Trigger road sensors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Trigger road sensors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Trigger road sensors?

• Trigger road sensors?

Mark Salyzyn updated 1 month, 1 week ago 9 Members · 10 Posts
  • Mark Salyzyn

August 21, 2022 at 1:34 pm

Riding big motorcycles near for half century. And yet have always had troubles being at the stop line where the magnetic sensor loops are embedded to trigger a light change, or a phase transition for left hand turns. I keep the local cops on speed dial and call ’em to report any insensitive loops.

Betcha a vehicle made of composites is going to have the same problem. Too late to ask to switch to more ferrous materials now that we have reached Gamma and vehicle design has been stopped and replaced with production equipment design.

Do you think the 1000 mile variant will fair better than the 250 mile? Cobalt, Lithium and Copper are not ferrous. Do you think the in-wheel motors with all the exotic and iron magnetic pathways and tight airgaps will look after this problem? But they are at the edges far away from the loops centered behind the limit line. AWD might work if you inch over the limit line and place the rear motor over the loop.

What are your thoughts?

• Kevin Bradbury

August 21, 2022 at 1:58 pm

I think I’ll be running red left turn lights in my Aptera like I do on my Suzuki Burgman 650.

You gotta catch me coppers. 👮 😆

• Bob Kirchner

August 21, 2022 at 2:35 pm

This is way beyond my areas of knowledge, but I have a suspicion that the electromagnetic fields from the hub motors might trigger the sensors at stoplights. Maybe you’d have to rock the car back and forth a bit?

• Mark Howell

August 21, 2022 at 3:31 pm

There are magnets in the Elaphe electric motors in the wheel hubs which I assume have very powerful magnets I would assume that should be enough to trigger the in road sensors.

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 21, 2022 at 3:50 pm

I think you have a good point. I am hoping either the cage for the front suspension or the rear wheels’ motor will trigger the sensors. There is also a large aluminum plate under the battery package to assist in cooling and metal in the batteries themselves that might do it. But you are right that the composite body will not trigger them.

• kerbe2705

August 21, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Some Tesla Model S had this problem, as the vehicle is almost entirely made from aluminum. When they started producing AWD versions, though, the problem went away – because the magnets in the front motor would trigger the traffic light induction switch.

Aptera’s two front motors should be more than sufficient to task.

• Gary Greenway

August 22, 2022 at 9:54 am

The inductive coils in the roadway react to ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickle, cobalt etc. There is iron in the front subframe, brake rotors and calipers, and wheel motors, There is nickle and cobalt in the battery.

• Peter Dezendorf

August 22, 2022 at 11:38 am

In Virginia, there is a “two or two” law for motorcycles (I’m guessing it will cover attocycles). If you are the only vehicle at a traffic light, lets say for a left turn, and the light cycles twice with no left turn arrow, or does not change at all for two minutes, then you are allowed to make the turn if traffic permits. I used that occasionally. Sold my last bike in 2019, a BMW S1000R (gosh, what a marvelous motorcycle).

• Steven G. Bueche

August 22, 2022 at 11:46 am

I used to install those same loops for driveway gates. They are the very same used in traffic situations. In most states these have gone away and replaced with cameras that have vehicle/motion sensors. I don’t think this will be an issue. Besides, it’ll give those people chasing you a chance to catch up and ask what you’re driving. 🤩

• Mark Salyzyn

August 22, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Thanks y’all. Let’s hope that the wheels work even despite being so far away from the center of the loop.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now