What gizmo might you use with your Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What gizmo might you use with your Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What gizmo might you use with your Aptera?

• What gizmo might you use with your Aptera?

George Hughes updated 8 months ago 12 Members · 24 Posts
  • Len Nowak Nowak

August 25, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Be mindful of weight and size….For maximum enjoyment????

I am sun sensitive so….

This might be a nice complement to Aptera’a camping kit ( tent ) .. if it it does not interfere with fastening and the hatch could support???

This packs into a carry storage bag….

• Steven G. Bueche

August 25, 2021 at 4:51 pm

I’m not sure of the height of the rear latch but if it’s too high I’d add a step ladder for climbing in to retrieve my cargo. I’m 5’7″and some things can be a challenge on my old back.

• Gabriel Kemeny

August 25, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Take a look at the Sol debut video – there’s a section in that which shows a woman about your height placing a picnic basket in the rear hatch- that should give a good idea of the height and effort to place items there.

• Len Nowak Nowak

August 25, 2021 at 6:35 pm

I saw Sol in person and the seats angle forward nicely of that angle to get to some cargo items helps too???

If this pet step rendering looks anything like this (attached) in reality…it may be built only for a pet???

Beta will drop the cargo bed down slightly for more head room, the6 say….

• Len Nowak Nowak

August 25, 2021 at 6:40 pm

We don’t know the details yet on the hitch but this could be sweet, whether camping of sports tailgating etc…

• Joel Smith

August 25, 2021 at 7:03 pm

I’m not sure how well I will like having all of the traditional dashboard indicators off to the side. If I do find the arrangement troubling, I already have an option in hand. Thanks to an intermittently dysfunctional speedometer on an old car that I have, I have already got an app on my smartphone that reads out my speed and a few other bits of useful data in big, friendly numerals. I will just put a mount for my phone forward of the steering wheel, call up the app, and carry on smartly.

• John Malcom

August 25, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Perhaps a small HUD. I have one I use for my Tesla Model 3 for some key indicators I like in front of me. Device holds a mirror for a cell phone that reverses the image so that it is right side up on the windshield.

• Len Nowak Nowak

August 26, 2021 at 2:38 pm

For my fellow readers who had shown anxiety about visibility of the front wheel widths and door swing into traffic “at night”… See some sample off the shelf auto safety gizmos

Lasers are powerful and come with warnings.

We haven’t seen the front arm aero covers yet for the present Aptera, which might offer other possibilities preserving the aerodynamic design while being light weight.

For those who do not have a garage and need to park outside at night, near grasses, natural areas, city, etc,….where rodents may be… down lighting / motion activated strobe lighting may have another merit to deter them. I have met too many ICE owners who have their wiring chewed in some of those environments. (I have garaged my vehicles for fifty years with no issues… but hear their cries)

• Titus Meusel

September 2, 2021 at 1:04 pm

When I first saw that scribble of a future dog kit and pics with dogs boarding the rear of the Aptera over a wobbly footstep, I felt like I want to add my thoughts – and as a designer I made some drawings too … hope you like them.

My Labrador very often joins me in my small Peugeot 206 Convertible. I removed the original tiny rear seating and replaced it with a more roomy flat soft floor. Actually it now has a very similar layout like the Aptera. Only difference (apart from not being a super car) is the more egg shaped door cutout on the Aptera.

My dog generally has no problem climbing the car through the front doors. I am not sure … on the Aptera, a dog probably has a problem placing its paw on the more curved door frame. Thats why I thought of a single plastic step attached to the frame. However I think front door entering for your dog would be more practical over the course of day.

Then, to have a safe journey, I think we need two dividers. One to the front seats and one to separate luggage from the dogs cabin. Plus a buckle to leash the dog. It would be fab if the engineers think of adding some connection points on the cargo bed to fix dividers or later third party solutions.

Now in my idea I felt like such a divider could double as a foldable sleeping mat or even a solar mat when cells can be attached to the back.

And I couldn´t help it and made one more fancy drawing of a camping kit, where the tent does not cover the whole car and hatch roof.

I take whatever Aptera comes up with though. I am excited about every update and the very good design so far. It overexeeded everything I thought of for a car …

• Ray Holan

October 25, 2021 at 5:50 am

Nice job on those drawings, Titus. Like your ideas.

• Lou Verner

October 25, 2021 at 7:18 am

Titus – I completely agree with you regarding greater practicality of having dog enter through passenger door since they immediately access area where they will ride and avoids issue of crossing over any other items already in rear area. My dog weighs 85 lbs and would definitely find it easier to enter through passenger door – hopefully seats go down flat enough (and hopefully can be moved to far forward position) to make that possible. Thank you for your creative ideas!

• Len Nowak Nowak

October 25, 2021 at 7:49 am

I have been in the Sol

Everyone knows their own dog’s agility….

I have an old girl… a 70#, ten year old Doberman.

The seat folds forward ( on this Alpha vehicle) and that is the way I would bring in my dog. A step up behind the seat to the cargo deck.

The Beta vehicle could feature a lowered cargo deck…I heard….from an old Aptera video. Even a shallow storage area under the deck . “For me” ????place for 1)Fix a tire leak can, and 2)my dog vehicle safety chest harness. I have not seen the actual Aptera divider nor the pet steps/ladder(?)

And maybe the Aptera hatch tent, which is “nice” and like a giant sock… collapses to what looks like a “nylon bag”… for camping adventures!

