Teaser time!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Teaser time!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Teaser time!

• Teaser time!

• kerbe2705

August 5, 2022 at 1:33 pm

Aptera just announced on FB that they plan to release the Gamma prototype next week (08/07-13/2022) and posted these images of staffers at the yoke. Observations: No visible dashboard solar cells; No visible rear-view screen (perhaps it’s been incorporated into the screen ahead if the yoke?); Adjustable steering column lever; No fabric texture on dash or yoke; Inset door latching mechanism; Many white surfaces.

• Jared Cormier

August 5, 2022 at 1:54 pm

That looks surprisingly good…. A little bit later than we were told, but seems like Chris will be back from Taiwan with an announcement…

• Ron Glossin

August 6, 2022 at 11:22 am

Would dashboard solar cells be cost effective

the efficiency of solar panels behind a glass

Simply, if the light rays are refracted inside the glass surface before reaching the surface of the solar panels, then logically the number of photons reaching the solar panel will be less because of all the sunlight lost as a consequence of reflection by the glass the efficiency of solar panels behind a glass

Simply, if the light rays are refracted inside the glass surface before reaching the surface of the solar panels, then logically the number of photons reaching the solar panel will be less because of all the sunlight lost as a consequence of reflection by the glass

• Alain Chuzel

August 9, 2022 at 7:59 am

It’s not so much about the “refraction” as it is about the multiple “reflections” and the “absorption”. Refraction, in a rather simplistic way, is just bending.

• cody dahl

August 5, 2022 at 2:54 pm

The teaser is just making me more nervous about the yoke it looks like you have so little to hold onto. I am liking the interior more than I thought I would tho.

• Markus Schmid

August 7, 2022 at 3:36 am

A steering wheel is not meant to hold on to. It’s a control element.

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:01 am

Can’t have much control without hold!

• Llewellyn Evans

August 7, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Hi Dennis, Just push the wheel around with a Thesaurus.😀

• Bob Kirchner

August 5, 2022 at 2:57 pm

Seat belts? Air bags?

So many questions.

• kerbe2705

August 5, 2022 at 8:19 pm

@Bob Kirchner Yes, the production model will have both. This prototype is still two levels away from production – we don’t even know if it’s a rolling vehicle or just a design study.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 6, 2022 at 4:01 am

Most engineers will disagree with you regarding those two more iterations having any significant adjustments. If they did, then we will never see this autocycle on the road.

Mule/Alpha, EVT/Eval/Beta, DVT/Devel/Gamma and PVT/Prod/Delta are the phases, and their various names, for actual quality successful production that have been part of my electronic engineering life for 40 years. Sometimes we skip DVT/Gamma if EVT/Beta happened to be flawless. Once we got to DVT/Gamma, you had the daily driver that may have cosmetic blemishes, but otherwise imperceptible from production. EVT was a coin toss whether it was supported or not depending on critical mistakes in design. There may be EVT1 and EVT2 if the solutions needed to be proven out. We never split any phases after this, laser focus for the finish line.

IMHO you will not see any significant changes in the design for production. At most colours might change, that is the only visible components. Because if you do see any changes, it will mean Aptera is doomed. Investors will vanish, dogs and cats will be sleeping with each other.

If what you see in the more detailed Gamma reveal next week does not make you smile, or makes you wish for more adjustments, please get out of the way, they have to rigidly unwaveringly cycle to production or else. Only questions on your mind must be ‘can I adjust to this new world that is the Aptera? ‘

• Gary Greenway

August 6, 2022 at 4:34 am

You are forgetting that we do not have to accept Aptera as produced in gamma or delta form. Once we buy it we are free to modify it to better suit our needs. For example, my first planned mod is to replace that goofy yoke with something more befitting my personal impression of the rest of the car.

• kerbe2705

August 6, 2022 at 11:08 pm

@Mark Salyzyn Did I state that there would be significant adjustments made between Gamma and Production? No – I pointed-out that the images might NOT be of a full, rolling prototype vehicle, that this might just be a “design mule”. The images don’t show many things expected in the final vehicle – from seatbelts to sun visors.

