What size surfboard can fit in the trunk?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What size surfboard can fit in the trunk?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What size surfboard can fit in the trunk?

• What size surfboard can fit in the trunk?

• Michael Solorio

January 25, 2022 at 6:37 pm

I found that it was noted already that the distance from the back edge to the seats is seven feet. This being the case, what size surfboard do you think could fit in the Aptera with the passenger seat forward and the trunk closed?

• EVservices .us

January 26, 2022 at 4:16 am

That seven-foot distance might be with the seat somewhat forward – if you plan to have someone sit in the passenger seat, I wouldn’t count on fitting anything much longer than about 6+ feet. You might gain a bit more if you put it in at an angle – none of this can be confirmed until someone tries it in a production vehicle.

• Eddy Moore

February 6, 2022 at 12:03 pm

It would be really nice to get an 8 foot surfboard in as that is kind of a standard size—maybe with front seat laying back (works in my volt)?

• John Malcom

February 6, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Eddy,

I don’t know if you are a CA or FL surfer, or somewhere else. My eldest daughter is an avid surfer in FL. She intends to buy an Aptera as she is very environmentally conscious. She says her surfboard will not fit. Her plan is to remove the passenger seat which she claims she will not use and it will fit with plenty of room to spare.

Of course you can always saw off what doesn’t fit😉

• Curtis Cibinel

February 6, 2022 at 1:59 pm

Really hoping to see the lightweight tow option (talked about in FAQ) so that bike carriers or light utility trailers can be added for kayaks/paddleboards/surfboards. Obviously it will impact drag and only be good for a few hundred pounds but that is enough for most unpowered watercraft or a few mountain bikes. In my case I would rarely be transporting these more than 5-10 miles.

I have no idea how they would be planning to attach it but my best guess would be some bolts to the underside of the vehicle that forms a V around the rear wheel housing with 2 bolts per side and drops a seam down just behind the rear wheel cover. They could potentially extend the bolts directly into the area under the rear storage floor. To be viable I would think they would need to have some rough idea and rough of this in the molds.

• Jesse Palmer

February 7, 2022 at 2:21 pm

This has been the one thing I have been wondering as well. What I’d love to see is a short video of them trying to fit a surfboard, or better yet, several surfboards, a bike, and any other types of adventure gear in the back. I am fairly confident it will fit a few shortboards, around 6 ft. I would be delighted if I could also fit a longboard in there, around 9ft, by putting the front seat flat or folding it forward. Currently, I can fit a 9′ longboard in my Honda fit by laying the passenger seat flat and going up to the windshield.

• Scott Price

February 7, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Hi Jesse, a video that showed easily putting a bike in the back of an Aptera can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mJRSNOeTs.

• Lou Verner

February 9, 2022 at 5:51 am

While I don’t have a surfboard of any length, I too would hope that the Aptera passenger seat can be folded down flat to allow for transporting items longer than the 6’ bed.

• Michael Solorio

April 24, 2022 at 6:58 pm

I just got to see the Noir alpha prototype in-person today at the Earth Fair here in San Diego. I’ll first say it is even more beautiful and striking in-person and really looking forward to seeing the production models.

I didn’t bring my measuring tape, however, I would say with the passenger seat folded down you could get an 8′ surfboard in there easily. Of course, the production vehicle may be completely different, yes we know this. However, Chris Anthony did mention in a video posted this month that it could fit a 7’6 surfboard and from my experience today I’m assuming he meant while carrying another passenger with the seat slid forward. He also mentioned you can fit 2 mountain bikes and even a canoe.

• Danny Mattijetz

April 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I saw it there today also. Remember, it will be four additional inches deeper and either four or six inches longer. Even though I remember seeing this video, it looked awfully shallow near the back. It was clearly a close fit for that bicycle, but the extra inches should make a big difference.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 1:05 am

The bike video was with the alpha (before changes). I think Steve from Aptera owners club claimed we have like 7 feet behind the seats. The weight at the far back will be shallow but definitely enough for a board or your head camping (if you’re not claustrophobic)

• Richard Hine

April 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Similar question, How about a 9ft fly rod? Can I drive/fish the river without breaking down my fly rod?

• Danny Mattijetz

April 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Assuming Curtis is correct about seven feet behind the seats, you should be able to fold the passenger seat forward to fit a nine foot rod in there without any trouble. If you had a passenger with you, you could probably put the rods between the seats even with the passenger seat up.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now