The interior is as ugly and impractical as the outside is beautiful and function

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The interior is as ugly and impractical as the outside is beautiful and function

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The interior is as ugly and impractical as the outside is beautiful and function

• The interior is as ugly and impractical as the outside is beautiful and function

• Pistonboy Delux

June 16, 2022 at 10:16 pm

At time 37:30 in the Webinar, they have a front view showing the lights on the front wheel shrouds are twisted. This looks ugly! I wish they would sacrifice a little efficiency and make them straight like they were before.

I also dislike the cloth and stark white color on the steering wheel as I am sure many other people do. The white headrests will be a problem too.

The stark white color of the interior is a poor choice. If they have to have white, make it an off white like the center console. There are currently are two very different shades of white.

The interior is as ugly and impractical as the outside is beautiful and function.

https://youtu.be/TFl3GbJWPf0?t=2259https://youtu.be/TFl3GbJWPf0?t=2259

• Llewellyn Evans Evans

June 16, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Hey, don’t hold back.🙂

• Steven G. Bueche

June 25, 2022 at 7:00 am

Drinking game: Take a drink every time Chris says “Amazing” lol

;

• Curtis Cibinel

June 16, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Remember they have 3 colour schemes for interiors. Coast and vida will likely be different worth more blacks. Not sure if the cork in the center console will be coloured or a different material to avoid an odd brown that would not match.

I doubt they will make multiple yokes and hope they just make it black.

The “cloth” is more likely fake texture not actual cloth on the panels. Easily removed center consoles would be handy to clean.

• kerbe2705

June 16, 2022 at 10:46 pm

@Pistonboy Delux Remember, please, that you’re looking at digital renderings and that EVERY render we’ve seen of the interior has had wonky color schemes that don’t match the descriptions in the configurator. A lot of people pay a premium these days for white interiors. Just sayin’… There are three color schemes promised and this render resembles none of them, so let’s wait and see.

If you check out the NEW fly-through of the interior you’ll see that it no longer shows the cloth texture on the yoke or the dashboard. We don’t know what the final design will be and won’t know for a month then they show us what they’ve built.

As to the front wheel pants, you’re welcome to your opinion but I rather like the new, more “organic” shape: It makes them look less like Wiley Post’s 1930 racing plane landing gear…

• Ray Holan

June 17, 2022 at 5:36 am

Enjoyed the historical reference, Kerbe. Thanks. Now if we could just graft a big honking radial engine and prop on the front of the Aptera, we’d have the infamous flying car everyone’s been waiting for;) JK

• Juan Castro

June 16, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Aptera your doing a Great job despite of what some spoiled people think. Practical and efficient is what I’m wanting to buy and use. They are really thinking outside of the box and have done an excellent job. Your next complaint well be that it’s too quiet, that it doesn’t sound like a real car.

Love the job you guy are doing hope to come by carload in a few months.

• Juan Castro

June 17, 2022 at 5:57 am

Auto correct that was suppose to be Carlsbad.

• kerbe2705

June 17, 2022 at 1:59 pm

@Juan Castro FYI – you can edit your original post so no need to post a correction!

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 17, 2022 at 2:21 pm

The forum has a fairly short window for corrections, than you’re locked out.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

June 16, 2022 at 11:23 pm

i cant find my own posts in here, where i exlplained things better. something happned to the apter owners club discord, so i cant explain it there either

• Bart Cunningham

June 17, 2022 at 2:44 am

I think the basic interior design goes well with the rest of the design. I do agree that the yoke is kind of ugly with the black/white design but I don’t think that look will make it into production. I hope not at least!

• James Gatan

June 17, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Same here. My main gripe is the awful looking dual tone yoke, with black top on white lower steering rim (why). Dirt will be so obvious on the white steering rim (even on any light color). Just keep it all in black (for practical reasons and aesthetics).

