Security features and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Security features and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Security features and info

• Security features and info

• Francisco Ambrocio

August 11, 2021 at 6:26 am

Seeing that autopilot level 2 autonomy will be available for a premium..will there also be a feature similar to sentry mode available? This sev will no doubt attract attention good and bad. I was thinking it will be a good idea to include this feature to all apteras.

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 7:06 am

Features like that (along with dog mode, etc) may not be available at launch but will likely come later as the firmware for the vehicle matures.

• Dan Roberts

August 11, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Gabe no offense is intended but how do you know what the initial software will include. Are surmising or do you have some communication from the company that you are passing on? Thank you in advance for the clarification.

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I am going by trends in past vehicle launches and pressure to get the vehicle to customers. Features like that which can likely be accomplished with a future firmware update, can be left for later. Basic playback of one or more cameras is likely to be included, but full Sentry mode like functionality will likely take some development.

• Dan Roberts

August 11, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Gabe. Sometimes it is confusing because I don’t think we get much technical information from the company except for the webinars which we haven’t had in a while. We are all desperate for information from the company so its nice when we know the source of information. Thank you for the clarification.

• Curtis Cibinel

January 3, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Tesla has year of software refinement adding features based on user needs. Aptera and others are playing catchup but as long as the hardware is in place the point that features will be added over time is inevitable. The company isn’t going to go out of its way to list every tesla feature it doesn’t have. Sentry mode is a critical one that hopefully can be addressed early since this vehicle will attract attention.

• Daniel Crotty

August 16, 2021 at 2:02 pm

Software in the car can “Warn” us if we are about to hit something.

Perhaps it should also be made to Beep if we are about to be hit. I recall watching my brother back into my car and I could not get his attention before the crunch. An Audible sound (&/or flashing lights) would get the attention of those nearby.

I have already tried to get people interested in having at a minimum a Dash-Cam option, or at least wiring and attachments already there on delivery. These too can be turned on to capture video of an incident.

• Len Nowak

August 16, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I have “heard” proximity sensors for the front and at least a sensor for the back were in the plans, and hope they can share “were they are in on that” in the validation (Beta) vehicle(s).

IMHO It seems like they are focusing on the big items first ? I would hope sensors are an easy add-on???

• kerbe2705

April 21, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Len, usually the sensors are “built-in” – you can see them on many vehicles as body-colored discs, about the size of a dime – usually along the front and rear bumpers and fenders.

• Daniel Crotty

August 16, 2021 at 4:01 pm

I added the auto driving stuff for my order. So I “assume” the sensors will be there. What sparked this thought was my being not in the car, and someone about to hit it. So why not blast an alert. That could get annoying in a parking lot, but I would rather hear it than the sound associated with a dent I am about to make.

At least some DashCams will start recording if something gets picked up and the car is parked.

• Len Nowak

August 16, 2021 at 4:06 pm

Yeah… I have no idea if it is part of that or std but…. I added everything to my preorder as I do not have to commit until it turns to an order and there should be plenty of Apetrae out there before my order comes due

• Arlen Bell

December 2, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Does anyone know yet what Aptera is planning regarding cameras for driver assist/self driving? I’d really like to see a camera security capability like what Tesla has. Aptera will look like nothing on the road and will attract a lot of attention. It would be good to be able to have a record of what goes on around it – driving and parked.

• Steve Lee

December 2, 2021 at 12:49 pm

I completely agree with you. We need a sentry mode on this vehicle. It looks so unique that it will elicit strong feelings positive or negative.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 2, 2021 at 1:26 pm

Since the vehicle has the camera’s already for rearview, mirrors and optionally forward for safetypilot (level 2) it should be possible to add in the future in software. Hopefully even if we dont have the feature day 1 we will have an infrastructure in the design that it can be added in future software update.

