Third seat options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Third seat options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Third seat options

• Third seat options

Posted by konijntje on September 11, 2022 at 1:27 pm

Had an interesting discussion on the aptera third seat today.

Aptera announced there will be a third seat option and i wonder if thats for adults or for childs-only.

I also wonder if aptera will make changes to the bottom structure for this option. For example, the difference between 25kwh and 100kwh will be significant in terms of space usage. The smallest option could leave for mors bottom space for a third chair.

Thoughts?

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    jeff-anderson replied 1 month, 1 week ago 21 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Third seat options

jeff-anderson updated 1 month, 1 week ago 21 Members · 27 Replies
  • NorthernSouler

September 11, 2022 at 1:34 pm

I got the impression that was a “somewhere, sometime down the road” thing. I wouldn’t expect it in the near term.

• Greek

September 11, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Third seat is the smartest thing they can do. Changes your target drastically. It would be nice though for it to still folds for a flat floor for camping.

• len

September 11, 2022 at 6:02 pm

My understanding

Possible for future iteration…

• david-marlow

September 12, 2022 at 3:29 am

CA mentioned that the third seat would be an option on the base (250 mile version with the smaller battery) vehicle. So sense that model will not be available with in a year they will have time to work on making the third seat.

• Fran

September 28, 2022 at 8:13 am

Some adults are rather small. But certainly a child after the age of mandatory car-seats, and up to 100 pounds can fit on a redesigned front seat(s). I had a ford ranger that had “bucket seats” that included a fold up arm rest in the middle and sitting area with seat belt in the middle. Total width fits in the Aptera.

• carl-ng

October 6, 2022 at 10:36 am

Can the 3rd seat simply be in the form of a bridge between the 2 front seats?

Maybe a bit indented to the back if needed?

• Fran

October 6, 2022 at 6:37 pm

The armrest in the Aptera is removable. Take it out and put a cushion down on top of the tunnel. There is your third seat. Install a seat belt and you can even be legal. If you want to get fancy, design and build, or find an aftermarket seat that incorporates a fold down arm rest like in the picture above. I have seen some on the internet. You don’t have to wait for Aptera to build a custom front seat arrangement. Also CA’s “basic model” he mentioned when asked about a third seat, is the Aptera. Other models he talked about are future models with four wheels, van, suv, etc. The third seat option will fit in all mileage ranges.

• SteveW

October 13, 2022 at 5:19 pm

The height in gamma above the deck behind the seats as measured by me at Fully Charged is 21.5 inches. That doesn’t leave enough space for a standard infant car seat which is commonly 26 inches inside height. They will have to carve out some of that back deck to make room for a seat. There was a large bump hidden under the center back in the beta where the back wheel suspension was. That will make it very hard to add a seat if it is still there. TLDR; THERE IS CURRENTLY NOT ENOUGH VERTICAL SPACE TO PUT ANY KIND OF SEAT BACK THERE WITHOUT CARVING OUT THE DECK.

• myles-douglass

October 12, 2022 at 1:38 pm

We really would love the option for a third seat to enable safe and legal transportation for a child in a car seat; we’re trying to start a family and really want to hold our reservation, but if it’s only for future iterations we’ll have to wait. Who wants to wait even longer?! Yuck!

• ROMAD

December 28, 2022 at 8:03 am

What are the child seat requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles and autocycles?

• Sam

December 28, 2022 at 5:29 pm

CA has exceptions when it’s acceptable for a properly restrained baby or child to ride in the front seat are: There is no back seat in the vehicle, like in a truck or two-seater car.

• Qiang

December 29, 2022 at 1:25 pm

From the delta video, it appears that the central tunnel is no longer part of the structure.

In previous forum discussions, one of the third-seat proposals is to replace the existing two seats with a three-person bench-seat. It’s not possible for gamma because of the central tunnel, which is said to be necessary for structural integrity. I am wondering whether the CDC and body-on-frame design of delta makes the bench-seat a possibility for after-market mod.

• Sam

December 29, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Could you please link that Delta video you are referring to?