Aptera has said – repeatedly – that there will be four levels of prototyping: At one point Chris mused that they might skip one level but then recanted in later interviews. My comment to Bob was intended to reassure him that – just because we don’t see something in THESE images doesn’t mean that it won’t be included in the production vehicle.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 7, 2022 at 10:36 am

@kerbe2705 “images might NOT be of a full, rolling prototype vehicle, that this might just be a “design mule”images might NOT be of a full, rolling prototype vehicle, that this might just be a “design mule””

With respect.

Then this one is not Gamma? If _anything_ changes, colour notwithstanding, between these images and production, they can _only_ be to aid the speed, quality and realities of the assembly line; otherwise Aptera will fail to meet delivery deadlines.

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 11:41 am

Mark, as I’ve said before, all they have to do is to deliver ONE vehicle to ONE person (99.9% chance it will be an employee) NLT 11:59 PM 31 Dec 22 PST to meet their “deadline”. Based on their lack of openness on features, safety testing, etc. I sincerely doubt any non-employee/investor will get a vehicle for several months into 2023. Just safety testing will take a couple of months, before they can sell deliver to the public.

• Francis Giroux

August 7, 2022 at 3:03 pm

We don’t have any stinking deadlines. We have targets and hopes. There is no date that if it is missed the whole company goes away (poof). Relax and let these guys do their best work without rushing and criticizing them.

• John Malcom

August 7, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Mark’s statements are spot on.

Only minor changes can be supported by budget and schedule from Gamma to Delta. So the Gamma we will or hope to see the week of 8 August is essentially what will go to production with or without all of the features that have been discussed on the forum from time to time. And at that point those that are interested in an Aptera will need to make up their mind if that configuration has deal breakers or they can live with the vehicle as engineered and built for production.

I am purchasing for efficiency so there is no question that the production vehicle will meet my expectations.

• Dennis Swaney

August 5, 2022 at 8:55 pm

There is at least the one in the steering device otherwise it would not be so puffy.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 5, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Steering device ? I love your name for the yoke !

• Bob Kirchner

August 6, 2022 at 8:11 am

AVUI: Analog Vector User Interface.

• Dennis Swaney

August 6, 2022 at 9:56 pm

yoke

/yōk/

<i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”>noun

1. a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull.

2. a part of a garment that fits over the shoulders and to which the main part of the garment is attached, typically in gathers or pleats. “the pinafore fell amply from a short yoke”

😉

Gawd, what piss-poor forum software!

• Mark Salyzyn

August 5, 2022 at 3:01 pm

🙂

• Bob Kirchner

August 5, 2022 at 3:15 pm

As you say, it’s possible the rear view is incorporated into the side view screens. If that’s the case, I would rather they had located the whole thing up where the rear view mirror would traditionally go, which would allow the use of a full steering wheel.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 6, 2022 at 6:00 am

I thought they were going to integrate screens.

Side view, reverse view, wheel view etc into less screens. I see something in one image that looks like the left view, but not one for the right view. Continuous panoramic rear view (as opposed to big screen reverse slow speed view?) is gone, which screen(s) is it on now? WAG above the steering device?

I can not wait until we get the new outline of screen usage.

• Bob Kirchner

August 6, 2022 at 8:12 am

The screen in front of the driver, above the yoke.

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:04 am

Yep, it is a triple display screen (based on the dimensions).

• Lane Costilow

August 5, 2022 at 3:39 pm

White surfaces in Deming NM. It won’t be long before they’re off-white, then beige. Oh, well, I’m not buying it for the colors.

• Norman Roberts

August 6, 2022 at 7:06 am

I had a Tesla Model X with all white interior in AZ and it was great, if it is a quality material it cleans up easily

• Michael May

August 5, 2022 at 4:06 pm

Still no sun visors as far as I can tell. They’ve stated that there will be visors, I’m just very surprised that the Gamma doesn’t have them.

• Chris Merriott

August 5, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Looks sharp. Not much of the dash is actually shown so I’m not sure how you could determine whether it has solar cells or not. I imagine this one has a solar rear hatch and that’s why there’s no rear view anything. Can’t wait to see the whole thing!!!

