Earlier delivery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Earlier delivery?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Earlier delivery?

• Earlier delivery?

Alex L updated 5 months ago 11 Members · 19 Posts
  • Crissa Kentavr

July 3, 2022 at 12:21 am

We’ve been told in the announcements, not all options will be available at first… Some have longer development time, others have limits in the number that can be made.

So what options will be the soonest?

I know, it’s a year or more out, but… I would be wiling to take a less kitted out Aptera to get mine sooner. Everyone has their must-haves and nice-to-haves and don’t-wants.

For instance, I marked for the Safety Pilot and my spouse doesn’t really care about it. My spouse wants the larger battery, but I don’t particularly care – it’ll charge up pretty rapidly anyhow. But we’ve both agreed our must-have is the solar. And the tent, tho that won’t delay delivery, since it’s a later part.

Maybe the configurator could let us mark some options as merely aspirational? Or which options could be selected and added later? Because I’d be perfectly happy with a more limited car than I built in the configurator.

-Crissa

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Steven G. Bueche

July 3, 2022 at 4:21 am

You make some good points.

There are things Chris has stated that won’t make it out of the gate. Level 2 charging, Safety Pilot, Cooled Seats and so on. I’m a basic kind of guy. Give me the stripped on version without the bells and whistles. I don’t need the car to drive itself, off road, 0-60 time, 3 wheeled, largest battery or be a rolling office. Talk has it that some will switch to the 400 mile range for either getting it sooner or best bang for the buck. Tents can be order later. Off Road fenders can be ordered later. Pet straps can be ordered later.

You have to stick to the battery and solar out the gate because those can’t be changed once it’s sitting in the driveway.

I started with just the basic $26K car at first. But then changed to the full solar and 400 mile version. Not because I need it but because I want the option to absolutely never have to plug it in based on my current needs. Now maybe when I get it I’ll be traveling more for promotion reasons so the extra range will help.

Order based on current needs and get the frills later after they’ve had time to tweak things.

• Paul Schultz

July 3, 2022 at 5:28 am

…”There are things Chris has stated that won’t make it out of the gate. Level 2 charging, Safety Pilot, Cooled Seats and so on.”

I have never read that level 2 charging would not “make it out of the gate”. This is a core feature for an EV. Can you point to the reference?

• Steven G. Bueche

July 3, 2022 at 10:39 am

Sorry Paul, I may be incorrect about the level 2 charging. Maybe my old brain was thinking more along the lines of Level 2 autonomy (?) and I typed charging.

• kerbe2705

July 3, 2022 at 11:10 am

@Steven G. Bueche Yes, as Safety Pilot adds “Level 2” driver assistance, that appears to be the source of your confusion. All EVs have an onboard AC charger that accepts both “Level 1” (110/120 V AC) and “Level 2” (220/240 V AC power. SOME EVs do not support DC charging – or make it optional.

Just some of the many ways in which EVs are capable of confusing consumers… This alternative charging identification system offers a great deal of clarity but, so far, hasn’t gained much traction: https://www.chargeway.net/

• Dennis Swaney

July 3, 2022 at 11:37 am

Nothing like subliminal advertising.

Red is a universal negative color meaning stop, communism, danger, bad for the ecology, etc. so they assigned it to the Tesla charger.

Blue is better than red but not as good as eco-friendly “green technology”.

Green shows you care about the environment unlike those Blue and Red plug users. However they forgot that at the liquid fuel pump, green is used for Diesel nozzles, hoses, and pumps.

• Crissa Kentavr

July 3, 2022 at 1:28 pm

…Or it’s the Tesla color; the color of vitality, luck, and berries. No reason to get too deep in the weeds of worry ^-^

• Alex L

July 5, 2022 at 10:51 am

In the Q&A section of the June ambassador’s webinar near the end they discuss how there will be no level 2 offerings in the initial production runs. Heated seats are also not going to be available in the first run(s).

• Gabriel Kemeny

July 3, 2022 at 6:58 am

@Steven G. Bueche I assume both the hood and the hatch will be easily swappable between the solar and non-solar versions. The roof and dash solar – not so much.

• Steven G. Bueche

July 3, 2022 at 10:41 am

Would adding the hatch and hood later require some kind of software so the brainbox would manage it? I don’t know, this is above my pay grade. It would be nice though.

• Crissa Kentavr

July 3, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Each grouping should have its own micro controller, as they’re at slightly different angles to the sun. It’s much cheaper than it used to be to do that.

