Trunk lid closing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Trunk lid closing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Trunk lid closing

• Trunk lid closing

• Peter Dezendorf

December 10, 2021 at 2:53 pm

How does the trunk lid close? How does it open?

I’m more interested in how it closes. With the volume of the trunk tapering rapidly to the rear, I am concerned with having an object in the trunk that will prevent the lid from closing. Will any damage occur?

A couple of years ago my son, who is a musician, had a hatchback car. After a gig he loaded his equipment into the car, then slammed the lid. His amp was a bit too far back, causing the rear window to break.

• Llewellyn Evans

December 11, 2021 at 12:51 am

It looks like a normal hatch back. If so, it would have the usual advantages and disadvantages of that type of boot (trunk). Lots of room at the front, not so much at the back.

• Riley ________________________________

December 11, 2021 at 2:45 am

I am not sure if they have made the decision on weather to use plexiglass or standard glass for the rear hatch. I would recommend the rear solar to prevent breaking anything and also avoid any potential thieves from being able to see what’s back there.

• Lou Verner

December 11, 2021 at 10:17 am

Riley, not sure adding solar to hatch would do anything to prevent glass, which is still underneath, from cracking if someone slammed hatch down on top of large item in back. This might be prevented if Aptera adopted electronic closure found on many current SUVs in that slow close stops if it hits something. Otherwise it would seem simplest solution is simply to never slam it down in first place ????

• Ken Potter

December 11, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Peter & Riley: It’s my guess that the solar cells on the rear hatch are bonded to the glass. In the past, I’ve suggested that the glass could be completely replaced by a composite panel. I assume that the driver relies on the rear-view camera for visibility, so the question is whether the solar cells allow some light to come in or not. If so, then maybe the composite that replaces the glass could be translucent.

• Robert Klasson

December 12, 2021 at 1:05 am

I hope they replace the glass with a composite panel for the solar rear hatch. A composite panel with the structural integrity required to replace the glass would probably weigh a fifth of what the glass weighs. Seems like a too easy way to shed some weight not to take advantage of considering the efficiency gains. Could be several percents worth of range.

• Paul Kirchner

December 11, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Riley,

Not sure where you live but I live in an area of Oakland, that is…challenging.. we’ll say. Best practices around here says to show you have absolutely zero inside worth breaking into. I fold down my rear seats to allow an unobstructed view of the entire car. If you cover something up, they may think there might be something and will pop your window without thinking just to see.

• Ray Holan

December 12, 2021 at 6:11 am

Fairly sure I’ve heard Chris Anthony state their intention to use safety glass rather than plexiglas throughout the vehicle. Plexiglas saves weight but is prone to scratching easily.

• kerbe2705

December 12, 2021 at 8:35 am

Please explain your question: What do you want to know about “how”? Do you mean, “How is the locking mechanism actuated?” or do you mean, “How is the hatch attached to the body of the vehicle?” As to the former, there will be an on-screen button and, to the latter, the hatch is hinged along the roofline and supported by pneumatic struts.

• Peter Dezendorf

December 12, 2021 at 12:42 pm

How does one close the trunk? If manual, then how high is the end of the trunk from the ground.

Or is it closed via motor?

• Llewellyn Evans

December 12, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Gee, that’s a good question. If it is motorised, there would be a safety to prevent some kid getting head stuck in it; that may also protect the glass. My guess is manual.

• Markus Schmid

December 12, 2021 at 4:05 pm

Hi Peter. In one of the numerous videos, it was said (if i remember correctly it was Chris Antony, I only took note otf the numbers) that the end of the opened trunk lid was at a height of 6 ft 2 in above the floor. I think he wouldn’t have mentioned it if it was operated by a motor. Of course he was demonstrating one of the three Alpha models but I can’t remember he would have talked about planning to motorize the hatch.

After all motorizing the hatch would mean additional weight an to me the formerly expressed ide of closing the trunk lid carefully sounds like a plan, we still have alt least some months to mentally prepare ourselves for doing so. ????

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now