Another gripe of mine is the bungee cup holders. In due time, the elastic core of the bungee cords will loosen (from use, age, and weather elements). It will sag and look awful. As others had mentioned in Reddit, it looks like a DIY after thought. Not a bright idea at all, tbh.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  James Gatan.
    • V Pilot

June 18, 2022 at 6:22 am

The steering yoke in Instagram post of the interior looks like a smiley face staring back at me with two beady eyes…can’t unsee that

• Steven G. Bueche

June 17, 2022 at 4:01 am

@37:30 it appears the doors have a new design that eliminates the center bar many folks had concern over. Is this correct or a render oversite?

The twisted wheel pant lights make sense from not only an aerodynamic point based on the air flow around the pant but also a production stand point. If you picture how the pant comes together you’ll understand my statement.

Any point that gets the vast majority of hand contact should not be white cloth as it would be accumulate dirt and oils the fastest and be a problem to keep clean. In the M3 those surfaces are made of a synthetic leather and are easy to maintain. Again, I see the bungie cord cup holder becoming a wet noodle mess in a short period of time once hit by the UV rays. (remember those old side door cargo nets?)

• Paul Schultz

June 17, 2022 at 4:11 am

I agree about the cupholder concept. It is a situation of making something different with no real advantage. Sometimes this is a trait of a designer…. they don’t know when to stop being unique. Standard cup holder design please!

• Steven G. Bueche

June 17, 2022 at 4:53 am

👍

• John Voules

June 17, 2022 at 6:22 am

I guess I will add my 2 cents in this fine sewing circle. Most of what I have read here is just based on pictures and limited information from management. Aptera has gone further than any other company that I have experienced in disseminating information of every aspect of their progress. We have not truly seen anything finalized that you can physically touch. Yoke haters have not driven this specific vehicle and the interior critiques of functionality of cup storage (may also not have the foresight as of yet) by having bungee storage bin.

I am pretty sure that when I finally sit in my Aptera that my grin will be bigger than the yoke is displaying.

• Richard Mitchell

June 20, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Yes, please – standard molded cup holders please!

• Bryan Hendricks

June 23, 2022 at 9:35 am

Perhaps we shouldn’t take the name “cupholder” too literally. The cupholders in my current car often hold a lot of things other than cups – a cell phone, a breakfast burrito, a pen, stuff that is often shaped differently than a cup. I wouldn’t halt my purchase of the Aptera over the cupholder design, but the string grid is not compatible with the way I use a cupholder. I imagine having to cram my hand through the grid to try and pull something like a pen back out of the grid that is wider than my hand – and it would get caught up in the strings of the grid and so on……

• Scott Price

June 17, 2022 at 10:23 am

Steven, the view blocking mid-window frame is actually still there at 37:30 in the video. It is just not clear since the upper fixed window part appears very dark and makes it appear to be the opaque roof (just like the lower slot window appears very dark). The render essentially still shows the slot window as the slightly recessed section of the door and then the mid-frame/upper fixed window/roof blend together in the render above the slot window. They are all essentially still there in the same relative configuration as before, just without much detail.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 9:27 am

I see and understand what you’re saying. Maybe a bit more clarity in the render next time? After all, this is what potential buyers are looking at in order to make their decision? I look forward to the time when all the current visuals are replaced with the product intent vehicle.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 17, 2022 at 7:02 am

Not thrilled about the interior design, but can accept it if it ends up the in production vehicle. Down in the nits for me compared to the engineering features, the reason I am buying the vehicle. I don’t have beverages in the car with me when I drive so cupholder design is not relevant. I could do without them all together. But understand those that really want them and think they should be in the vehicle. Indifferent to the yoke a well. I can drive it with what ever ends up being the steering device. I would prefer no cloth, but again I can adapt and will find some way to keep it clean if it ends up being white.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: corrected spelling
    • Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 17, 2022 at 7:42 am

What I got out of JH in the webinar, was that several things in the interior would be modular, with different options available, so hopefully, some nice storage or something, with less obtrusive cupholders (Or none) as a choice.

• Russell Fauver

June 17, 2022 at 11:27 am

I kinda like the interior of the original 2e, it had a smaller center console between the seats making it look more roomy

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 9:32 am

This interior was another thing that drew me to the car. It just works. The current console has a high part just before the dash that has you reaching over it in order to get to a lower store area. This is not ergonomic design.

