Tesla Preparing to Open Superchargers to Non-Tesla EVs in US Late 2022

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla Preparing to Open Superchargers to Non-Tesla EVs in US Late 2022

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla Preparing to Open Superchargers to Non-Tesla EVs in US Late 2022

• Tesla Preparing to Open Superchargers to Non-Tesla EVs in US Late 2022

Russell Fauver updated 1 month ago 9 Members · 11 Posts
  • James Gatan

July 7, 2022 at 3:20 pm

https://electrek.co/2022/07/07/tesla-preparing-open-superchargers-non-tesla-evs-us-year/https://electrek.co/2022/07/07/tesla-preparing-open-superchargers-non-tesla-evs-us-year/

It should be a done deal, for the Tesla connectors then. 👌

• Dennis Swaney

July 7, 2022 at 3:53 pm

However, be prepared to pay a premium much higher than Tesla owners. I was reading the comments to that article and one commenter said he had to pay 46¢/kWh in Watertown, NY a few weeks back. I’m guessing he was at a Supercharger and must have been in a Tesla, so imagine what a non-Tesla owner would be charged.

• David Marlow

July 7, 2022 at 10:31 pm

While that is a relativity high price for charging.

(Some charging stations where the fee is applied by time, my Volt, that charges slowly, I would have had to pay two or three time the cost of gas per mile. But at least I had the option of using gas instead. )

In most EV’s today it is still less per mile, than gas in most ICE vehicles today.

In an Aptera a lot less.

• Riley ________________________________

July 8, 2022 at 5:24 am

My nearest supercharger costs 58¢/kWh, I hope Tesla lowers the cost for Tesla owners if they do charge more for other brands. I heard mention of Tesla potentially adjusting price based on time it takes to charge.

• John Voules

July 7, 2022 at 5:05 pm

I am neutral on this subject…but I do know that there are many Tesla owners in line to purchase an APTERA, now I believe this will add more Tesla owners to the list.

I am willing to buy an adapter for my home charging. Overall it’s great news to have Tesla charging network at disposal. Even if it may be more costly, sometimes it may speed up your rout time.

• James Gatan

July 7, 2022 at 6:17 pm

Exactly. I am after choice. At least you know our Apteras can avail of the Tesla charging network. Where I live, there are around (20) Superchargers < 1mi from home. Now, would I go and queue in along with Teslas, on this very busy Supercharger site? Off peak with no queue ($0.29/kWh) as last resort and needed some convenience near home, yes. Higher cost of course for us Apterae/non-Teslas.

But then where I work (Los Angeles County), the 6 level parking structure has (70) J1772 stations, that are free. Majority of the stations are even unused and literally gathering dust. So I have no issues charging my Aptera. I’d likely just park at the top most level to solar charge..on free uncovered parking spaces, charging along next with the vast solar roof arrays installed.

• Gordon Niessen

July 7, 2022 at 7:52 pm

We already have the issue that many new fast chargers are CCS, while we have a Leaf with CHAdeMO. Tesla is adding CCS connectors for limited public use. That doesn’t mean that we can use the Tesla connector. But it does make it more likely.

• John Voules

July 7, 2022 at 8:08 pm

I’m Actually hoping they will introduce as a 2024 since production won’t truly start 2023.

Many manufacturers take advantage of federal laws that allow you to offer the following years model starting January 1. Since 1st models will be hand built, maybe introduce them as 2023.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 8, 2022 at 5:07 am

Part of Aptera’s mission/ethos is that they are all pretty much hand built, Artisan is the term they have used. About the only automation in the assembly plants is supposed to be the robot dollies to move the vehicles.

• Ray Holan

July 8, 2022 at 6:33 am

“Artisan built” sounds like the ubiquitous “hand crafted” I see on local restaurant menus. In the case of both terms, I assume the intent is to make the product sound more exclusive and attractive.

• Russell Fauver

July 8, 2022 at 11:30 am

The tesla charging plug is pretty. Prettier than the CCS plug. But, the goal is to get electrons into the battery. Plug style tyle doesn’t really make much difference to me. Reliability does. Tesla’s supercharger is reliable so having access would be nice, even if I need an adapter.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now