V2H Vehicle to Home Charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions V2H Vehicle to Home Charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions V2H Vehicle to Home Charging

• V2H Vehicle to Home Charging

• Matthew Huszarik

March 15, 2022 at 2:28 pm

In my opinion along with the Aptera’s range a reasonable ability to use the Aptera to provide 120/240v AC @ about 5kw would be a killer application. The inverter doesn’t even have to be on board it could be mobile just take it with you when you need it. Uses, back up power at home, power when away from AC camping at the beach ect, giving another BEV a enough juice to get to a charger, running 120/240v appliances and tools from your Aptera.

With a little software you could even plug it in your home solar to minimize your utility bills as net metering goes away.

• This discussion was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Matthew Huszarik. Reason: Check email replies
  • Curtis Cibinel

March 15, 2022 at 4:21 pm

A 12V AC inverter is a heavy and expensive piece of hardware. A 5000W unit is probably about ~$800 / 20lb. These work off 12V DC so I’m not sure if the vehicle would have a enough 12V capacity to provide this or if another converter would be needed. Ideally the vehicle could deliver adequate 12V DC then people that want this feature can buy an inverter sized to their needs. With a focus on efficiency and price I really don’t see why this needs to be builtin if an adequate DC port can be provided. If you need extra hardware to step down from 400V it might be a safety hazard to externalize it so not sure if this is a practical approach.

• GRAUSS Thierry

March 16, 2022 at 1:48 pm

A V2G inverter doesn’t work from 12V but from the high voltage battery, so 400V DC to 120V or 240V DC. The current is much smaller.

This is 400V/13A and 240V/21A.

• Curtis Cibinel

March 16, 2022 at 2:37 pm

If its a dedicated device built in then yes; But if they want to provide a port which can safely have a device such as this plugged in they need to lower the voltage to 12V first.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/energizer-1500-watt-12v-dc-to-120v-ac-power-inverter/1001281866

• Matthew Huszarik

March 19, 2022 at 3:46 pm

The Aptera if it uses a standard plug that can support Level 1, 2, or 3 charging is already designed to support plugging in a 400v DC source. The same plug could supply an inverter with 400v DC and it would be no more dangerous than charging the vehicle.

• GRAUSS Thierry

March 16, 2022 at 3:16 pm

I think that a 5kW inverter would be cheaper if it was integrated inside the Aptera as it would work from the high-voltage battery and then with lower currents.

Also it is not that expensive. My new EV (while waiting for the Apera to come to France) is a MG ZS with 70kWh battery. It comes with a 2.5kW inverter for V2L and this EV is one of the cheapest EV with over 400km WLTP range.

So I guess that it should not be a problem to integrate a 5kW inverter inside the Aptera.

I hope that they will do this at least for the later Aptera when it will be released in Europe.

• stéphane harié

March 17, 2022 at 12:11 am

Hi, I already post something related to your suggestion but under “which option do you want?”, but don’t know how to link to it here…

Me too in France, I have a MG ZS EV 70KWh with this V2L option (max 3kW)… and I use it a lot… I also modified the electrical installation of my house to use the V2L as a backup source and to power some of the appliances, plugs and lights of the house in case of main power cut. It is working nicely!

So yes a V2L, V2H or what ever the name we give to it, is a must have option!

• Gary Greenway

March 18, 2022 at 2:53 pm

If they just make the battery voltage available at the CCS port, whoever wants to spend the money on a V2H setup can buy their own inverter. There is no reason for everyone to bear the cost of the hardware. That also reduces the vehicle weight and moves the generated heat outside of the vehicle

• M T

March 18, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Fitted for not with, is definitely the best option (battery voltage available at CSS port). Extremely low cost, easy to implement, yet allows customization down the line for those who want the V2H option.

• stéphane harié

March 19, 2022 at 2:43 am

Yes, just to be more precise: on the MG ZS EV the V2L is not an option! You get the functionality even if you don’t need it.

But the V2L is provided through the CCS port! Therefore what you need to purchased in extra is a dedicated cable CCS to the standard plug of your country. This cable is recognized by the car.

But I don’t know if a second inverter is used in that case or the existing one for the charge…

• kerbe2705

March 18, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Would Aptera require a second inverter for this purpose? The on-board charger is just an inverter and aren’t inverters inherently bidirectional, given the appropriate circuitry and control? If so, Aptera will already have either a 3.3 or 6.6 kW inverter built in. The external power port that ships with the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 is just a J1772p-to-NEMA 5-15r adaptor…

• Russell Fauver

March 20, 2022 at 5:49 am

The Aptera already has at least one fully capable inverter built in, probably two since each front wheel motor can be powered independently. Would it take a lot of hardware/software/engineering to tap into the 3-phase AC output from the motor drive inverter and sync it to typical house current?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Russell Fauver.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Russell Fauver.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Russell Fauver. Reason: Grammar
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now