Two radical alternative to the side mirror requirement

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Two radical alternative to the side mirror requirement

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Two radical alternative to the side mirror requirement

• Two radical alternative to the side mirror requirement

Steven G. Bueche updated 4 months ago 7 Members · 9 Posts
  • Wilson Tsai

February 27, 2022 at 1:24 pm
  • Francis Giroux

February 27, 2022 at 5:19 pm

If either of these will pass inspection and regulations, problem solved. We can use the cameras and monitors and have the reflective surface requirement to make the politicians happy.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

February 27, 2022 at 7:07 pm

how is reflective material on wheel going to help? the top mirror would be like on this other car i guess. i think better solution is camera, but also have a screw on cheap mirror that wraps around the camera, and camera can still be used while the thing is on by using those mirror lenses that can be seen through on one side but not the mirror side. such glass or whatever is used in mental treatment asylum stuff.

would be cool is such mirror could be used in windhsield window so driving enviroment reflects offf it like some ski glasses to give a dynamic visuals it driving by, while wokring like tint at some level, but that might be illegal like how heavy tint is illegal in some places

• Curtis Cibinel

February 27, 2022 at 7:23 pm

Speculating about potential tacky ways to to comply with the letter of a rule without knowing exactly how it is worded is pointless. The surface likely cannot pivot with steering and undoubtedly has many other stipulations.

Placing the minimum amount on the camera stocks seems to be the best current plan. To be determined if they designed this to be removed when the rule is fixed.

• John Malcom

February 27, 2022 at 8:10 pm

👍 absolutely!

• Wilson Tsai

February 27, 2022 at 7:30 pm

I know it’s a long stretch for the two suggestions to be acceptable. I just hope Aptera makes it possible/simple enough for us to be able to disconnect the camera from the currently required mirror and then be able to attach the camera directly onto the body once the law permits it.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

February 27, 2022 at 7:51 pm

camera can also use optic fiber then use mirrors to get a bigger image from a smaller camera arm, which may also make it cheaper to fix if it breaks vs normal camera

• Jon Arryn

February 28, 2022 at 4:56 am

NHTSA has this as a docket item awaiting disposition, since 2019 🙁 Currently, the last public comment is from May 2021 – Federal Register :: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 111, Rear Visibility.

Based on NHTSA testing in the following document from 2018, their testing seems to favorably compare side cameras to mirrors. Examination of a Prototype Camera Monitor System for Light Vehicle Outside Mirror Replacement (nhtsa.gov). Maybe there’s hope..

• Steven G. Bueche

February 28, 2022 at 5:24 am

Thanks for the information.

I for one can live with both options as shown. (Aptera’s) The meniscal amount of drag will not effect overall mileage in my opinion.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now