Break out your sharpie…

• Eric Caldwell

August 14, 2022 at 11:10 am

The cat lovers are *really* digging it, though. 😉

• Joshua Rosen

August 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm

Don’t change a thing, the yoke looks great

Hopper

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Joshua Rosen.
    • John Malcom

August 14, 2022 at 4:45 pm

👍
      👍 like it!

• Lane Costilow

August 14, 2022 at 4:36 pm

I like cats, but I don’t like the dopey look of the yoke. It needs the horn buds cut off and to be colored or wrapped.

• John Malcom

August 14, 2022 at 4:44 pm

The “Eyes” Are not horn buttons, they are for scrolling through menus. It will not change so get accustomed to the look. You can change out under right to repair after delivery.

• Lane Costilow

August 14, 2022 at 4:47 pm

I’m not talking of the “eye” buttons but of the protruding knobs at the top of each side.

• Kyle Wolff

August 14, 2022 at 5:23 pm

I think it looks a bit like an axolotl, and I’m fine with that.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 15, 2022 at 9:24 am

I thought this was going to be a dig at drive the lightnings (great brand ambassador youtube channel); they shamelessly love including cats in their videos.

PS: Yoke looks super functional just concerned about how the while will look in a few years.

https://youtu.be/Gq1KE3iA2AY?t=174

• M T

August 16, 2022 at 5:00 am

The “Hello Kitty/Nintendo” yoke takes away from what is a very serious engineering milestone car. I am still hoping to see a squished wheel in the final version, at the very least an all black yoke that looks less juvenile.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 16, 2022 at 5:33 am

Use GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified pigments to colour an epoxy coating for Piñatex. In essence you paint it with a flexible hardened epoxy. Since Piñatex is already hardened epoxy, changing the colour after the fact is impossible(tm) except by adding covering. Covering it of course carries the need to refinish it from time to time.

‘British Autowood’ in Central Florida is an expert in refinishing epoxy. I have used them to do an entire dashboard and can vouch for the quality of his work.

• Sam Adams

August 17, 2022 at 1:54 am
  • duane voth

August 15, 2022 at 11:26 pm

%95 of my long range driving (even in town) is with one hand on the top of the wheel (?) … a HALF yoke is definitely not an option … sorry. 😞

• John Malcom

August 16, 2022 at 7:38 am

Is it more rational to give up the efficiency benefits of an Aptera or adjust driving style to accommodate the yoke and get those benefits for many years?

• Gary Greenway

August 16, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Neither. Like you said before – change the wheel.

• John Malcom

August 16, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Yes, something you can do after delivery if a suitable steering device is available

• John Voules

August 16, 2022 at 7:47 am

Having only one hand on the wheel is truly not the safest way to travel, weather it’s a yoke or a full wheel. Looking at the yoke’s flattened top though, maybe you can rest your arm on its center.

• Russell Fauver

August 16, 2022 at 8:12 am

Top of the wheel for me too. Although my steering wheels usually show the most wear at about the 10-11 o’clock position. I’ll either get used to the yoke or I’ll replace it with something different. Not going to sacrifice the entire vehicle over the steering device.

• Joshua Rosen

August 16, 2022 at 9:58 am

That’s unsafe. When airbags were introduced the recommended grip position changed from 10 & 2 to 8 & 4. If your hands are holding the top of the wheel when an airbag goes off your arms will punch you in the face, if your hands are on the lower part of the wheel your hands will be pushed to the sides instead of into your face.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 16, 2022 at 10:27 am

My bad habit is driving from one hand at 6 with my left hand. Picked up this from driving stop and go with a standard. Yokes will generally encourage driving with better technique.

• Dennis Swaney

August 16, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Mine was 10 & 2 until airbags, then it became 9 & 3. For sharp turns, I was trained to pull down with the turn direction hand while having the off hand lightly grasping the wheel at the 12 position.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now