• Mark Salyzyn

August 6, 2022 at 6:01 am

There is no difference between solar hatch or not, rear view is cameras.

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:06 am

He means photos of the rear area, Mark.

• Ray Holan

August 5, 2022 at 4:24 pm

The key word here is teaser. Best to not leap to conclusions based on a couple of FB images. There should be many more substantial photos with significantly more detail (we hope!) that we can analyze to death very soon.

• John Malcom

August 5, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Good observation/caution to all. looks like Aptera favors FB over this forum

• Philip Sandiford

August 5, 2022 at 8:11 pm

One cannot resonate and amplify in a forum as effectively as FB.

For better or worse.

• kerbe2705

August 5, 2022 at 8:21 pm

@Ray Holan But what’s the point of jumping at all if we can’t jump directly into the deep end? 🤣

A little hysteria is good for the soul…

• Mark Salyzyn

August 6, 2022 at 6:03 am

@kerbe2705 Hysterical 😉

• Ray Holan

August 6, 2022 at 6:36 am

Far be it for me to curb anyone’s enthusiasm;) Just sayin’ there’s a whole lot more to come.

• Bart Cunningham

August 5, 2022 at 4:53 pm

WOW – WAY too much white! Rear view mirror is gone but something is still up there, maybe some lights??? I really wish it was still a rear camera view up there. I think I can get used to a yoke but that one is UGLY and has too much white but that is only temporary as I am sure it will be dirty in no time. Not thinking much will stay white very long and there is way too much white. Can’t see much of the dash but it does look too smooth to have the solar cells as it had before unless they have them covered over with a very smooth surface. And have I mentioned there is way too much white?

• Dennis Swaney

August 5, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Fabric Spray Dye is your friend!

• Kevin Bradbury

August 5, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Yes boss, it looks GREAT! SO WHITE! You were SO RIGHT to suggest Titanium White. NO, you can never have too much uh, Titanium?. It’s so clean lookeeeng, annnd long wearing, annnd, it’s sooo, uh, sooo,CALMING! Yeah, so smart! Really, reeelly great. And um, OH! On a side note, have you signed off on my performance review yet,,, by chance?

• Jared Cormier

August 5, 2022 at 8:39 pm

So, while everyone’s looking at the interior and how white it is, I noticed a few other things:

I’m pretty sure that body doesn’t have a vinyl wrap

The door hinge is in a different location

There’s a recess in the roof probably structural shaping done there

There’s an inset area on the dash just to the left of the rear-view screens; not sure what that’s about

The stitching on the steering wheel is interesting.

• kerbe2705

August 5, 2022 at 10:29 pm

@Jared Cormier The door hinge position changed with the Beta renders.

I’m not so sure that’s an inset – I believe it’s just decorative as there appears to be another on the other end of the dash.

In what way is the stitching interesting? It appears fairly normal to me…

• Jared Cormier

August 6, 2022 at 10:25 am

Most stitches are simply baseball or x-stitches, this one has stitches that cross at different locations and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that design outside of a BMW….

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:08 am

I never saw the beta with any doors doors on it; it was basically a test mule for suspension.

• kerbe2705

August 9, 2022 at 9:20 pm

@Dennis Swaney Note that I said “the Beta renders”, not “the Beta”…

• Kevin Bradbury

August 6, 2022 at 9:16 am

@Jared Cormier – “There’s an inset area on the dash just to the left of the rear-view screens; not sure what that’s about”

I don’t see it as a recess. It looks to me like there is a step-up so to speak of the white material behind the screen and a shadow makes the black material appear recessed. The recess looking area on the left lines up with the far right which doesn’t look recessed.

Concerning for me, I don’t see any kind of vents.

Edit – After downloading the pics with the area in question so I could enlarge, I stand by that it is not a recess, but it appears to be a separate piece that may be a speaker or a placeholder for a future speaker, or, hopefully a future vent.

• Jared Cormier

August 6, 2022 at 10:30 am

Good call, was just looking at the pictures on my phone and it wouldn’t let me enlarge them in the view. Might just be a placeholder for something (or speaker?).