• Nkemjika Alimole

June 17, 2022 at 1:28 pm

I love everything about the redesigned interior.

• Paul Kirchner

June 18, 2022 at 9:52 am

I’m with you on this.

• Bojan Majdandzic

June 17, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Well, I really do like the interior and exterior as it is developing. I don’t know how long a white yoke will stay white, but still I have full confidence in a beautiful, ergonomic and practical design.

• larry kaiser

June 17, 2022 at 2:37 pm

If I could get Terry (my Aptera) this afternoon I would be thrilled even if it had an all white cloth interior, was finished half in a wrap and half painted, had a steering “wheel” that was an equilateral triangle and only had cup holders in the cargo compartment. If the price increased by 5K and the wheelbase by a foot I might frown for a moment but the frown would disappear as soon as I started to drive. If I could only drive it with my ex-wife as a passenger then we would have a deal breaker!

• Qiang Fu

June 17, 2022 at 2:42 pm

In terms of practicality – I don’t know the width of Aptera at its seating position, but if it’s as “wide” as Honda Fit (67″) or Minicooper countryman (72″), I would really rather it has a 3-person bench seat similar to the backseats of Honda or Minicooper. Cupholders can be easily moved to the dash or the side of the door, I think…

• Bob Kirchner

June 20, 2022 at 6:26 am

Door mounted cup holders won’t work because of the way the doors open. That’s why the subject draws such outsized interest for such a mundane detail. The same for map pockets and so forth.

• M T

June 17, 2022 at 2:59 pm

White on a steering wheel? Please no. The whole yoke looks very toy like, I would ditch the two tone. Or make the 2 tones black polyurethane… Hopefully the VIDA interior remains devoid of light coloured surfaces…

I agree the bungie cup holders are a bad idea with a short projected lifespan. Hopefully they will give us notches in the console so we can rip that crap out, 3d print our own cup holders and just clip them in. Even Ford has figured this out (see Ford Maverick), should not be too hard…

• Dean McManis

June 18, 2022 at 10:16 am

I am fine with the yoke, mildly changed wheel pants, and the interior design overall. It looks really fresh and modern. I would just really prefer the option of black on all of the touch surfaces. Please do an alternate interior render in something like caramel and black, with an all black yoke. I think that Aptera would get a positive response from the many people like me who simply don’t like white interiors. I am OK with it looking a bit more conventional.

• Richard Mitchell

June 20, 2022 at 9:42 pm

A white interior is kind of a no-go for anyone with pets (dogs!) and anyone who engages in outdoor activities. A black or dark gray steering wheel is appropriate for hiding the dirt that will inevitably be transferred to the steering wheel from the drivers hands over time. Same issue for pure white seats. A bad choice for anyone wanting the interior to at least appear clean.

• Gary Greenway

June 22, 2022 at 7:48 pm

I love that color scheme on the left and the one on the right is still better than the white interior.

• John Trotter

June 18, 2022 at 4:32 pm

I’ll take whatever they make. That said, I am reminded of the Tesla-vs-the-world interior design discussion. Tesla is dead stark and getting starker. Not for everyone. Personally, I love the simple elegance and when sitting in “regular” cockpits I laugh at the ancient, cluttered, approach. I also love my white interior. Again, not for everyone, but two years in and I have no complaints.

• James Gatan

June 18, 2022 at 6:13 pm

The Yoke is just fine. An uncommon/unconventional steering wheel, for an unconventional “car”. Just make it in (practical) Black on my Vida/Noir. Ditch the “DIY/after thought” low quality looking bungee cord cup holders. It will not last, will loosen and sag in due time from use and age. It is ugly and cheapens the interior.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

June 18, 2022 at 6:49 pm

my email is Gadflygtr@yahoo (dot) com, send me the invite link to the apteras owners club discord server

• Howard Sharp Sharp

June 19, 2022 at 11:10 am

I for one do hope that the current design for the yoke is not the final one. I found the snaggle-toothed variation disturbingly reminiscent of Mad Magazine’s Alfred E. Neumann. The present toothless version has a cutesy, trying-to-please anthropomorphic quality. Please don’t inflict this on an otherwise great design.

