Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Additional Solar Panels (break even)

• Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Dan Flynn updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 12 Members · 18 Posts
  • Doug Happ

October 6, 2022 at 2:27 pm

The attached spreadsheet will allow you to estimate the amount of time needed to recoup the amount of money you spend to add additional solar panels to your Aptera.

There are three variables involved:

1. The amount of sunlight your location averages per day. The spreadsheet has a link that makes looking up your Avg peak solar hours very easy.

2. The price your electricity supplier charges per kilowatt-hr. Use $0.20 as a guess if you want. Keep in mind that as the price of electricity goes up, the time to break even decreases.

3. The solar panel configuration you choose to purchase. The calculator shows a break-even value for all four configurations.

Please leave a reply if you experience trouble with this tool.

Doug

• This discussion was modified 2 months ago by  Doug Happ.
    • This discussion was modified 2 weeks ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Curtis Cibinel

October 6, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Given I plan to mainly park in the garage (vandalism concerns), have cheap power, and only have 3.5 hrs of peak in kelowna anyway it will take over 25 years. I might get the hood for aestedics but otherwise the business case is weak (for me). Aptera looks great but the solar isn’t a draw for me. Being a cheap ev sports car with good storage is more than enough.

• Ab Reitsma

October 7, 2022 at 3:46 am

The same applies to me, but I will go for the full solar package anyway because I think it will be very convenient on outdoor camping trips.

I do not have to justify the extra cost, as long as I can spare the money, I will buy an Aptera in the configuration I like best 😁

• John Voules

October 7, 2022 at 7:04 am

Ab, I’m with you when it comes to personal choice. I’m sure I will never recoup the cost of the full solar package but I still will order it. I look at it as more of an insurance against power loss in my area. Even though in the 37 year I have lived in my area, only once did we have a power loss that lasted longer than a few hours.

My premise is, if you have the means, to insure or protect your future from local and or national events, (which for me also includes transportation) I try to limit my family’s vulnerability to what may come. I’m a liberal progressive with my lifestyle but am one who will do what ever I can to prepare for the worse. I’m not a doomsday kind of person, just someone who is precautious. I can’t produce gasoline at home, but if I can produce electricity to power my home and my vehicle, I will.

• Riley …

October 7, 2022 at 2:05 am

Thank you for posting this, if anyone is having trouble justifying an aptera we can use this as another selling point.

I will break even for the $900 full solar in 1.33 years and will break even for the entire car in 50 years. If I factor in the additional savings of driving a more efficient car aptera will pay for itself in 16.6 years.

I have the most expensive electricity in the country at 0.44 per kwh

• Michael Marsden

October 7, 2022 at 8:06 am

> I have the most expensive electricity in the country at 0.44 per kwh

Don’t forget the people who can’t charge at home (apartments etc) and have to charge at public stations. For example, in my part of the world, the average rapid public charger cost is around $0.72/kWh (compared to domestic at $0.37/kWh).
      For us, the extra solar panels pay themselves off very quickly in money terms, but there is also a time saving (avoiding having to hang around at a public charger for hours).

• Doug Happ

October 7, 2022 at 7:48 am
    • Benjamin Dreidel

October 7, 2022 at 1:52 pm

Disregard – I misunderstood the calculations at first.

• Doug Happ

October 7, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Benjamin,

Thanks. It sure is easy to get tangled up in these numbers. The reason I made the calculator was to force myself to work with the variables to become more familiar with them.

• David Marlow

October 7, 2022 at 3:20 pm

The point for me is in demonstrating that driving on solar power is possible and that the reliance on fossil fuels can be minimized. While people worry about loss of jobs in the fossil fuel industry, there are many more and better jobs to be gained by the use of new technology’s.

• Doug Happ

October 7, 2022 at 3:23 pm

👍👏 Agree

• larry kaiser

October 8, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I consider the ability to give OPEC the finger to be priceless!

• Gordon Niessen

October 11, 2022 at 6:18 pm

I’ll second that.

• Donald Venardos

October 9, 2022 at 10:12 pm

If you do live in a sunny area adding the full solar package seems like a great way to extend your range vs upgrading to a higher capacity battery.

• Donald Venardos

October 11, 2022 at 2:58 am

Edit: I see that you have to add all the solar panels to get the advertised recharge rate.

• Doug Happ

October 11, 2022 at 7:05 am

🤞

• Gordon Niessen

October 11, 2022 at 6:17 pm

Don’t forget the 10 seconds you save not having to plugin and unplug every day. 😇

• Dan Flynn

October 11, 2022 at 9:49 pm

How about installing Solar Tubes in garage roof to be able to park Aptera in the garage and still be able to charge by sunlight, during daylight hours?

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now