What can the Solar panels be used for when the battery is fully charged?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What can the Solar panels be used for when the battery is fully charged?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What can the Solar panels be used for when the battery is fully charged?

  • What can the Solar panels be used for when the battery is fully charged?

  • Jeoffrey wolens

    Member
    August 20, 2022 at 4:42 pm

    Curious as to what can be done when the battery is fully charged? Can you use the Aptera battery to charge other devices or be used to power appliances? I know some EVs have this functionality (use battery to power other devices) but with the built in solar panels, it seems like some one has probably already thought of this scenario. I doubt that enough power is generated to make it worth sending the extra power generated to the grid, but that would be cool.

  • Kirk Robbins

    Member
    August 21, 2022 at 1:34 pm

    At 80% state of charge there should be unused solar available for running or charging other devices from pure solar without effecting the remaining 20% of charging. My plan is to add 200w of solar anytime the car isn’t moving. The panels I use will take up almost no storage space and add only 3 or 4 pounds.

  • Russell Fauver

    Member
    August 22, 2022 at 3:21 am

    If there’s a power outlet in the car you could draw from that. Keep the power draw below what the panels generate and you should be golden.

    • Bob Kirchner

      Member
      August 22, 2022 at 4:38 am

      I figure if the battery ever gets above 90%, I’ll plug the garage freezer into the Aptera for a day or two.

    • Jeoffrey wolens

      Member
      August 22, 2022 at 6:56 am

      That is what I would hope / expect. But it would also depend on the outlet and how much power they allow from that circuit before tripping the fuse. Refrigerators draw a lot of power when the compressor kicks on.

  • Andrew McKeown-Henshall

    Member
    August 22, 2022 at 5:44 am

    Presumably a good use would be pre-conditioning the interior / battery?

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now