Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Additional Solar Panels (break even)

• Additional Solar Panels (break even)

Posted by Doug on October 6, 2022 at 2:27 pm

The attached spreadsheet will allow you to estimate the amount of time needed to recoup the amount of money you spend to add additional solar panels to your Aptera.

There are three variables involved:

1. The amount of sunlight your location averages per day. The spreadsheet has a link that makes looking up your Avg peak solar hours very easy.

2. The price your electricity supplier charges per kilowatt-hr. Use $0.20 as a guess if you want. Keep in mind that as the price of electricity goes up, the time to break even decreases.

3. The solar panel configuration you choose to purchase. The calculator shows a break-even value for all four configurations.

Please leave a reply if you experience trouble with this tool.

Doug

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Doug Happ.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    craig-merrow replied 1 year, 3 months ago 12 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Additional Solar Panels (break even)

craig-merrow updated 1 year, 3 months ago 12 Members · 15 Replies
  • curtis-cibinel

October 6, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Given I plan to mainly park in the garage (vandalism concerns), have cheap power, and only have 3.5 hrs of peak in kelowna anyway it will take over 25 years. I might get the hood for aestedics but otherwise the business case is weak (for me). Aptera looks great but the solar isn’t a draw for me. Being a cheap ev sports car with good storage is more than enough.

• ab-reitsma

October 7, 2022 at 3:46 am

The same applies to me, but I will go for the full solar package anyway because I think it will be very convenient on outdoor camping trips.

I do not have to justify the extra cost, as long as I can spare the money, I will buy an Aptera in the configuration I like best 😁

• Greek

October 7, 2022 at 7:04 am

Ab, I’m with you when it comes to personal choice. I’m sure I will never recoup the cost of the full solar package but I still will order it. I look at it as more of an insurance against power loss in my area. Even though in the 37 year I have lived in my area, only once did we have a power loss that lasted longer than a few hours.

My premise is, if you have the means, to insure or protect your future from local and or national events, (which for me also includes transportation) I try to limit my family’s vulnerability to what may come. I’m a liberal progressive with my lifestyle but am one who will do what ever I can to prepare for the worse. I’m not a doomsday kind of person, just someone who is precautious. I can’t produce gasoline at home, but if I can produce electricity to power my home and my vehicle, I will.

• curtis-cibinel

January 17, 2023 at 1:43 pm

My garage is in a separate building 100 meters from my 3rd floor condo. I’m not going to be running an extension cord to power my refrigerator from my Aptera in an emergency. Also the longest power outage I’ve had in the last 15 years was 30 minutes. Solar makes sense for California but they still really need to invest in the grid because long outages should never be the norm.

• Riley

October 7, 2022 at 2:05 am

Thank you for posting this, if anyone is having trouble justifying an aptera we can use this as another selling point.

I will break even for the $900 full solar in 1.33 years and will break even for the entire car in 50 years. If I factor in the additional savings of driving a more efficient car aptera will pay for itself in 16.6 years.

I have the most expensive electricity in the country at 0.44 per kwh

• Mike-Mars

October 7, 2022 at 8:06 am

> I have the most expensive electricity in the country at 0.44 per kwh

Don’t forget the people who can’t charge at home (apartments etc) and have to charge at public stations. For example, in my part of the world, the average rapid public charger cost is around $0.72/kWh (compared to domestic at $0.37/kWh).
      For us, the extra solar panels pay themselves off very quickly in money terms, but there is also a time saving (avoiding having to hang around at a public charger for hours).

• Doug

October 7, 2022 at 7:48 am
  • david-marlow

October 7, 2022 at 3:20 pm

The point for me is in demonstrating that driving on solar power is possible and that the reliance on fossil fuels can be minimized. While people worry about loss of jobs in the fossil fuel industry, there are many more and better jobs to be gained by the use of new technology’s.

• don-venardos

October 9, 2022 at 10:12 pm

If you do live in a sunny area adding the full solar package seems like a great way to extend your range vs upgrading to a higher capacity battery.

• don-venardos

October 11, 2022 at 2:58 am

Edit: I see that you have to add all the solar panels to get the advertised recharge rate.

• dan-flynn

October 11, 2022 at 9:49 pm

How about installing Solar Tubes in garage roof to be able to park Aptera in the garage and still be able to charge by sunlight, during daylight hours?

• stephen-seibel

January 17, 2023 at 1:01 pm

I was thinking about this as well. Thank you for the calculator. It works out to a little more than 10 years, so it is a real toss up for me.

• seth

January 17, 2023 at 6:11 pm

I suspect most people with jobs don’t park in a garage during the peak solar hours. Granted I also suspect this forum has a high percentage of retirees who won’t benefit too much from the solar other than bragging rights. The solar could also make the difference between using a wall outlet, and installing a level2 charger which pays off instantly.

• curtis-cibinel

January 17, 2023 at 6:56 pm

Everyone’s situation is different. I went from parking in the underground at my office building to working from home 100% of the time when covid happened – either way solar is not very useful. I think level 1 will be fine for 90+% of Aptera owners.

• craig-merrow

January 18, 2023 at 6:41 am

Kind of like my house; I was off the grid for several years, and designed the house to be as efficient as possible. When I was able to plug into the grid last year, I discovered that I only use 4 kwh per day, but generate considerably more than I use. With an Aptera, I expect that the full solar package will meet about 75% of my needs, while plugging into the house will cover the balance during the winter months – and I’ll still be producing more power than I use!

or to reply.