ride quality and that killed it for me. Hope it holds up for Awwki who seems like a good kid just trying to get by.

• Russell Fauver

May 18, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Sondors? Probably not, it doesn’t have tandem seating. That, and they never really built any of ’em. Pretty car though. I wouldn’t mind having one.

• Dennis Swaney

May 31, 2022 at 7:56 pm

I saw it again today as I was pulling into McDonalds and he was leaving. It definitely is a Solo. Now I just have to see him parked somewhere around town to see how he likes it.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 31, 2022 at 8:31 pm

There’s one that lives about 3 blocks from my house. A friend of his is a local pilot friend of mine. He posted a FB video of it going for some speed at the Lodi airport, unfortunately I have no idea how to link that outside of Facebook.

• Francis Giroux

June 1, 2022 at 2:20 pm

I guess it didn’t have two wheels if you called it an autocycle.

• Dennis Swaney

June 1, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Pretty neat looking! What is it, Francis? Are those “training wheels”?

• Curtis Cibinel

June 1, 2022 at 5:20 pm

Solo has its place but it definitely has some major tradeoffs. Not having DCFC makes it 100% limited to being a commuter. This youtube channel goes into good detail on his experiences https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmNIm1P5sfpxcVf5WxbvJyA

Personally I think much of niche being filled by the Solo could be handled by enclosed e-bikes like the CityQ or Foras. A 25 mph ebike in many cities will outpace traffic and with no insurance required it is a very cheap option to get around.

• Christopher J Harris

June 15, 2022 at 5:32 am

The one with the training wheels is a Swiss company vehicle. Test rode it maybe 10 years ago powered by a 1200 BMW bike motor at the time but then they built an one electric which I test rode in Long Beach maybe 7-8 years ago. The ICE model test went 150 on the autobahn. Quite a thrill the outrigger wheels deploy below 5mph to keep it from over falling. They fold up into the body are you get going.

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now