Tire Changing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire Changing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire Changing

• Tire Changing

Boz O’Clown updated 2 months ago 8 Members · 12 Posts
  • Donny Wilbanks

April 25, 2022 at 5:11 pm

I am new to the auto-cycle, and don’t ride motor cycles myself. Many of my friends have had to ditch their bikes because of bad drivers. The Aptera being something people will be able to see makes a big difference. I have a question with the motor and breaks in the wheel? How hard would it be to change a flat tire? I usually just jack the car up, pull off the old one and then place the new spare on. Got a video to show us what is involved?

• Curtis Cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Standard hand tools are expected to be able to remove the wheel pants in under 30 seconds (potentially without tools – still in development – See video by Aptera Owners Club). From this it is no different than a car – jack it up and change the wheel. We will not have a spare included (normal for any vehicle in the last 10 years) but if you are planning to offroad their is plenty of storage in the back to put another full size tire or smaller spare tire. Tires are 195/45 R16

• Donny Wilbanks

April 25, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I was worried that I would have to disconnect powerlines and break fluid lines. I just found a YouTube video explaining how it should work. I myself am not a fan of just the fill the wounded tire with sealant and an air compressor. So I like having a spare ready to go. This car is looking better with each iteration. Thanks.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 26, 2022 at 7:53 am

Here are some pictures of Aptera’s wheels and hub motors. The green thing is the hub motor. The wheel bolts on with lugnuts like a normal car. The hub motor just fits inside like a drum brake.

• Francis Giroux

April 26, 2022 at 6:20 pm

So where is this video showing how it should work?

Another question I have for everybody: If I wanted a spare tire, does it have to be on a non-ferrous rim, since the permanent magnets of the hub motor are just inside of the rim? I believe a steel rim may interfere with the magnetic fields of the permanent magnets, I wouldn’t want to do that.

• Boz O’Clown

April 27, 2022 at 3:01 pm

It seems there will be little problem with removing either front wheel. That rear wheel, with its double swing arms, will be something else. Apparently the single swing arm of the Alpha is out.

• Russell Fauver

April 27, 2022 at 3:19 pm

I thought they were keeping the single sided swing arm on the rear. Maybe I’m mistaken. At 21:16 in this video I believe Chris says it’s a single arm with a dual trailing link. If that’s correct then the other side would be clear (other than the fairing) for pulling the tire. https://youtu.be/I-KdsjVQhu0

• Gary Greenway

April 27, 2022 at 4:08 pm

Boz, That’s an easy mistake to make. In the Aptera Owners Club video, Unedited Complete Aptera Beta Ride Along, At 1:39, Chris misspoke saying that they had problems with the single sided swingarm when he should have said single swingarm. This is still a single sided swingarm but is a dual link single sided swingarm.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Gary Greenway.
      • kerbe2705

April 27, 2022 at 5:37 pm

@Gary Greenway – good catch!

• Boz O’Clown

April 27, 2022 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for the pictures… worth a thousand words.👍

• Gary Greenway

April 27, 2022 at 4:10 pm
    • Gary Greenway

April 27, 2022 at 4:22 pm
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.