Aptera service, support and warranty

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera service, support and warranty

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera service, support and warranty

• Aptera service, support and warranty

David Marlow updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago 58 Members · 131 Posts
  • George Hughes

August 29, 2021 at 5:39 am

In several discussions I keep hearing about warranties and how consumers want 10-year, 100,000+mile battery warranties, ten or twenty year paint warranties, etc. etc. etc.

Aptera, if nothing else, is a brand that insists on doing things differently. Start with the design; yeah … they were trying to do the maximum efficiency gig a dozen years ago (only to get torpedoed by the industry that knows how to compete on style and BS, not real efficiency). Then there is right to repair which promises innovative approaches to parts and service, followed by the use of lightweight composites in a monocoque shell for safety.

We know, among other things, that coming out the chute Aptera’s service approach is, at best, going to be a custom effort unless they can recruit local shops to provide service. Unless they limit sales to the SoCal area, dispensing factory agents to diagnose and fix problems is going to be a nightmare – unless the Aptera is near bulletproof from the get-go.

Those who receive their Aptera early in the production are going to be under pressure from the public to show off and even allow test drives. These early owners could do what I plan, which to list my Aptera on Turo for comprehensive test drives. I suspect a weekend test drive with the camper addition will be about $400. The question is how to get my ‘weekend customer’ a ‘credit’ against a new Aptera for that test drive. (I’m wondering if I might buy two or three)

The point is that how will hold up in this circumstance? Will I need additional service?

You could have a million mile warranty but if there is no one around to fix mine, the warranty is but a piece of paper.

Certainly, if through my allowing ‘test drives’ I will need to know someone who can actually service the vehicles. When the factory will locate a repair agent in the ATL metro or provide service direction is critical question. How this is accomplished has not yet been announced.

Neither has information relating to warranties or incentive referral programs and a host of other issues.

Personally, I am not expecting answers until we are much closer to the formal launch.

Is there a way to approach this whole marketing challenge in a way that solves the issues with enhanced consumer confidence? Could that approach be ‘out of the box’ … or are the risks associated with Aptera – already enormous – just so tenuous that a mind-grabbing alternate approach is out of the question?

There are ‘extended’ warranty companies operating out there. Given the transparency of Aptera and the advantage of right to repair, the idea is Aptera BizDev reaches out with the notion of having them handle warranty work, including their existing contacts with repair shops.

I too was skeptical as I’m thinking of some of the more questionable players but a legit company in that space could lend instant credibility as well as participate in the recruitment of retail shops all illustrated around the astounding transparency of the entire operation which starts compiling in the public – through the third party warranty insurance company’s publication of the parts on the Aptera and their MTBF.

The goal is to establish a warranty offering that is just too cool. Most of the expensive components are all warranted by original manufacturers like Elaphe and whomever is the source for Aptera’s batteries. The understanding is the warranty fulfilment company would be invited in to review the approach and to assess the aggregate warranty work.

Anyway, the actuaries who calculate this stuff will be taking into account various aspects of the repair and costs and hopefully will conclude, there is very little to break. And especially when things may fail, access to the problematic component is easy (remember you can take the car apart with hand tools in two hours – I don’t like to say that often cause that is like music to a thief’s ears but easy repair is the ticket.)

What would be really cool about a system like this is it basically details the problems customers have with the Aptera. In part because the essential elements are components, those components reliability will be understood. If, and it is a big IF, a particular component proves troublesome, it can not only be replaced with new production but also be packaged and available for retrofit.

So how do you make that happen?

You give the warranty in the form of an insurance policy that is bumper-to-bumper that is no-cost for 24-months but to continue bumper to bumper coverage for up to ten more years comes at an annual cost that will be adjusted in cost in conjunction with warranty claims. Certain components such as the wraps may have deductibles. Other retro-fit items may be upgradable under this kind of program. The biggest payoff to Aptera owners may be the cost of extending the warranty insurance another decade (20-year warranty).

Probably the coolest thing is this approach puts the incentive at Aptera on constant improvement to the componentry. Decisions on whether the upgrade ought to be universal or universal in one region but not another could be handled by the deductible for repair/replacement. Obviously replacing a part with an unauthorized one would risk voiding of the warranty.