• Clifford Williams

December 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Related to this indicating that the car is not moving I would like to suggest that all vehicles have lights indicating stopped, slowing, accelerating, or coasting. I searched and found a patent for similar lighting system. https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060125615

• Tim Dean

December 19, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Aptera engineers need to immediately contact Teledyne and look into their FLIR system for autonomy sensors which combine thermal, normal & LiDAR sensors to pierce all weather conditions and artificial intelligence. This is the future of automotive autonomy.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 19, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Unfortunately being patented makes the idea that all could have such a system less likely. This is something that would need to be established by government because needing to pay license fees to install something that isnt legally required just wont happen.

• George Hughes

January 3, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I agree with Curt and Dan that we expect that Apera will have a relatively stark set of main functions on launch but will be missing some of the so-called special apps that may have proven popular on Tesla, which is leading in this area.

I would think one approach these folks – who are BTW from SCal and have been deeply associated with the tech industry – are aware of is how folks like Apple and Google have filled the app-gap by creating software development kits and offering it to a world-wide, independent app-building universe who create apps, submit them for review and security and then, with those vetted apps are offered in an online store. It is not at all unusual for app developers to be brought in with attractive terms for a new product launch. The right-to-repair credo of Aptera ought to be a market development some app developers should encourage as fulfilling the needs through open source development is their business.

And there are lots of apps to consider.

My contribution noted on the old board is for a “Parade” app that would set a button for an automatic stand-in-place 360 turn. I envisioned using a furniture dolly to give the rear wheel the opportunity to move through the 360 easily. As you progressed at low speed along the parade route, you’d have signage across the top attached to the open doors and every so often, like the folks on horses, you’d do a little turn-around. The app would limit speed overall to something like 15mph and would disable/lock the rear wheel with a specific protocol for the tank-turn.

With the rear-hatch removed and a podium added, you’ve got a mobile lectern in what I consider the most engaging parade vehicle available.

• Daniel Crotty

April 21, 2022 at 5:33 pm

OK! If you have any doubts about the need for Cameras

Confronting Neighbor Who Keyed My Tesla! Cops Called!! – YouTube

Do you think our Aptera will be less likely to get Keyed because it costs less!

ADD the cameras! At least have an option.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 21, 2022 at 5:55 pm

Even if Aptera is released without a camera security system, they are easy to install and a complete system with memory or cloud system costs as little as $250.00 (I just put one on my own vehicle with impact and motion detection front, rear and sides) for a 3 camera system. To do the same with the systems on the Aptera Roadster, it may interfere with present hardware and software. A self contained option is the quickest and least intrusive.

Note: typical installs take 30-60 minutes.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 7:19 am

How did you get sides? I have a 2-channel (front/rear) but it would be sweet to have 4-channel (front/rear/left/right).

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 22, 2022 at 11:26 am

Peter, I used a Vantrue 3 channel system. 4 channel systems jump in price quite a bit.

I hardwired mine so I could use it while parked. Mine came with a parking mode system for motion and impact sensors.

• Daniel Crotty

April 22, 2022 at 10:18 am

I just googled this. I had seen the number before, so I’m assuming it is correct.

Tesla cars have<strong style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”> eight cameras around the vehicle.

I do not know what the cost would be to install this on Aptera. Let’s say, buying bulk, they can be purchased $25, and probably a bunch less.

Sign me up to get it factory installed. Yeah, I know more storage, blah, blah, blah. It is worth it if it catches the guy who just smashed your windows or keyed your car, or whatever. Maybe an encounter with the police!

I want it on video.

If I have to wait another month to get it. No problem!

Installing a 2nd party system, myself! I don’t think you want me doing that to your car.

• John Malcom

April 22, 2022 at 11:39 am

I think not in the cards from the “Factory” for the first iteration of the Aptera. Sounds like some on the forum have a DYI solution. That is inline with right to repair😁

I have sentry mode on my Model 3 and rarely use it. City and neighborhood does not require something like a sentry mode.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 11:48 am

I live in Utah… I will need a sentry mode. Lots of vehicle damage, police encounters, charging station encounters, etc. Aftermarket is fine if they don’t have it built in by the time I get mine.

