Thoughts from across the Pond

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts from across the Pond

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts from across the Pond

• Thoughts from across the Pond

• Humphrey Bradley

August 25, 2022 at 4:02 am

Greetings all,

Just squeezed the trigger on my pre-order (400 mile, AWD, complete solar coverage, Noir & Vida + sound & pet upgrades). I have concerns about homologation in UK & EU; it’s a tad too wide at 2.2m, unknown vehicle category (No autocycle in the UK), crash testing, front number plate etc, but I’m hearted to learn that Aptera have a team looking into all of this.

All that said, I’m very much looking forward to look on my fellow Brits faces when they see this rolling down the road!

• Andrew McKeown-Henshall

August 25, 2022 at 5:23 am

Hey 👋 fellow UK reservationist 😎

I don’t think the “autocycle” category is an issue – it falls into category L5e(?)

My worries are width and length that may take some lobbying to resolve (as well as being slightly too wide for current category classification, it is also too long AFAIK)

I am “slightly” disappointed that as a company with stated global ambitions for the model some parts / decisions seem short-sighted (all the effort around Tesla connector for example – it’s a parochial issue) with a lack of international consideration – FWIW, I think Tesla have made same mistake with cybertuck.

• Andrew McKeown-Henshall

August 25, 2022 at 5:31 am

This may be useful re: UK/EU classification

https://www.mcia.co.uk/downloads/download/401

Length of <4m and width <2m may be an issue – although I’m not sure if “common classification criteria” is a way of saying “vehicles that meet criteria are automatically accepted, others will require individual assessment”

• Humphrey Bradley

August 25, 2022 at 5:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for forwarding the Cat L5e details. As you say, the potential dimensions issue may be subject of an exception rather than a straight no. I suspect the NCAP scores might affect approval (A good score might seal the deal?).

I agree re the Cybertruck, though commercially Tesla don’t give a fig about anywhere else other than North America as they can sell all they can make there for decades!! I cancelled my CT pre-order in favour of a Model Y (Company car) to go with our Model 3. My use case for the Aptera is as a fun, funky, guilt-free car I can use for work (I run a EV charging company) & play (road trips across EU).

Let’s hope the rules have enough ‘flex’ in them to allow these wonderful cars by exception!

• Paul Kirchner

August 25, 2022 at 7:01 am

A non sequitur but this is a thought from across the pond. I am currently in the tiny archipelago of the Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic. A population of 50,000 spread across 18 islands and I am stunned how many Teslas I see. Not in San Francisco numbers of course but given the population and remoteness, the Faroese are punching way above their weight class.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

August 25, 2022 at 7:32 am

My neighbors up the road are from the Faroe Islands.

• Paul Kirchner

August 25, 2022 at 7:36 am

Been here for a couple weeks, first part we did without a rental car. Every time we hitchhiked, got picked up with the first passing car and an interesting and engaging conversation with a Faroese. Beautiful open people.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now