If the ‘franchise’ for the warranty insurance were kept in-house, the funds from extended warranty expenses would be largely off-set by the insurance payments from owners extending their initial warranties. This could be adjusted by Aptera and also off-set by profits obtained by larger parts purchases and if they make the Aptera as bulletproof as we hope, this will be a corporate profit center.

If the franchise for the warranty were to be through a partnership with a third-party repair insurer, the initial impact would be enhanced credibility over option one because this is not a new business to the partner. As the warranties of the component mfgs cover most major costs during the first two years, the insurance payment to this third- party partnership should be comparatively modest. As the OEM warranty on some of those components will expire at presumably different times, the insurance paradigm for extending the warranty and maximizing customer satisfaction may, on the turf of right to repair, be a winner.

It is an idea that sketches a path toward the founder’s vision of a multi-generational car. What better way to market that than with a multi-generational warranty program.

• This discussion was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • Llewellyn Evans

August 29, 2021 at 5:39 am

Hi,

Most roadside breakdowns supported by motoring clubs are things like. Flat tyre, ran out of petrol, flat battery, Something bad happened and I need a tow, I am stuck in some mud.

Obviously running out of petrol will not be a problem but the others may still need supporting.

– With Aptera, do we replace a spare tyre or do we use Flat Repair spray?

– Is there a 12v battery to run the electronics (not 400V drive battery). In my Miev van, if the 12V battery is flat then you are stuck without a 12v source to charge the battery.

– can you tow an Aptera behind a tow truck or does it have to go on a trailer?

– are there tow points for short a emergency tow?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  John Trotter. Reason: title expanded for search clarity
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • Gabriel Kemeny

August 29, 2021 at 8:38 am

There won’t be a spare tire.

The details of the battery setup have not been shared yet.

Flat towing may be possible but not confirmed yet.

Tow points should be possible.

• Joshua Rosen

August 29, 2021 at 8:47 am

I’d like to see them use a 12V lithium battery instead of lead acid but it’s unlikely. Tesla has started to use 12V lithium batteries in the new Model S’s and they say they want to do it all cars but that hasn’t happened yet and every other EV maker hasn’t said anything about replacing the lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries are ill-suited to EV use, both VW and Ford had problems with the ID.3 and Mach-E getting bricked because they didn’t manage the drain correctly. The lead acid batteries have been known to fail in as little as two or three years on the Model 3, by contrast the battery on my last ICE car lasted 8 years before it needed replacement.

Running out of juice is also likely to become more frequent as EVs become more common and more importantly as they move into the mainstream instead of early adopters. In today’s world where charging stations are far apart EV owners are careful about their battery management, ironically as the charging infrastructure gets better you are likely to see more people running out of battery because they will become as nonchalant about charge levels as people are about gas. AAA will still be able to handle this although it will be slower. Tow trucks are based on pickup trucks, the F150 hybrid already as 7KW of available power and the F150 Lightning will have 11KW, You’ll be able to plug your portable EVSE into it’s 240V outlet and get enough charge to get to a DC charger but instead of the five minutes it takes with gas it will be an hour. Now that Ford has made on board power outlets a feature every other truck maker will have to follow suit. In Europe you have the benefit of three phase power so in theory those trucks could put out 22KW instead of the 11KWs that we are limited to in the US.

New cars don’t come with spare tires anymore with the exception of off-roaders, EVs are not different than any other car in this respect. The solution is a tow. I have a 200 mile towing plan with AAA, Tesla also provides towing and they would be the first call I’d make. Aptera will probably do the same and offer towing services. AWD cars require flat bed tow trucks, you can’t use a hook truck. The same will be true for even the FWD Aptera because it will have to be towed from the back, towing a car on one wheel won’t work, it’s likely to tip over.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 29, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info. That should help many buyers with the same questions.

I have a suggestion for future development for towing.

Tow the car with a tow hook from the front.

Add a towing mode to the car where it will

– turn regeneration off

– use the automatic driving system to follow the tow truck

– use the automatic driving system to automatically brake before hitting the back of the towing vehicle.

– use the automatic driving system to watch the tail lights on the towing vehicle and activate the same signal, brake and tail lights as the towing vehicle.

In this mode any car could tow an Aptera using rope ….. with nobody in it. ????

• George Hughes

August 29, 2021 at 6:33 pm

Funny frankly, how timid those opting for the radical change to electric powered travel are. They’re even more timid than Ford Motor Company :), an institution known more for Henry Ford’s “any color as long as it is black” statement than radical change. I mean Ford was the last to walk away from the front-engine, rear drive car format adopted in what, 1910?