Form is function.

Oh, and don’t get me started on white in a vehicle which is going to be used every day, by a coffee-spilling, crumb-dropping driver wearing less than spotless clothes, in a dusty, muddy, wet environment, and no chauffeur in sight to do the cleaning. Be kind to us.

• Dennis Swaney

June 19, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Neoprene seat covers are your friend. 😉

• Bob Kirchner

June 20, 2022 at 6:29 am

Not if a vehicle has seat mounted side airbags. Which Aptera might not, but still.

• john Bussjaeger

June 19, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Honestly, as long as they make it all removable, I’ll aftermarket or 3D print what I want.

INNOVATIVE would be to offer “nothing” options to save the environment by letting buyers add their replacements and not throw out things they do not want!

I can print my own cup holder (again.) I often buy seat covers regardless. With the patterns, I might even make my own seat covers!

The Yolk is silly but still round; at least it is not stupid like Tesla.

Another Innovation would be adding the option of an additional 3-wire microcontroller connection for later use so aftermarket people (or Aptera) could easily ADD to the system. My 1st move would be to build some real buttons to control things so I don’t have to play with the virtual buttons on the touch screen. This would crowdsource innovative ideas that could end up integrated.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 19, 2022 at 2:19 pm

A modification I would love to look at would be a solenoid system to raise or lower the wheel covers. This would be great so I could go into offroad mode as I drive off the main road. This would also allow making the vehicle far more visible in parking lots. Having the ability to actually integrate this tightly with the infotainment would be awesome but I suspect it wont be that open on the software side.

Aptera has already shown more openness than essentially any other auto maker and currently the obvious priority is to get units shipping now. I expect the community around customization and right to repair will form nicely

• Howard Sharp Sharp

June 19, 2022 at 5:06 pm

And don’t forget muddy paw prints.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 19, 2022 at 6:55 pm

I see the point of the front view. The yellow strips look oddly misshapen and bent , people will ask why are they bent

• GLENN ZAJIC

June 20, 2022 at 10:34 am

I believe the marker lights were moved to conform to the new shape of the wheel pants. They are located on the top, highest point of the ridges. I believe they determined that a slight reshaping of the wheel pant would cause more air to get kicked outside rather than pinched between the wheel pants and body. I also think that little bend on the back of the wheel pants lowered the air pressure squeeze by causing a little vacuum at that point. These minor changes are all in attempt to keep or reduce the CD as much as possible. I bet they were all suggested by computer.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 20, 2022 at 11:13 am

I understand the why…. But I also understand the original posters point. See screen shot. Those yellow marker strips look bent out of shape

• John Voules

June 20, 2022 at 11:36 am

To me…not at all. Only if 1 was straight and the other was not. It definitely looks purposeful and done to incorporate its design.

• Dennis Swaney

June 20, 2022 at 2:40 pm

They’re obviously on the joint of the inner & outer parts of the shrouds.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 21, 2022 at 4:20 am

I agree. Anyone who looks or asks about it should be able to understand it’s about air flow and manufacturing. There aren’t many straight lines on here so why start now. I like this improvement.

• M T

June 21, 2022 at 7:58 am

Agreed. Aerodynamics driven swooping lines yes, cat face nintendo wii white steering yoke no. Bungie cord cupholders no. So many ways to integrate modular cupholders (slotted console so you can make/print your own and just clip it in place), there is no need for this bungie nonsense. At the very least provide the clip in slots and make the bungie easily removable.

You don’t have to be different, lets focus on “good” and “usable” and “long lasting”.

• Patrick Liebknecht

June 21, 2022 at 6:10 pm

I saw an article with a car with all its panel gaps taped over so they could get 3 more mpg. Anyone looking at that would think the tape was holding the car together not that it’s purposeful, in this case okay. But they still look silly. I’m glad the computer model didn’t have better airflow with one side of the car lower than the other …. lmao.

Viewing 1 - 25 of 31 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now