Tesla charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla charging

• Tesla charging

John Trotter updated 1 week, 1 day ago 10 Members · 14 Posts
  • Rolf Brakvatne

June 15, 2022 at 9:07 pm

In yesterday’s webinar Chris Anthony praised the Tesla charging plug standard while never mentioning what plug will be on the Aptera. Will the production Aptera have a Tesla plug and therefore charge at Tesla Superchargers? Musk said he is open to have others use the Supercharger network.

• kerbe2705

June 15, 2022 at 9:25 pm

@Rolf Brakvatne Having a Tesla port does NOT guarantee access to the Supercharger network which – at present in the US – connects only to Tesla vehicles. In the EU and UK Tesla adding CCS2 connectors to its Superchargers but the connection to the vehicle is not automatic: Non-Tesla vehicles must access the system and pay through a phone app.

If Tesla adds CCS1 connectors to its Superchargers in the US and Canada for the use of non-Tesla vehicles, they will be set up the same way. If an Aptera with a Tesla port were to use a Tesla Supercharger it might very well need to use a CCS-to-Tesla adaptor and connect via the CCS1 connector.

An Aptera with a Tesla port, though, could use Tesla destination connectors, Tesla wall connectors and Tesla mobile connectors directly.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 15, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Why would you ever put a tesla plug on a vehicle without access to the supercharger network? It seems silly to convert constantly for no reason.

The j1772 is similar to the tesla plug for level 2 and roughly as common. Using an adapter for 100% for DCFC would highlight major design flaw.Using an adapter for 100% for DCFC would highlight major design flaw. The push for the federal government to pay to install faster chargers will likely be 100% CCS (making total numbers in a few years favorable for CCS); at this point many owners of EVs with Tesla plugs may want adapters but why force Aptera owners to use them day 1 and have no native charging network at all.

• kerbe2705

June 15, 2022 at 11:38 pm

@Curtis Cibinel At present, in the EU and UK, people have tried to use Tesla-to-CCS adaptors and they haven’t worked on Superchargers that have CCS cables. So there’s something about the handshake through the Tesla connector that will interact only with Teslas – while the CCS cables charge only via an app.

So, even though Aptera may have a Tesla port, it might very well NOT talk to Tesla Superchargers unless some sort of deal can be hammered-out. Also the Tesla port will need to be licensed from Tesla as it’s a proprietary design, used only in the Americas and Japan.

Betamax was WAY better than VHS – I think we’re looking at the same losing battle with the Tesla connector. Just imagine how many people will charge and drive off, forgetting their adaptors…

• Curtis Cibinel

June 15, 2022 at 11:50 pm

My thoughts exactly… To reiterate why include a Tesla plug if you don’t have a supercharger deal… Ccs isn’t ideal but is the defacto standard. Tesla to ccs adapters already exist and will become common as this standard expands with govt dollars injected.

• Joshua Rosen

June 16, 2022 at 6:56 am

If they license the Tesla connector then Aptera’s will have access to the Supercharger network, that would be part of the license agreement. Obviously they won’t use a Tesla connector without Supercharger access, they aren’t idiots. We don’t know what’s going on with their negotiations, if they can’t get an agreement with Tesla then they will use CCS1.

• Dean McManis

June 29, 2022 at 1:34 am

I agree that this is the plan. The Aptera might be the first non-Tesla EV to be able to natively Supercharge, which would likely get Aptera a lot of attention. It really is a good candidate for being first because the Aptera is super efficient, and with solar power assist many owners may only use ANY public charger once or twice a year for long trips. Ideally, I would like to see multiple plugs including the Tesla plug and CCS1/J1772, with an adapter for 110V charging. Next to that, I would be fine with the Tesla plug, and an adapter plug for all other formats, and I be equally fine with a CCS/J1772 plug, and a Tesla adapter. As long as all major plug types can connect and charge I will be happy. Aptera doesn’t have to take it upon themselves to force the plug incompatibility issue by using the Tesla plug or nothing. Broader connectivity is the key to success, and being able to access both growing charge networks (and charge at home) is a win-win choice.

• BigSky Country

June 16, 2022 at 5:24 am

While Chris’ point on the sleek design of the Tesla plug is clear, the plug design is not a high priority when it comes to charging. I have no concerns about getting access to Tesla’s supercharger network. I have major concerns having a closed network as the primary charging design. CCS is winning, so the car should be designed with the ugly CCS plug and I’m happy to have a Tesla adapter (But not the other way around).

• David Wells

June 28, 2022 at 3:34 pm

I think it would have been an easy choice to use Tesla’s connector for their DCFC during development, though I’d be very surprised if it survived to production.

1. Tesla’s connectors are small and lightweight.

2. Tesla mobile and destination chargers are everywhere.

3. Telsa parts are readily available (until recently)

When Aptera started building prototypes, those 3 advantages were exclusively tilted toward Tesla.

We assume Tesla’s plug dominance will end not too far in the future as their market share inevitably shrinks. I’d prefer the tesla connector for myself – I have Tesla chargers and I kind of loathe the CCS experience – but for Aptera, releasing product in a year with a Tesla DCFC port seems like the wrong choice.

• Paul Carlucci

June 28, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Any deal for access to the Supercharger network would have to be irrevocable and at price parity. Imagine it being temporary only for there to be some spat a few years down the road because Musk is having a bad day. I don’t need that kind of uncertainty, and neither does Aptera the company.

• kerbe2705

June 28, 2022 at 9:29 pm

One more random thought… It was mentioned, when the Yazaki partnership was introduced, that Yazaki makes charge ports and connectors but a visit to their site reveals that they make only two: J1772 and ChaDeMo.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 29, 2022 at 12:32 am

Wow really hope we dont get Chademo. They are rare and being phased out. This would be a real issue for long term usability for road trips.

• Riley ________________________________

June 29, 2022 at 12:35 am

Can’t remember where or even if it’s true but I heard that Yazaki also make the Tesla port.

• John Trotter

June 29, 2022 at 6:39 am

I am still voting for the Tesla plug AND access to the Supercharger network. Better engineering. More reliable. The stories of unreliable charging networks are everywhere, whereas Tesla’s stations hardly ever have station-wide outages. The other networks are a dog’s lunch.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now