Tapping the Battery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tapping the Battery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tapping the Battery?

• Tapping the Battery?

• Nolan Parsons

April 7, 2022 at 4:24 am

Has there been talk of being able to use the battery and solar charge for other things?

If my math is right a full solar pack generates up to 4kW a day under ideal conditions, not enough to power a house but certainly some appliances on an extension cord with a multi plug when the lights go out or you’re camping. Perhaps when you’re aptera is fully charges it could even be possible to redirect the excess solar energy generated into the grid and take a good 10 to 20 dollars off your monthly home electricity bill.

• Alain Chuzel

April 7, 2022 at 6:04 am

I wish I can tell you where you’ll find the answer but there certainly has been some “chatter” about “vehicle to load”, “vehicle to grid” and “vehicle to home” on this forum. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.

BTW, I’m not sure what you mean by “…a full solar pack generates up to 4kW a day…”(?) I suspect you meant that Aptera with “full solar” can generate up to on the order of 4kW-Hrs of ENERGY a day with it’s nominally 700 watt peak POWER solar array. Energy and Power are different things.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Alain Chuzel.
  • Bob Kirchner

April 7, 2022 at 10:24 am

My understanding from reading between the lines of the various FAQs on this topic is that the limitation in discharge rate is in the available battery cooling through the belly pan. Therefore while they have said they would like to offer some Vehicle To Load function, it would likely be limited to one 120 volt, 15 Amp circuit. Basically a single wall plug.

• Nolan Parsons

April 7, 2022 at 11:01 am

That sounds perfect for an extension cord and multi plug the next time a storm takes out the power where i live, thanks.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now