Seems Ford has filed a patent – it is obviously very broad – that calls for towing arrangements for EVs that take into consideration roadway charging.

The Ford Patent involves choosing times when the towed vehicles regen would be energized. https://www.thedrive.com/tech/41529/ford-looking-at-charging-evs-by-flat-towing-them .

I remember a youtube video four or five years ago that put a tow chain on a Leaf and the ensuing pull around the parking lot was shown to be able to charge the vehicle. Went to check if I could see it and this bit showing a Model 3 driver behind a MB sedan being pulled at up to 70 mph, charged from 15% to over 50% in a 20-mile (20-minute) run tethered to ICE sedan. The problem was the MB got about 5 mpg during the exercise as the ‘power expended’ to pull the Tesla in full regen was about 87 hp on top of the energy needed to attain that speed.

What Ford’s patent suggests is that you need to electronically couple the vehicle to the tow vehicle and manipulate the power from the towed vehicle to minimize braking drag from the regen; opting for full regen when descending a hill or other breaking situation.

All moderan EVs offer regenerative braking and all EVs can gain a charge through this process.

I suspect the reason that EV manufacturers have literally shunned this idea is because they were afraid of the liability they may incur if, say someone tows an EV for an extended period it will stress both the tow vehicle enormously and potentially cause an overheating/charging problem with the towed vehicles battery overheating … with constant regeneration.

I think Ford’s realization with its patent is that you don’t want the towed vehicle to invoke full regen with maximum braking at all times. For instance if you were towing my spark EV, you would use the lighter regen of the car in D rather than in the enhanced regen capability of “L” … and you would be in a towed formation for a longer period of time – not the 20 minutes of the Tesla driver here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nILM_DEdBqM

I’m sure the average human being could devise numerous ways to make towing for a charge a disaster from over-towing, over-charging or just some other element of stupidity but the basic law of physics that make regeneration possible operate independently of whether a tow-rope/chain is attached to your car.

• duane voth

September 16, 2021 at 7:16 am

This tow+recharge thought occurred to me too – not surprised others have already been thinking along these lines.

A mod or two tho: A three wheeler should tow easier if it were backwards (with the rear wheel off the ground, thus recharge would need to work in reverse). And most likely this is an RV style 2nd vehicle for trips, so a “limit drag” setting for the recharge rate would be needed. Of course smart electronics could alleviate all the issues previously presented such as turning recharge off while accelerating, and increasing recharge when braking …

• John Malcom

August 29, 2021 at 8:58 pm

There is a start up that has built modular batteries for onsite charging of EVs (No different than AAA or other road service bringing gasoline) Being tested for road service now. Charge is $25 Much cheaper that towing. Remember, Paradigm Shift. We aren’t in towing Kansas anymore.

• Joshua Rosen

August 30, 2021 at 7:58 am

I don’t see how SparkCharge has a future. Their system costs thousands of dollars, weighs hundreds of pounds and only charges at 13KW. You can get 11KW out of a 240AC outlet. The Ford 150 Lighting has a 240V outlet and can source 11KW. Tow trucks are based on pickup trucks and every truck maker is going to copy Fords feature which means that every tow truck will eventually be able to charge directly without a bulky device like the SparkCharge.

• John Schwartz

September 6, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Yes, eventually tow trucks will have this feature natively. Sooner will probably be the AAA service trucks that just do jump starts, emergency fuel, and other basic stuff not requiring a tow. Even those will likely not be converted for some time. The SparkCharge is an interim solution to get us through the next 20 years or so of BEV adoption.

• Joshua Rosen

September 6, 2021 at 1:20 pm

If you owned a tow truck would you invest in a Spark Charge? Tow truck drivers are independent companies, they have contracts with AAA but they aren’t owned by AAA. A Spark Charge costs thousands of dollars it’s hard to see how you could ever make that money back even in Southern California where EVs make up a measurable percentage of the fleet. Outside of California there is zero chance that you would make your money back. On the other hand when it’s time to replace your truck you’ll get an outlet for free. Ford has 7KW on the hybrid 150 and 11KW on the electric 150. Outlets are so incredibly useful in a work truck that everybody is going to have them, they are the new cup holders for pickup trucks.

