tinted windows

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions tinted windows

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions tinted windows

• tinted windows

• Leonard Diasio

March 13, 2022 at 1:37 pm

Does anyone know if Aptera will be delivered with UV tinted windows? Since tinted windows help reflect summer sun and help keep the vehicle warm in the winter, I would think it would. But I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

• Len Nowak Nowak

March 13, 2022 at 3:09 pm

I believe their old website had a graphic, which said solar reflective or UV reflective

But I never recall reading tinted windows

• BRUCE MENGLER

March 13, 2022 at 4:33 pm

I’m getting full solar so that eliminate the rear hatch from this discussion.
    AFAIK it is NOT legal to tint the windshield.
    This leaves only the 2 side which can be tinted, so I wonder how noticeable the results would be.

• Philip Raymond

March 13, 2022 at 7:56 pm

There is a difference between factory auto glass tint (very mild tinting embedded into the glass) and the much darker aftermarket tinting, the latter being regulated differently between states and countries. Most vehicles made since the ’70’s have factory tinted glass that helps reduce UV light exposure in the car and to help air conditioning. I believe Aptera will have traditional factory auto glass tinting (I remember hearing Steve Fambro saying that in one of the videos).

• Pistonboy Delux

March 13, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I wonder if the tint shop would consider each door as having two windows.

• kerbe2705

March 13, 2022 at 9:16 pm

There are also, now, IR-reflective films that have 98% transmissivity and should be legal for use on windshields.

• Gary Greenway

March 14, 2022 at 6:58 am

The typical solar cell spectral response extends into the infrared bands to about 1100 nanometers so putting a IR reflective film on the windshield would block usable light to the solar panels on the dash and reduce their output.

• Alain Chuzel

April 10, 2022 at 6:12 am

If interested, the cells Aptera is likely going to use (Maxeon/SunPower), have a spectral response that extends even further into the infrared than typical silicon cells. Also, further into the blue.

• Steven G. Bueche

March 14, 2022 at 3:22 am

If you don’t get the full solar package I would think this could have the same issues as the AMC Pacer with all the glass it had. This issue becomes all too real for me as I’ve reserved the basic model because it fits my needs. This however leaves me with an open back glass area where all of mother natures harmful things can occur. II will most likely tint and make a custom cover for the back area to prevent anyone from seeing the contents inside.

For now I would think a custom closet pole holder, a spring loaded blind and a few clips should do it. I don’t have a 3D printer but I’m sure I can make something out of wood.

• Joshua Caldwell

April 10, 2022 at 6:33 am

” II will most likely tint and make a custom cover for the back area to prevent anyone from seeing the contents inside.” You could go the full solar option and there will be no rear window for people to see inside + you get additional solar charging capability. As a trucker, I’ve learned that having no rear view mirror is irrelevant so long as you are careful about positioning the side windows. Even better, the rear hatch is supposed to have a rear view camera with a display where the rear view mirror normally is.

• Francis Giroux

March 14, 2022 at 7:41 am

Isn’t UV radiation part of the valuable source of solar cells energy production? I guess UV shielding on the windshield won’t harm the electrical output of the dashboard solar sells, as much as it will protect the interior for long life expectancy of the vehicle. I guess we can afford a 10% reduction of the few miles per day we expect from the dashboard cells.

• Alain Chuzel

April 10, 2022 at 6:25 am

By the time the sunlight hits the surface of the earth, there’s very little UV left (compared to visible and infrared).

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now