UI Skins?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions UI Skins?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions UI Skins?

• Karl Holbert

April 4, 2022 at 9:30 am

Howdy all,

So while I am very interested in all the aspects of Aptera, as an artist I am always very interested in the look and aesthetics of things. One thing I would love to see / request in my new Aptera would be the ability to have custom skins for the UI (user interface). Just a way to make the Aptera more personal and more reflective of the individual customer. Some might like the very “echo minded” look where the interface has more green and lighter looking designs. Other might want something that is more edgy and futuristic. At a minimum if skins were cost prohibitive having backgrounds and colors of the various UI elements be customizable would be a good place to start.

So my question to the community is… What would you like your UI to look like? For me as a big fan of Syd Mead I would love a very retro-futurism / synthwave look, similar the main screens in the spinner vehicle from Blade Runner or even the digital dash from Subaru XT turbo of the late 80’s. šŸ™‚

• This discussion was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Karl Holbert.
    • This discussion was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Karl Holbert.
  • Raj Giandeep

April 4, 2022 at 9:32 am

I’d personally would like to be able to tint the screen red to ease the strain on the eyes. Have dark mode, etc.

• Joshua Rosen

April 4, 2022 at 10:32 am

I would love to have the ability to change colors and font size at the very least, if they could give some customization about what information is displayed on the bottom of the home screen that would be great but at the very least colors and font size.

I’ll give you an example of something simple that Tesla has messed up in the last couple of years. The battery level icon was green when I first got the car, now it’s gray. The human eye is most sensitive to green which made reading that icon easy, now that it’s gray it’s much harder to read. The other problem with gray, vs black for example, is that it’s low contrast. I suspect that Elon is color blind which is why they made the change. Making colors configurable allows people to optimize the display for their needs. I’m 67, I still have 20/20 vision but I need a lot of light and higher contrast. On my computer I set terminals and XEmacs to display black on white, I’ve noticed that young people seem to do the opposite, i.e. white on black which I find nearly impossible to read. Clearly young eyes and old eyes have different needs, please make the display configurable to accommodate this.

• Dean McManis

April 5, 2022 at 10:03 am

I had raised this question before as well. I don’t want anything to delay the Aptera’s production, but this could be developed and updated over time to provide custom screen options. Potentially, there are Two or 3 screens that may be accessible and customizable. The big screen, the smaller dashboard screen, and maybe the rear view screen. the most basic would just display the side view and rear view cameras, and the Crank software as shown previously on the main dash (larger) screen. I do think that a dark mode is important, and a minimal mode. Perhaps for some day in the future I’d like to see fully customizable screens, like Ferrari-style gauges, or an antique/classic look, or the Jetsons, or…?

• Curtis Cibinel

April 5, 2022 at 10:24 am

What does a Jetsons gauge look like anyway?
      I am hoping for a basic dark mode toggle and for them to otherwise KISS until features like sentry and dog mode are worked out. I wouldn’t expect games, streaming and fart sounds any time soon.

• Laura Batchelor

April 5, 2022 at 10:20 am

Large fonts!!!! We use white backgrounds with black type for old eyes but often the core menu fonts remain at a default of tiny. Most annoying. The brightness should be easily adjustable while driving.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 5, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I am an engineer and a NG pilot. So as plain/simple as possible with clear display of the data in simplest and easiest form for quick understanding. Emphasis on simple design

• Karl Holbert

April 5, 2022 at 3:38 pm

I think all the different responses here are exactly why what I am proposing would be a great feature. šŸ™‚ Some want simple, some want complex, some want dark with light fonts, others want light with dark fonts… Even just control over colors of various elements (background, text, icons) i think would go a long way to addressing most of these desires. Like I said I know the idea of a UI skin is probably the furthest thing from their mind but one can dream. šŸ™‚

• Pistonboy Delux

April 5, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Since everyone ask if it will fly, make the screen look like instruments from an airplane.

• Tim Dean

April 5, 2022 at 4:05 pm

The UI must not distract from the driving. No layers on layers to drill down to needed features and no reading while driving. It must not cause night blindness. The auto industry must be a lot of data on which feature are needed & used most during normal driving.

Iā€™m used to Stalks. Turn signals, high/low beams & wiper/washer controls on left stalk with forward/reverse & cruise on the right stalk.

I can learn new patterns & methods but muscle memory touch w/tactile feedback is always better than screens with eyes off the road.

K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple for stupid.)

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

April 7, 2022 at 6:49 am

how about dark orange font and dark mode, so minimum glare and energy usage. maybe optional red font (red woudlnt be teh default just because some people may not like the aesthetic, theyd see it as “agressive”, while rather dark reddish orange isnt like that, but is closest to the non glaring property of red. glare reduces eye strain and is minimally blinding at night (lok at phone screen with brightness on, then turn it off suddenly, it will take some time before you can see in the dark maximally). brightness would have to be enough so that it can be read without much focus being shifted to the display from the driving environment. BMW did similarly before todays silly video screens were fitted in dashboards.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now