One more thing, I’d bet that a much lower percentage of EVs run out of juice than ICEVs run out of gas. The reason is that EVs are charged at home, there is no forgetting to fill the tank. Gas car drivers don’t think about fuel levels, they just gas up when it gets low. It’s not that hard to put off filling your tank a little too long and then running out of gas, can’t happen with an EV that has home charging.

• Carl Knapp Knapp

September 6, 2021 at 11:39 pm

I was working with an OEM that had plans to place our prime-rated 125kW propane generator running liquid propane on electric or LG-powered tow trucks. A patent is pending. The main usage was charging dead electric service vehicles and not personal cars.

• Christine Maslak

October 4, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Where would you get body shell replacement parts, in case of fender benders or backing into something? Could you get the body shell repaired at any body shop?

• Ray Holan

October 4, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Appreciate your question, Christine. If the Aptera body were just fiberglas, any shop that does Corvette, boat hull, or motorcycle fairing repairs could do it. However, Aptera is a composite body that, as I understand it, is some sort of sandwich construction. That might be a stumbling block for a typical body shop. Hopefully, someone from the Aptera team can weigh in on your question.

• Alain Chuzel

October 6, 2021 at 7:52 am

Not to be pedantic but “composite” effectively means 2 or more materials. Very generally, Corvettes, boat hulls, or motorcycle fairing are composites too (fiber reinforced resins). Some of Aptera’s parts are likely just as simple but much of them are most certainly not. They have on the order of 4 materials (fiber, resin, foam and honeycomb core). Rather sophisticated.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 4, 2021 at 3:06 pm

A repair would typically consist of sanding/grinding out damaged material and replacing it with new material. This type of repair is common on boats and can be done at home with nothing more than an orbital sander, some nitrile gloves, and fiberglass. A good repair is stronger than the original structure in that area, but will add weight. This type of construction is very resistant to damage and won’t dent like your normal stamped steel or aluminum car. Front end body panels could be just replaced but irreparable damage to the vehicle safety shell would total the Aptera. In general it should survive crashes with less body damage than pretty much anything else on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqUTDCOGSs

• Ray Holan

October 5, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Hi, Peter. Just viewed the video posted on YouTube by Kristen Dirksen. During the sequence of her tour inside Aptera headquarters she was shown a sample of the body panel sandwich material. Looks like repairing it would involve a slightly different process than repairing a standard fiberglas fender panel. Probably still manageable though.

• Rich Garlick

October 4, 2021 at 3:16 pm

just dont rupture a cooling channel….bad day.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 6, 2021 at 7:36 am

Cooling channels are just in the belly pan as far as I know – so most crashes wouldn’t be anywhere close. If you damage the battery/belly pan – then yes, battery replacement.

If you drive a Tesla over a metal toolbox on the highway and damage the battery you have to replace it too.

• Ray Holan

October 6, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Came across this old Corvette in my supermarket’s parking lot. Clearly in need of some TLC . I noted how much thinner the fiberglass fender was in comparison to the sandwich construction of the Aptera’s body panels. I think it was a 70’s vintage Corvette.

• Fanfare 100

October 9, 2021 at 9:18 pm

“Everything from iPhones and McDonald’s ice cream machines to medical equipment is now designed to be unfixable by the average person. Here’s how the Right to Repair movement is hoping to fix that.”
    Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/UA7hZDfQDws

• Randy J

October 10, 2021 at 6:08 am

I’ve never seen this message before today, I’m in Canada:

Video unavailable

<yt-formatted-string>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.</yt-formatted-string>

• Ray Holan

October 10, 2021 at 7:06 am

Given that we’re not likely to see Aptera dealerships in the foreseeable future, the DIY repairability of the Aptera is a critical success factor.

• SonicMustang

October 13, 2021 at 1:29 am

I don’t watch that clown but the video is restricted in Canada because the television network wants it restricted. The uploader is the network. Check out Louis Rossman on YouTube. He owns a computer/smartphone repair business in NYC and has been fighting for right to repair.

• Keith Happ Happ

October 10, 2021 at 11:17 am

Taking in the shape of the hydraulic Lifts and the shape of the Aptera and that New York State Yearly Inspection & Gravity are both laws. I can’t help but picture the back of the Aptera dangling off of the lilts each year. I recently went to my local repair shop and they told me that their lifts will not support 3 wheeled vehicles. In their defense, they do not work on motorcycles (Slingshot) and there aren’t any 3 wheeled cars. Has anyone else looked into this? Should Aptera create a video showing us how the car will be placed on a lift so a mechanic can inspect the brakes or rotate the tires?