• kerbe2705

July 3, 2022 at 10:59 am

@Gabriel Kemeny This question was asked during a webinar and the response was that the solar hood and hatch could not be added at a later date and needed to be part of the initial build of the vehicle.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 3, 2022 at 5:36 am

Crissa, you’re leaving out two important pieces of information for any real answer to your question. When did you place your reservation? Where are you located? If you are one of say the first 3,000 you can probably make a significant change to your place in the production queue, provided you are in either Southern California, or say a 500 mile distance from San Diego (But in the United States.) Beyond that, you might be able to make a smaller change in wait time, if you’re in say, the first 10,000 reservations. Past that, it would seem likely that Aptera should be in full production and whatever you order shouldn’t really affect a wait time. (Provided Aptera doesn’t run into any problems with implementing any particular option.)

Also, I would expect (Or at least hope) that Aptera will reach out to each reservation holder as their place nears coming up, and let them know what the situation is, so you could adjust your request as wanted. (Aptera has stated that you can change your request at any time up to making your next deposit/finalizing you order.)

The date is more important than your order ID/Reservation number for many, as the system was reset in August of 2021 and many numbers do not reflect even an estimated position in the queue. It is to be hoped that Aptera will make some effort to let everyone know about where they actually stand at some point. (Currently they say to consider your date of reservation.)

• Dennis Swaney

July 3, 2022 at 8:52 am

OOH, I’m a measly 400 miles from Carlsbad here in Prescott, AZ!

• Crissa Kentavr

July 3, 2022 at 1:32 pm

I am somewhere ‘around’ 3000… as in, Chris announced reaching 3000 pre-orders the week after I ordered. And I live in Santa Cruz, so… under 500 miles.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 3, 2022 at 2:51 pm

So if we look at what Aptera has said about things (But unfortunately there is a lot that we don’t know, and I wouldn’t expect them to tell us a lot of this.)

400 mile version first out, with 1,000 of those before they move on to the next battery size. Aptera says 40% of the orders are 400 milers, of the first 3,000 than 1,200 of them are probably 400’s. I would think pretty likely some portion of these are international, and a significant portion are outside the Southwest U.S. Add into that cancellations for one reason or another.

Logically expansion from San Diego and SoCal. would probably next go to the rest of California (Bureaucratic requirements for sales in state vs out of state, etc.) CA (Chris Anthony) said the first 1,000 were 400’s but not that they would all be in SoCal, only that they would start there, with no clear amount before expanding.

If you are looking for a 400, you’re sitting pretty good, I would think it very likely you’re part of the first 1,000. If you want a different range, for you it might make sense to show your request as a 400, things happen, and they might not expand to NorCal first, when you get a call, you could check and see if your preferred range is available, if so change the request then.

You could leave off most if not all of the options in your reservation. (It’s stated AWD and Off Road will be later, but we don’t know how much.) When they contact you see what’s available and adjust you’re order as desired. Many of the options may be available later, as an add on that you might pay for then, and take as it becomes available. (Safety Pilot may be an OTA update.)

Hey, I’m in the first 100 myself, and I am considering some negotiations for what I really want, and possibly changing to a 400 to get it. I’ve been waiting for this car since 2008, and don’t plan on kicking the bucket before I get mine.

• Paul Kirchner

July 3, 2022 at 2:02 pm

For me and my spouse, assisted driving features are a must.

Both of us have watched our parent’s slow descent into decreased functioning of all the skills and understand it’s inevitable at some level for us as well. Since, we as a civilization now have the technology to make us safer on the road, why not insist upon it.

Reaction times slower, mental lapses, poor decisions as well as how bad other drivers can be all point to it being essential in our next vehicles

• Jonah Jorgenson

July 3, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Agree with you! I live in Florida where there are a lot of more senior drivers on the road with the ailments you identify. You are right, we will all get there eventually. It would be interesting to know how many accidents/fatalities lane keep assists, emergency breaking, pedestrian warning, etc. have prevented.

I would identify another group that needs this kind of help. Teenagers just learning to drive. Maybe more so that more senior people. I think until they get some experience they are the worst. At least insurance rates indicate so.

• George Foord

July 3, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Florida here as well and with a 100 mil round trip commute daily. Reserved a 400 with full panels. Seems that would work out well as the car can be 100% in the open air for sun every day. I can also plug in at work if need be, 120vac though.

I am very excited as I could not justify a hybrid as one still pays for gas. I am not gas hater by any means either, but have wanted a solar since I was a kid.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now