The very flexible tent slips on easy and tight with a large securing strap around the belly. Mesh sides for ventilation and design to allow the sun to shine through the top, should you choose Full Solar

I assume what I realized was what could be offered.

I hope that helps

• Lou Verner

October 25, 2021 at 8:10 am

Thanks for your added information, Leonard! I reviewed what was included in the Pet “Add On: divider, ladder, cover, bowls, restraint, etc and decided to take it off my order. Only important item on list for me would be divider netting – which would also be practical for non-pet purposes – so hoping such an item could eventually be offered separately through Aptera Store or marketplace. All that would require would be for Aptera to have two attachment points (hooks?) on either side of cargo deck behind seats. That would make sense to have on all models (similar to what is on my Prius) so someone could add Pet Add On (or divider) post purchase. Please pass along to Team!

• Scott Price

October 25, 2021 at 8:24 am

I agree, Lou. I would like the cargo divider as its own separate option, as well. The rest is just extra stuff that many pet owners may already have, and the pet kit is not as widely applicable to broader scenarios as a cargo divider by itself. It would be great if Aptera offered just the divider as an optional purchase item, as you suggest.

• Lou Verner

October 25, 2021 at 8:32 am

Scott – maybe we’ve started a Movement: What “Divides” Unites Us! Also occurred to me that the whole ladder thing is kinda stupid to begin with – who’s going to want to haul that around whenever you travel with your dog – in my case (and I’m betting with most dog owners) – most always. I’m guessing Pet Kit thought of by non-dog owner!

• Len Nowak Nowak

October 25, 2021 at 9:50 am

I am not an Aptera employee

Just enjoy reading the forum

I see team members read though…

For “pressing question” their website’s Contact Us list is best

I ordered everything until I can “touch and feel” things

No commitment until order time!

Some people just like OEM stuff.

IMHO… I believe the Aptera”will be a collectable model , and will leave to my kids

There will be plenty of Apterae on the road before mine…to finalize my production choices!

• Lou Verner

October 25, 2021 at 10:00 am

Sorry Leonard, I see “Moderator” next to your name and made false assumption. Stand corrected!

• Len Nowak Nowak

October 25, 2021 at 10:36 am

No worries. Many think the same.

I have been following Aptera since “I had dark colored hair”, all white now… to match my SOL????

Fun ahead!

• Titus Meusel

October 25, 2021 at 10:24 am

Thanks and cool to get some feedback – it just felt natural to me that my Labrador enters through the passenger door. I am used to with my old Peugeot and she does not have a problem with even the smallest step to climb in. I took the pet and tent kit off my preorder for now until I see a more thought through version. Already thinking of designing my own solution. That’s where some attachment points come in wich would be essential to fix a later divider solution as in the middle of the cargo bed. I am still divided about the full solar hatch as well. Living in northern Germany full solar could gather a bit more juice; on the other hand I fancy the see through hatch more for comfort and watching the stars on that one night out. So I plead for the option to connect a mobile solar panel you could put over the cargo or place external when camping. I am in in “What Divides Unites us” 😉

• Steve Hartman

October 25, 2021 at 5:27 am

An awning option would be especially nice if it had sides and a floor, then sleeping quarters could be in the back of the Aptera.

• Arthur Robertson

November 1, 2021 at 9:07 am

I wish I could see how my lab and papion could fit in the back. I take them everywhere. Is there a way to get some photos of this going down the road? any feedback would be great.

• Len Nowak Nowak

November 1, 2021 at 9:24 am

There were pictures( Video?) of a GoldenDoodle on the back although the hatch was open!

Owned many Dobermans and they all fit in my past coupes which had similar space. Aptera has 25cu ft back there and they said they will deepen the cargo area with the Beta

You can google the Podcaster Kirsten Dirksen and here podcast with Aptera

In one trip a person appears tovbe lying on the cargo floor?

• Lou Verner

November 1, 2021 at 10:44 am

25 cu ft not as much an issue as is room immediately behind seats. Given rapid drop-off of floor to hatch height as one goes towards back, any large dog will be restricted to just behind seats. I need to know my 85 lb sheepadoodle will be comfortable riding in that space :).

That said, here’s another idea that might prove beneficial for all sorts of reasons: have passenger seat have ability to fold down completely (or nearly so) flat. That would provide alternative space for dog to ride with maximum headroom and also allow for other long objects, or people, to be comfortably accommodated, such as 8’ long dimensional lumber.

• George Hughes

November 1, 2021 at 4:40 pm

The ‘gizmo’ I want is the gizmo that makes this work with a second Aptera or other ‘trailer’.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133124_towing-with-an-ev-are-electric-trailers-the-future

The point is that Aptera ought to not only pull a trailer configured to follow but also adopt a follow mode as well.

By making the Aptera ‘pullable’ in the ‘follow me’ powered mode like the trailer, you’ve eased even more the power demands for every RV out there meaning Aptera will be their EV.

Given two Apterea can go from point A to point B and back at less expenditure of energy than any four-seat EV loaded with four persons, the same tech and make one Aptera a master and the other a slave. The belief is that if you can hitch two Aptera together, you can hitch three, four or five. Hell, this makes transport of the Aptera in a two+ Apterea car-trains and you got mobile marketing with 5-G connectivity.

Where’s your credit says the owner/investor that pulls a trailer-mode Aptera with a for-sale sign. While commerce interactions are predictable, this gizmo will bring social interactions and engagements to transportation and that is revolutionary.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now