• Len Nowak

October 10, 2021 at 12:09 pm

As you know Aptera is registered as a motorcycle in most states, so does this yearly inspection apply to your question?

Aptera has only been using floor jacks at least in the background pictures and videos

They have mentioned designated lift points at the front arms and in that back wheel area, all which will be in a manual/ possibly even on info screen, at some point.

• kerbe2705

October 10, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Adding to what Len said, there’s no reason to assume Aptera won’t offer this very, very basic information! Remember that the three alpha prototypes are little more than “proof of concept” exercises – they’re merely physical representations of a design that – up until recently – has existed solely inside a computer: Noir, Sol and Luna are NOT the Aptera vehicle that will go on sale.

That said, people see an alpha with the windows rolled down and assume, A) the Aptera has no windows or B), the Aptera has no AC. They don’t see a windshield wiper so they assume that Aptera has no windshield wiper. What amazes me is that they also don’t see a kangaroo duct-taped to the roof of the Aptera and assume the vehicle won’t be available in Australia…

• Curtis Cibinel

October 23, 2021 at 10:46 am

The lower half of the window opens and the vehicle will have ac and a single front wiper (no lasers unfortunately ????)

• Paul Schultz

October 10, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Due to the contours of the Aptera body there is not the standard 4 lifting points that a typical car has. Using a 4 arm lift, if possible, would take some sort of special adapters. But, we still need to see what serviceable components require underbody access.

If the consideration is the use of a 4 wheel riser/lift. The type that tires rest on two parallel tracks then some sort of cross member that the rear wheel would rest on would be needed.

This could also be a method for transporting an Aptera on a standard car transport trailer which also has parallel tracks. For the issue of an auto transport trailer the rear wheel could rest in a cradle that has 2 wheels on each side. This would functionally make the Aptera rest on a 4-wheel system for these situations. These cradles could be circulated back-forth to the Aptera factory for re-use by the transport company.

Paul

• Arlen Bell

October 22, 2021 at 10:46 pm

From what I have found so far the width of Aptera’s front wheels is greater than the rails on garage lifts as well as those on car transporters.

• Paul Schultz

October 23, 2021 at 5:02 am

There are several models of 4-post lifts with a track width that can accommodate the Aptera 88 inch width. BendPak and Rotary are probably 2 of the biggest lift manufacturers and have specs for lifts that would handle the front wheel width. However, all repair shops may not have these lifts. And, the rear wheel would still need to be addressed. If Aptera provides 4 “frame” lift points then The vehicle could be lifted with a 4-arm lift… assuming the proper adapters are available to account for the uneven contours of the Aptera.

• Paul Schultz

October 23, 2021 at 9:10 am

I also just thought of wheel alignment racks which are not uncommon. Hunter is a major brand. These are drive-on racks that are used to do front wheel alignment. There are floor-based wheel alignment systems that could be used to do a front wheel alignment on the Aptera. But, again, this would require your shop having the proper set-up… and willingness to handle the Aptera.

• Joshua Rosen

October 10, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Will lifts be necessary to service an Aptera or is jacking up one wheel at a time sufficient? Are all serviceable components accessible from the top?

As for inspections, the MA bill that’s currently in the legislature that removes the helmet and Class M license requirements maintains the classification of autocyles as motorcycles for the purposes of inspection. I don’t know anything about the motorcycle inspection process aside from the fact that the fee is $15 vs $35 for cars. Obviously you don’t put motorcycles on a lift so there can’t be a requirement that the inspection involve one.

• Rob Spruijt

October 12, 2021 at 12:52 pm

I think Joshua is right: the construction is such that the underside doesn’t provide access to anything; it would be useless to put it on a lift. The rear wheel well is serviceable from the side.