• Biker

December 31, 2022 at 1:20 pm

For all those clamoring for a third seat, here’s the final Delta production intent design – perhaps this render will make it obvious just how much space (or lack thereof) there is for any kind of third seat. That center armrest is at most about 6″ wide – any kind of center tunnel is not an issue; lack of space is.

• Qiang

December 31, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Fair point. I do not know how the interior width of Aptera compares with other compact cars (Honda Fit, VW Golf, etc). I image the backseat of these compact cars be a good approximate of how a three-person bench seat would look like in an Apetra.

Honda Fit (note that it has a fairly narrow central tray):

Land vehicle, Vehicle, Car, Car seat cover, Car seat, Mode of transport, Vehicle door, Family car, Center console, Seat belt,

• fgSOL24

August 20, 2023 at 3:35 pm

They should add a wide shallow lockable shelf behind the seats, like the old Honda CRX Si. Super useful feature… even if not as a seat!

• konijntje

January 24, 2023 at 9:27 pm

How’s this option looking for the launch edition for a future upgrade/modification?

• WesMan

August 10, 2023 at 10:17 am

From some of the most recent interviews I understand the 3rd seat is still not an early model option for the Aptera. But it does sounds like some, if not all engineering has been sorted out to make this work, in the future.

If there are any outstanding questions, could we open source / community source making interior modular changes for future Aptera configurations?

I understand Aptera desires it’s owners be able to upgrade various technological components of their platform, over time. But I’ve not seen much discussion about interior modularity, or upgrades.

I personally like having the driver center and closer to the front of the vehicle. With the passengers slightly behind the driver on either side. But I understand you give up quite a bit of cargo space, when you compare the current configuration to this.

A more natural third seat would probably be positioned slightly behind the two current seats. With the center console gone, legroom for the third seat might be achieved. This would probably also cut into the current rear storage deck, and might require a cutout. Or require the third seatback to also be able to pivot in a way that becomes flat, when not in use. Or be removed entirely when not in use.

• millan-ferende

October 10, 2023 at 1:58 am

Hello, first of all, love the project, love the product. Thank you for doing what you are doing. I am waiting for a 3 seat variant and can imagine it will still take a while, which is okay.

My friend and I travel in our cars throughout Europe. Going to seminars, workshops, or for business. I also know many people who travel for business in Europe. Having the big storage compartment where you can sleep in, really helps for on the road for the non-stop action. (at the moment, we basically sleep with seats down.)

Maybe this is already implemented, but if not, then it will be amazing to have storage under the seats, in the 3-seater variant. Having doors under the seat that you can open from the side with the doors open, or from the cabin. This is because when you are traveling with 2 people (or maybe sometimes 3), then there will not be enough room in the back for all your belongings (although I could build some shelves at least). Regardless if you want to sleep in the car or not, it is always good to have extra room for the stuff that you carry, perhaps that you don’t use so often.

Being able to save money with your investment is a really big thing and so using this car as a sleeper space between traveling, is great. I believe there is no reason not to have extra storage space under the 3-seater variant, unless it compromises structural integrity by a lot. But if at all possible, it will be great.

Thank you for reading and I wish you a good day for the rest!

• Kamakiri

October 14, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Chris Anthony said, “The platform now is kind of supportive of 3 seats, but probably not 4 or 5 seats…” in video released earlier today by My Tesla Weekend on YouTube in part 2 of the interview.

• Will

March 12, 2024 at 9:46 am

3rd seat option

There is a rib running between the seats. but seems a dense cushion could be placed on top of that to give support for a kid’s seat.

• ROMAD

March 12, 2024 at 11:28 am

How would you anchor it safely?

• jeff-anderson

March 14, 2024 at 9:33 am

I think a fold down child seat would be a nice improvement. This could be called a 2.5 seating configuration. This would be accessible because the two front seats do look like they fold. This may not be available in the 600 and 1000 mile variations because of the taller battery pack. The child seat does need a seatbelt, and anchor points for an infant seat. But does not need a airbag.

or to reply.