• Steve Wanamaker

August 5, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I absolutely love the white interior! The short brunette is demonstrating something I have been wondering about: Fit for shorter people. I hope the steering wheel will lower (probably does). I also wonder if the seat can be raised. I’m 5’7″ and have a short torso, so I’m wondering if I will have to take the seat off and put some spacers under it.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 5, 2022 at 10:41 pm

I like the white. I just don’t like all the dirt that will be showing on it.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 4:04 am

It only shows up as an ordering option Greenland customers.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 5, 2022 at 10:47 pm

I am surprised they have so much white when it is so universally hated.

• Gary Greenway

August 6, 2022 at 4:40 am

Things are different in California.

• kerbe2705

August 6, 2022 at 11:12 pm

@Pistonboy Delux The white interior is one of the most popular Tesla options – so I wouldn’t say, “universally”. I, for one, don’t live in that universe and rather like the white – but I have neither kids nor pets, nor do I ever eat in my vehicles…

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:11 am

Hmmm, maybe Aptera is investing heavily into fabric spray dye companies? 😉

• Kevin Bradbury

August 7, 2022 at 10:35 am

@Dennis Swaney – Or there was a bargain basement sale on white.😜

• Pistonboy Delux

August 5, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Has the turn signal lever gone back to the Tesla shape?

• Pistonboy Delux

August 5, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Re: the picture with the adult in it. In the lower left corner, it shows a piece of “metal” folded over the door sill with a screw in it. Is this the aluminum belly pan? There also appears a cable directly above it. The picture has to be enlarged. Otherwise, it is cropped off in the smaller pictures.

• Riley ________________________________

August 6, 2022 at 1:20 am

The folded piece may actually be part of the front quarter panel and the wire may be the door support strut/shock.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 3:20 am

Yep. I agree with Riley.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 6, 2022 at 10:33 am

Does this mean the front quarter panel is now metal or is it still composite? A simple screw head would hold against metal just fine. But there would be the danger of pulling through composite. Perhaps these are closer to production intent versions, but not to be taken too seriously.

• kerbe2705

August 6, 2022 at 11:26 pm

@Pistonboy Delux At 400% it appears to be a rivet and not a screw…

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 3:19 am

The interior is the new color scheme “Glacial”.

It reminds us of the smooth curves of ice found in nature.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 3:21 am

just kidding

• Steven G. Bueche

August 6, 2022 at 5:00 am

I like this. (Glacial) WHITE OMG! lol I’ve got a white interior in my M3 and have no problems with keeping it clean. According to Tesla, simply wipe down with Baby Wipes. It works. Don’t know if it’s Pineapple leather or not but it’s not the end of the world. If fact, I wish white was an option compared to the other choices.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 5:03 am

I want to tell you a story.

Some years ago I worked for an AWESOME company called Silverbrook Research.

They had great people and technology. They were the smartest most talented group of managers, engineers, technicians and trades people I have ever seen anywhere. It was a privilege to be among them.

They went broke because they did not get out of development mode. They had a production line ready to start production and then decided to make the product twice as long. As a result they burned through BILLIONS before going broke.

My role was to test automated production equipment against specs to ensure it was ready to send to the production line. I had data that showed one machine (LCP Bonder) was failing to meet a heater platen temperature planarity specification. I flagged it but was not listened to. The machine went to the product development site for inclusion in their production line.

They had problems with ink bleeding between channels and could not work out why.

4 years later they were still having problems with the product. The parts were getting microscopic cracks inside that were leaking ink between channels. The same engineer that sent the machine to the production line came and told me that it was because the heater platen temperature planarity was out of spec. I reminded him of the test results. He told me that he did not believe the results at the time because it did not seem possible that the temperature could be so wrong.

Here is what I learned.

If you are in testing. Blow the whistle if something is wrong. Do it loudly and don’t stop. The entire company may depend on it.

If you are in senior management get the crew out of R&D mode. Get into production mode ASAP.

If you are money guy … spend less.