• Daniel Crotty

April 23, 2022 at 12:44 pm

Don’t know about you, but the aftermarket items I have seen look and perform exactly as what they are, something a DIY guy did in his garage. Does Red Green (tv show) come to mind? Break out the Duct Tape!

But! If it is as easy to do as you say, then surely it is an easy thing to do NOW! Strap that baby on and charge $500.

Alternative! Put some thought into it. Aptera is still in Design phase.

Don’t be the little engine that couldn’t be bothered to go up the hill!

Else we may end up with a something like the Honda CR-Z. “Honda only sold two new CR-Zs in 2019, down from the 28 they sold in 2018.”

Maybe this would be a good question to ask the 16K that signed up. You want it or not.

• Thomas Benel

April 24, 2022 at 4:34 am

Sentry Mode – similar to what Tesla has. Don’t know what that is – search it out in YouTube. Plenty if videos. There was a use case where a guys “neighbor” keyed his car badly, police we involved and were able to give a citation with the option to have the owner go to court – or the neighbor could settle out of court.

Battling vandalism is huge, deterrence for theft. Factory installed and supported a HUGE plus!

• Daniel Crotty

April 26, 2022 at 4:20 pm
  • Rashid Clark

April 29, 2022 at 12:34 pm

I remember seeing an interview with Chris where he stated that he likes Tesla’s sentry-mode and wants to put in Aptera. Unfortunately I didn’t save a citation link, but here’s what I wrote in my notes:
    “They are planning on having something like Tesla’s “sentry” mode (retaining camera footage useful for accidents). HOWEVER, it will not be released with it. If it happens, it will be a software update.”

• Dustin DelRosso

July 9, 2022 at 7:29 pm

please have a dash cam. its a basic feature.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Gabriel Kemeny. Reason: Fix title
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • kerbe2705

July 9, 2022 at 7:47 pm

@Dustin DelRosso It may be a basic feature to you but, at present, there are fewer than a dozen vehicle models sold in the US that come with a factory dashcam system – but there are DOZENS of companies selling aftermarket systems.

IMHO I think it would be a terrific optional accessory for Aptera to offer.

• Dan Kerpe

July 10, 2022 at 10:26 am

I put dash cams in all my vehicles. They’re worth their weight in gold. However, I wouldn’t expect Aptera to offer them. The laws regarding them vary state by state and it probably isn’t worth the headache.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

July 10, 2022 at 11:07 am

Dash cams are catching on. Dash cams are optional equipment on many of the new cars I have been looking at. Dash cams are not only great for truth in road incidents, but for security while parked. I have a dash cam in every car. Most dash cams are easy to move from one vehicle to another.

• James Gatan

July 10, 2022 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been using dash cams on all my cars for many years. My current ICE even has a rear facing one, independently connected from the recording fronts, via a 12v splitter connector sockets (wires neatly tucked underneath interior). Easily swappable (vs hard wiring) to other vehicles. I even bring it and use it on rentals on my yearly travels visiting family, flying in to MI. It has saved my neck countless of times in the past (accident witness for insurance purposes, theft deterrent, road rage driver deterrent). Quite indispensable to my daily driving. I always feel safer/have peace of mind while driving..knowing that you always have a “witness” with you, while driving.

I plan to install front ones on my Aptera (no rears, due to Full Solar). Crossing fingers, that a basic 12v socket connection would be available on the production units.

• Y Z

July 11, 2022 at 3:58 pm

I would hope to have them as well. With the amount of cameras already planned for the car, the backup cameras, side, and rear cameras, it seems like a good candidate to use those to record them while driving or to have motion activated recording while parked.

• Fanfare 100

July 12, 2022 at 10:26 pm

As Aptera comes to fruition, I also see the development of an ApteraQ-like group of haters. I believe that Sentry mode may at least catch evil-doing keyers and scratchers as this speciffic design will attract unexpected attention from both the good, as well as the folks who hate things that are green and efficient.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Fanfare 100.
Viewing 1 - 25 of 28 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now