Tech similar to Tesla

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tech similar to Tesla

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tech similar to Tesla

• Tech similar to Tesla

• Francisco Ambrocio

August 11, 2021 at 6:26 am

Seeing that autopilot level 2 autonomy will be available for a premium..will there also be a feature similar to sentry mode available? This sev will no doubt attract attention good and bad. I was thinking it will be a good idea to include this feature to all apteras.

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 7:06 am

Features like that (along with dog mode, etc) may not be available at launch but will likely come later as the firmware for the vehicle matures.

• Dan Roberts

August 11, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Gabe no offense is intended but how do you know what the initial software will include. Are surmising or do you have some communication from the company that you are passing on? Thank you in advance for the clarification.

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I am going by trends in past vehicle launches and pressure to get the vehicle to customers. Features like that which can likely be accomplished with a future firmware update, can be left for later. Basic playback of one or more cameras is likely to be included, but full Sentry mode like functionality will likely take some development.

• Dan Roberts

August 11, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Gabe. Sometimes it is confusing because I don’t think we get much technical information from the company except for the webinars which we haven’t had in a while. We are all desperate for information from the company so its nice when we know the source of information. Thank you for the clarification.

• Curtis Cibinel

January 3, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Tesla has year of software refinement adding features based on user needs. Aptera and others are playing catchup but as long as the hardware is in place the point that features will be added over time is inevitable. The company isn’t going to go out of its way to list every tesla feature it doesn’t have. Sentry mode is a critical one that hopefully can be addressed early since this vehicle will attract attention.

• Daniel Gray

January 3, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Have you guys considered OpenPilot or integrating something like a Comma3?

ref: https://comma.ai/
    I’ve got an order in, including the autopilot, but thinking that adding a couple extra cameras and hooking into the CAN Bus with either the comma3 or something equivalent might be a good thing.

Are the Aptera cameras going to be RCCB for less IR filtering / higher IR passthrough, or something else?

• John Malcom

January 3, 2022 at 4:58 pm

The comma.AI issue comes up periodically in this and the previous forum. Aptera has not provided any information on the application that will be used for SafetyPilot. They have indicated that they were talking to a number of vendors for this functionality. I would not expect an answer to either of your questions until beta testing is complete and there is a finalized configuration for the production vehicle.

Aptera Engineering is very good at rigorously examining a plethora of alternatives for all of the functionality of the vehicle which would include SafetyPilot (Their matra, Most efficient”) I have confidence they will implement a solution that will have the most functionality, lowest cost, with high reliability optimizing the software/hardware for Level II autonomy. We will just have to be patient until they are ready to release this information for production vehicles.

As Curtis points out, as long as hardware is present, functionality can be added as over the air updates. That is the way Tesla does it. Also as Curtis points out, Tesla has been working on this software for years. They are still having considerable issues with it at this point and are currently under investigation about the safety of their self driving system

• George Hughes

January 3, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I agree with Curt and Dan that we expect that Apera will have a relatively stark set of main functions on launch but will be missing some of the so-called special apps that may have proven popular on Tesla, which is leading in this area.

I would think one approach these folks – who are BTW from SCal and have been deeply associated with the tech industry – are aware of is how folks like Apple and Google have filled the app-gap by creating software development kits and offering it to a world-wide, independent app-building universe who create apps, submit them for review and security and then, with those vetted apps are offered in an online store. It is not at all unusual for app developers to be brought in with attractive terms for a new product launch. The right-to-repair credo of Aptera ought to be a market development some app developers should encourage as fulfilling the needs through open source development is their business.

And there are lots of apps to consider.

My contribution noted on the old board is for a “Parade” app that would set a button for an automatic stand-in-place 360 turn. I envisioned using a furniture dolly to give the rear wheel the opportunity to move through the 360 easily. As you progressed at low speed along the parade route, you’d have signage across the top attached to the open doors and every so often, like the folks on horses, you’d do a little turn-around. The app would limit speed overall to something like 15mph and would disable/lock the rear wheel with a specific protocol for the tank-turn.

With the rear-hatch removed and a podium added, you’ve got a mobile lectern in what I consider the most engaging parade vehicle available.

• Joshua Rosen

January 3, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I have Tesla’s FSD Beta, it’s reinforced my opinion that true FSD is many years away. I can’t use it for more than a couple of minutes before it terrifies me and I grab control back. What I want from Safety Pilot is just good collision avoidance, i.e. blind spot monitoring and rear end collision detection or prevention either by a warning or automatic braking. Autosteer is unnecessary but lane departure warnings are useful. I’d also like to be able to summon the car out of a parking spot in case someone blocks me in, that’s the one feature of Tesla’s Autopilot that I’ve used. All the car has to do is back straight out under control of the app, it doesn’t need to be smart to do this because a human is directing it.

I’d suggest that they get the tech from MobileEye or someone like that. I wouldn’t fool around with any sort of open source stuff, you want something from a big company that has the resources to develop it and will be around to support it.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now