DON’T MAKE THE BEST PRODUCT NEVER MADE.

• Ray Holan

August 6, 2022 at 6:41 am

Thanks for the story, Llewellyn. A cautionary tale for sure.

• Paul Schultz

August 6, 2022 at 5:04 am

I am concerned about the driver seating position. The one pic with the guy shows a semi-reclined posture. that wreaks havoc on the lower spine, particularly in longer drives. For those of us with lower back issues and/or past lumbar surgery careful consideration of lumbar posture is vital for a comfortable driving experience. I hope Aptera takes this into consideration. Especially given the fact they are marketing extended mileage battery options.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 6, 2022 at 5:16 am

One of the girls looks like she can’t see over the dash. I might have to sit on a cushion.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 6, 2022 at 5:43 am

And we know the seats are adjustable. There are lots of videos that report the unexpected headroom in previous incarnation. I expect the random choice of recline is just unfortunate, all I see are engineers and staff overjoyed getting a moment to sit in the car.

Sounds like you need to Plan a trip to the expo Sept 10-11th in SD to alieviate your fears.

• Kevin Bradbury

August 6, 2022 at 9:03 am

I concur with @Mark Salyzyn. My take is the seats were first laid back to photograph an empty cockpit and the rake of the seat looks better empty aligning with the back of the door opening. It looks to me that the younger folks have adjusted the seat, because their arms are more bent and their torsos appear more upright than the brown-haired gentleman.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 6, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Did you also notice in the reclined position you can’t see the bottom half of the screen?

• Kevin Bradbury

August 6, 2022 at 9:28 am

@kerbe2705 – There’s a little bit of textured material on the “ears” of the yoke.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 6, 2022 at 9:49 am

I know it’s only gamma but would it correct to think the sideviews, rearview, and backup view are all in the screen directly in front of the Yoke? What about the top down view while parking?

• Pistonboy Delux

August 6, 2022 at 10:43 am

Perhaps the sideviews (usually closer to being square shaped) are on each side, and the rearview (usually having a wider shape) is in the upper middle, and speed and other indicators are in the lower middle.

It would be nice if these are active displays, actually showing what is displayed. But I suspect they will be inactive displays.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 6, 2022 at 11:25 am

They probably are active -always on. But I bet the middle is all rearview except when reversing, when it switches to the lower mounted backup camera. I know the rearview camera was high but it seems to have been replaced with a third brake light. Or maybe it’s still up there.

• Pistonboy Delux

August 6, 2022 at 10:46 am

On the side of the white dash, there appears to be a black “knob” sticking out very prominently. Does anyone know what this is for? It has been present on other models.

• Jared Cormier

August 6, 2022 at 11:04 am

Totally just a SWAG based on all the vehicles I’ve worked with in the past… I’d hazard a guess that a fuse panel lives right behind it.

• Steve Wanamaker

August 6, 2022 at 11:26 am

I’m wondering if that could be a cover for the additional solar input wire plug.

• Selvan Poothamby

August 6, 2022 at 11:29 am

It’s where the umbrella goes

• Dennis Swaney

August 7, 2022 at 9:35 am

But only for the UK model!

• Steve Wanamaker

August 10, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Never mind. I was thinking about the knob on the back by the license plate.

• Russell Fauver

August 6, 2022 at 11:38 am

Is it the button that the door presses against to turn off the entry, dome light?

• John Malcom

August 6, 2022 at 11:53 am

👍

• Selvan Poothamby

August 6, 2022 at 12:34 pm

Thought the same but I think it’d be more inconspicuous than unless maybe it also doubles as a temporary cutoff for those wanting the doors left open while outside cleaning the windows to good music.

• kerbe2705

August 6, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Possibly a bumper between the door and the dash?

• Pistonboy Delux

August 9, 2022 at 8:28 am

Perhaps it is a dispenser for dispensing martinis to James Bond. You KNOW he would be driving a vehicle this sleek!

• Dennis Swaney

August 9, 2022 at 8:36 am

But then the suspension would have to be harsher so they could be “shaken, not stirred”!

Viewing 1 - 25 of 30 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now