• Joshua Rosen

October 10, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Right to repair is only tangentially related to DYI. Aptera will have to have a support strategy in order to sell their vehicles, most people don’t want to do their own repairs, I stopped even doing my own oil changes (back when that was a thing) 25 years ago. What Right to Repair is about is making the availability of parts and service information available so that someone besides the company itself can repair a device. For people who want to DIY right to repair makes their lives easier but more importantly it makes it possible for third parties, for example Electrified Garage in the case of EVs, to fix a vehicle with new factory parts and without having to reverse engineer the car. The two bogey men of the RTR movement are Apple and Tesla, both of which restrict the availability of parts to their own service people and provide no service manuals unless forced to by law. What’s not mentioned by the Right to Repair movement, because it would be impossible to legislate, is design for easy service. Take cell phones as a example. The battery is the one part of a phone that’s going to fail. Ten years ago all phones had replaceable batteries, all you had to do was slide the battery door open, no tools required, and drop in a new one. Then Apple started sealing the battery into the phone and everyone else followed. Now replacing the battery became a complex process, it was possible if you bought the right tools (I did it on my Nexus 5) but it wasn’t easy and there was a good chance that you would break something. To fix an iPhone you pretty much have to go to Apple. Google doesn’t care about the repair business, unlike Apple, so they farm out the job to third parties like uBreakifix. I had to replace the battery on my Pixel 4XL because it was swelling, I took it to uBreakifix and they did the job in a day. The repair was possible but it wasn’t easy like it was on my Galaxy Nexus so it was better left to someone who does it for a living.

This is a long way of saying that in addition to making information and parts available it would also be highly desirable if they could design it so that a competent garage, but one that doesn’t specialized in Aptera’s, could do most repairs without having a lot of experience.

• John Malcom

October 10, 2021 at 5:03 pm

I am without a doubt, auto repair DYI challenged. I will not attempt a repair on any of my vehicles to include the Aptera when I get one. However, many others have those talents and will do well doing so. Certainly making available parts (Hopefully at a reasonable price) and manuals to all that may need to use them to affect repairs is important to facilitate repair under right to repair or DYI repair. <font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”>Aptra goes a step father up stream. Aptera actively engineers simplicity and </font>reparability<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”> into the design of the production vehicles. This will also make it easier for automobile professionals to be </font>available<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”> and competent to repair Apterae </font>wherever<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”> they may be. </font>

<font face=”inherit”>Perhaps I would ask an additional thing of Aptera. At some point make training available to third parties (Either through </font>their<font face=”inherit”> traveling repair teams or some other method) on repairing the Aptera so that all, a</font>mateurs'<font face=”inherit”> and professionals alike, do not have to rely on the manuals alone. </font>

• George Hughes

November 18, 2021 at 11:46 am

In regard to RTR, the latest video on the topic mentions that Aptera is including a small tool kit with the car; the four or five tools needed to literally take the car apart.

If you look under the hood of say a Mach-E, you get the idea that an spider lives in the car as the tubes, wiring and all are enough to pronounce the car an example of planned obsolescence because of its needless complexity.

What Aptera’s build simplicity does is demystify the EV for those blessed to work on them. And some will find that simplicity, along with the copious manuals, parts catalogue and the like ultimately inspiring.

The point is people will make the Aptera a learning platform and an innovation platform. If successful in capturing the role of being the preferred innovation platform, the cool things that will accrue to the brand are stupendous, IMHO.

• Ray Holan

November 18, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Thanks, George. Given that we won’t enjoy an Aptera dealer network, RTR is critical. I’m excited about Aptera being part of a RTR paradigm shift and enthused about learning how to diagnose and repair what I reasonably can.

• Keith Happ Happ

October 12, 2021 at 1:01 pm

I would first like to thank you all for commenting on my post.

As I read them I thought if it registered as a Motorcycle or Auto Cycle then I should be going to Motorcycle Shops. I recently went to two in my area of Long Island NY and both are very interested in seeing the Aptera when I get it and both said they would definitely inspect it and if and when work needs to be done on it I can bring it to them.

If anyone reading this lives on Long Island NY just ask and i will post the names and addresses of these shops.

Keith

• Charles Kaneb

October 23, 2021 at 8:10 am

Feature request: three jacking points, and three jackstand placement points. That way owners can safely work on them in their garages. This is especially useful if ordinary 2-post lifts need adaptors.

• Anna Santos de Dios

October 29, 2021 at 9:21 am

I’ve been keeping an eye on Aptera for 10+ years, so this is an exciting time. When Aptera originally launched, vehicles were only available on the West coast because the service network was limited. Recently, I’ve seen discussions on concerns about insurance and financing and, though it looks like the new model will be available nationwide, I haven’t seen anything on where or how service will be available. Any insights?

Viewing 1 - 25 of 74 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now