Those clever Ozzies!

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Those clever Ozzies!

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Those clever Ozzies!

• Those clever Ozzies!

• kerbe2705

April 20, 2022 at 9:52 pm
  • Philip Raymond

April 20, 2022 at 11:36 pm

I hope Aptera engineers will read this, but they’re so busy they probably won’t. If it works as advertised, it could lower the price a bit, but not a lot. It is a fascinating idea that I hope evolves into something useful anywhere, not just on an Aptera.

• John Malcom

April 21, 2022 at 7:40 am

Good thought! Me too!

• George Hughes

April 21, 2022 at 12:42 am

I’ve been reading about web-press (cheaply) printed perovskite solar cells for decades.

That said, perovskite cells have become quite efficient, although their effective product lives are comparatively short.

Anyway, the efficiency of the Tesla Model 3 is illustrated by the necessity to lay out 18 strips of cells (I’m assuming about the width of a newspaper if it was printed) that were 58 feet long.

Because charging is a key consideration in a 9400 mile trip and they’re carrying their charging with them, you got to figure at least 30-minutes if not an hour for set-up every day. That 58-foot long (the article didn’t specify the width but hinted that the solar cells were printed on a very light substrate. Perovskites are the only solar cells you can print … on a high speed press.

Even at that size, they’d have to be pretty efficient to replace the bulk of juice in a ~75 kwh battery in a period that really should be about a full charge in five or six hours of peak sun that I’m sure highlights the PR gatherings at every planned stop. I figure the solar output those 18 panels combined might be as high as a 10kwh which would support a 200-250 mile a day travel schedule with this setup alone.

I suspect some Aptera adventurers will be doing similar efforts with out the necessity of a 60-foot solar array as a tagalong.

• John Young

April 21, 2022 at 5:07 am

I did some digging on the efficiency of the these cells. They are 2% to 3% efficient. The cells on the Aptera are ~24% efficient. So you would need 10x the surface area to generate the same amount of wattage. That said these obviously do have a place in the mix of solar power generation. I look forward to following the development of this technology. We need all the watts we can get.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now