What Moose Test. What about an Alligator Test

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News What Moose Test. What about an Alligator Test

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News What Moose Test. What about an Alligator Test

• What Moose Test. What about an Alligator Test

• Jonah Jorgenson

March 27, 2022 at 12:52 pm

People in the south are pretty smug about moose testing since the probability of encountering a moose is negligible. They will want an alligator test since a man was killed when he hit an 11 foot alligator on a road in Florida

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/26/us/alligator-crash-florida-trnd/index.html

• Russell Fauver

March 27, 2022 at 2:42 pm

We’ll need a possum test here in South Carolina. I swear you can’t drive more than 5 miles without seeing one of those things squashed flat on the road.

• Francis Giroux

March 27, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Upstate New York, possum, skunk, ground hog, porcupine, squirrel, all being eaten by crows.

• V Pilot

March 27, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Lol, I can vouch fro that!

• George Hughes

March 27, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Good catch Jonah but the real danger in the traditional south and a lot of other places is not the moose or alligator … but the deer.

That said, while I’ve seen a few deer crossing the road in relatively close proximity in my nearly sixty-years of driving the backroads of the south and usually see five to ten deer carcasses each year – I’ve never personally splattered one… and I try to avoid all wildlife on the road as rule.

Unlike the moose, which is a regal figure of the forest which goes and stays at any location including your lane at its own pleasure; the deer is more flighty and seems a much more fearful beast than the hulking moose. Moose are more like bears in demeanor but, in their bailiwick, almost as numerous as deer.

The good news is that deer/car collisions while among the more dangerous encounters – stories of full animals leaping into a car through the windshield are lore – at 150 lbs their total embodied energy is a fraction of that of a moose which can top the scales at 1500 lbs.

BTW, the threat of the alligator to vehicular traffic is largely based on its mass – these low-riding beasts – they’d throw you airborne if hit at speed – weigh in at 750lbs.

• Jonah Jorgenson

March 28, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Hmmmm… a lot of anti animal testing needed it seems for all geo areas. I think I will add a cow catcher (Like the late 1800 locomotives had) to the list of deal breakers if it is not included in a base Aptera

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now