weight and acceleration….

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions weight and acceleration….

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions weight and acceleration….

• weight and acceleration….

John Voules updated 1 week, 4 days ago 12 Members · 17 Posts
  • Elzo Stubbe

February 17, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Does anybody know on what battery version the acceleration is based. I assume it is on the biggest pack? And if so….could the lesser weight versions even be faster than 3,5(3 motors) seconds and 5 seconds(2 motors)? And how much faster would that be? This all based on what I saw on the latest drag race video with the Audi and the Tesla…..

• This discussion was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Elzo Stubbe. Reason: forgot a I
  • Joshua Rosen

February 17, 2022 at 2:39 pm

They haven’t built any big battery versions yet. Their production plan is to do 40KWh (give or take, the exact number is still up in the air) first, then the 25KWh version. The 60KWh and 100KWh battery versions will follow. According to the video they put up yesterday when they were answering ambassador questions they haven’t finalized the battery pack and it sounds like they haven’t quite finalized the battery supplier, thus the uncertainty about the exact pack size. Until they’ve built a production intent vehicle and actually tested it the published performance numbers should all be taken with a shaker full of salt. I don’t see how they can have real numbers for the range and acceleration until late summer, and that will be for the 40KWh battery. Real numbers for the 60KWh and 100KWh versions can’t possibly be available until sometime next year.

• Elzo Stubbe

February 17, 2022 at 2:44 pm

My thought was: the heavier the vehicle, the slower the acceleration… So second thought: how did they calculate the acceleration?

• Harry Parker

February 17, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Simple Physics and Newtons Law, F = ma, or Forcee = mass times acceleration.

Solving for acceleration we have a = F/m.

If you know the mass (they do) and the force (calculated from the known torque of their motors), they can calculate their acceleration. (Easy peasy.)

I read that Chris Anthony stated those accelerations apply to their heaviest 100 KWH battery Aptera. The others should be faster, as long as the tires don’t slip.

• Llewellyn Evans Evans

February 18, 2022 at 1:29 am

Ignore me please …. question is answered below.

• Ricky Camacho

February 17, 2022 at 4:04 pm

I asked the same questions on one of the webinars, they said that the 25kw battery should be faster like a 3.1 sec but that they can’t know for sure yet. cross fingers!!

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    February 17, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Hi Elzo! Thank you for this question. We are still testing to establish more accurate numbers all around to see exactly how the weight affects acceleration. But what I can tell you is: The time it takes to get from 0-60 mph will increase as your battery pack size goes up. We expect .2 – .4 of a second difference between the times from 25kWh to 100kWh packs.

• GLENN ZAJIC

February 17, 2022 at 7:53 pm

So nice to finally see Aptera active in these forums!! Welcome aboard!!

• kerbe2705

February 17, 2022 at 7:54 pm

@Kayleigh Venne Terrific information! Could it be added to the FAQ on Google Drive?

• Riley ________________________________

February 18, 2022 at 6:42 am

a potential 3.1 second 0-60 on the fastest specked version is amazing. I wonder what kind of crazy numbers a rear dully would provide, sub 2.9 second quad motor aptera.

• Elzo Stubbe

February 19, 2022 at 9:39 am

Yes quite nice to get official answers!! And what I thought was true….

• Lambertus Jacobus Hendriks Hendriks

February 20, 2022 at 11:16 pm

I want to throw another spanner into the works …

As far as I can see in videos shown how the range of the #APTERA can be extended when you turn certain functions on of off or the range can be diminished on how you accelerate (Driving behaviour) everything is calculated based upon the weight of the #APTERA.

I think they should put 3 small load cells at the points where the vehicle body load onto the 3 wheels. This way they can accurately adjust the range as the #APTERA gets loaded with different weight people with or without the passenger and if the boot is empty or loaded to the brim.

I think all these points mentioned will all have an effect on the driving range of the #APTERA.

• John Wiley

June 20, 2022 at 6:58 am

A question for those who have driven an EV: will the accelerating torque be the same at 70 mph as it is at 5 mph.? Another way to ask: is the accelerating torque the same at all speeds? “Accelerating torque” – please forgive me if this is an inaccurate way to identify what I’m asking. Hope it is clear. Correct me if there is a better way to ask this question.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  John Wiley.
    • Joshua Rosen

June 20, 2022 at 8:58 am

Pretty much, electric motors have a fairly flat torque curve.

• John Voules

June 20, 2022 at 9:05 am

I can own both an electric car and electric motorcycle. I guess for me the best way to describe. Torque will always be at hundred percent available…almost instantaneously, your motors though have their limits, just like any combustion engine. My i3 is extremely fast off the line but eventually looses it’s initial gain as the electric motor reaches its capacity. No different riding my Zero srf bike (although much more thrilling). An example, Roll-on numbers reflect from 40–60 in 1.2 seconds and 60–80 in only 1.7 seconds. I am expecting similar numbers from the Aptera…both are advertised at 0-60 at 3.5 seconds…Aptera using 3 motors. Hope this was helpful.

• John Wiley

June 20, 2022 at 10:43 am

Very helpful. Thanks. So, I’m concluding that I will experience a slight roll-off in acceleration at faster speeds, but should continue to accelerate at higher speeds way better than your average ice vehicle.

• John Voules

June 20, 2022 at 11:46 am

More so than you think. When I am next to someone stopped at a light and I know I want to pass them. Acceleration from a stop is awesome. You will find that the ice car driver next to you will be caught off guard…generally we try and listen to the car next to you….no ice engine sounds to give them warning…just quite servitude.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now