Wheel, Yoke, or Stick?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Wheel, Yoke, or Stick?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Wheel, Yoke, or Stick?

• Wheel, Yoke, or Stick?

Sam Adams updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago 100 Members · 342 Posts
  • John Trotter

August 29, 2021 at 6:00 pm

What are the thoughts about steering: wheel, yoke, or stick? The current format is a squashed square wheel, which seem functionally not far from the new Tesla yoke, except the Aptera still has stalks. Ideally, designers could get real-world feedback from Tesla owners who actually have the stalkless yoke and see if the simple elegance is in fact a good idea. (Non-users, like myself, would have no vote.) In theory, it is a simplification and, as such, would fit the Aptera design ethos.

Beyond that, however, it seems to me that torque vectoring requires a degree of drive-by-wire and that in turn should allow stick control, a la jet fighters. This would provide even more forward crash space. It would also allow the big screen to move toward the driver a bit.

The stalkless yoke would probably be too big a change for the first edition, but who knows? Obviously, stick-control is only a distant option, but this group might want to discuss.

• Joshua Rosen

August 29, 2021 at 6:57 pm

Tesla’s yoke and stalkless control is a dreadful idea. I have the Model 3, the windshield wipers have to be controlled from the screen or via voice, that was a mistake on Tesla’s part, you can get one swipe from the button on one of the stalks but you can’t turn them on and off that way, if the autowipers worked perfectly it wouldn’t matter but that function doesn’t work very well. You should be able to do all of the important functions from the steering wheel via touch without having to look away from the road. Tesla also put capacitive buttons on the yoke, another bad idea. You should be able to do everything without looking and know that you’ve engaged the function purely by feel. The gear shift should also be a stalk in the wheel, Tesla got this right on the 3 but not on the new S. I had a Volt before the Tesla, they put the shifter in the center console instead of on the wheel, they wanted it to look like a four on the floor manual. But EVs don’t have transmissions let alone manuals, wasting space in the center is idiotic. The Volt’s shifter was also unreliable, I had to have mine replaced, it was done under warranty but something as simple as the forward and reverse controls in an EV should never fail.

• John Malcom

August 29, 2021 at 8:33 pm

I think, in all cases regarding user interface engineering, we need a reasonable size sample of Aptera driver experience to get a “Majority” perspective on what is good and what needs to change in the next iteration of the Aptera should it be another three wheel or a four wheel version. That won’t come for a while.

At any rate, theses discussions are moot as the engineering is complete on Beta (Now need to build and test) and we will see only small adjustments from now through to Delta.

At any rate, I personally am overjoyed to get an Aptera as currently configured which in my view, is bleeding edge progress in the EV world.

• Bob Kirchner

August 30, 2021 at 3:56 pm

In the absence of some proven, consequential advantage, I’d prefer to stick to traditional controls. Especially, I think purely drive by wire controls with no physical link should be avoided.

• Hans Roes

October 20, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Drive by wire in itself is not an issue, when done right. It saves on complexity, weight and cost. Other than that, I would indeed prefer a wheel over anything else with the more traditional controls for thins like lights, wipers, …

• rich garlick

August 30, 2021 at 5:18 pm

build it and they will come….

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 30, 2021 at 6:29 pm

old forum had thread about steering wheel alternative, one of them was arm actuated levers mechanically connected to wheels (or maybe just fighter pilot video game joytsick), with existing motor torque vectoring held like joystick and maybe with air pressure torque multiplication.

as jhon said, this was for that benefit to allow more space for airbag to de compress with body pushing against it toward dashboard to allow more cushioning,

but it also to can allow ones arms to be rested on height adjustable arm rests instead of holding them up constantly on long drives vs normal wheel, and to allow dashboard (of normal car) to be closer to windshield field of view so it takes less time to change focus between display and windshield, and to allow more compact space toward front of cabin vs the middle part for sharper thus more font aerodynamic front end and less weight (similar to airel atom 4). also how about if the middle screen is not as big of a square and rather its a half size rectangle and the other half can exist at a dashboard more in line of sight of driver to make it quicker to change focus from looking at the outside to dashboard and back onto road, although phone app with optional USB mic attachment for voice command concepts from old forum are better at least for budget purpose oriented customer (which is i bet is most people and increasingly so as things generally become more expensive).

f steering wheel proves still better somehow and if max size driver ends up having knees near steering wheel in future cars, steering wheel can be smaller and removable like a ariel atom to allow person to get in and out easier or else driver would have to compact his first leg going in against his stomach or get it over the steering wheel. if aptera gets narrower then it would be more of a sporty car and in that case it becomes more sensible to have 3 spoke circle steering wheel that allows hands and thumbs to grip around it.

• Ray Holan

October 17, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I had a three-wheeled EV called the Gizmo. It was made in Eugene OR, same city as the Arcimoto is made now. The Gizmo had twin levers for steering. Took a good deal of effort to get used to. I had this vehicle for about 2 years. In retrospect, I’d vote for traditional steering wheel.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 19, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Beauty of drive by wire systems is the entire wheel could be module swapped to your preference. I personally like signals and wipers on stocks but am fine with reshaping it.

October 20, 2021 at 1:59 pm

with the air pressure or direct mechanical lever steering, steering is done by pushing forward left lever and backward right lever to go left, and other way around. the left right right electric joystick you mentioned seems like it dint give enough mechanical resistance to moving the stick, so it required very careful hands to not make steering movement too sudden, which is big stress to satisfaction ratio.

low stress to satisfaction ratio means the task is more enjoyable, but a more equal ratio is what maybe more desirable if you arnt tired ex. lot of physical stress in football, yet it can be lot more fun than eating pizza. if you too stressed b/c you got considerably hurt playing, you probably wouldnt enjoy it. this is why driving manual in a light weight, minimal power steering car is more fun even though you could go just as fast without it all, but if your sleepy or lazy itll be annoying.

• John Schwartz

September 6, 2021 at 11:55 am

It must be a steering wheel and it must be round, for me. Must work with gloves, ie: no silly capacitive buttons on wheel. Lots of people live in cold climates and wear gloves while driving. Capacitive buttons and touch screens are useless in this environment. Yes, there are driving gloves with capacitive friendly finger pads. I have them. They barely work, but mostly not. I have a vehicle with a heated steering wheel. It’s nice, but does not mitigate the need to wear gloves.

Since Tesla came out with the yoke option, I started to keep track of where I actually hold the steering wheel while driving. 60% of the time I hold it at about 7:00, and 40% of the time I hold it at 1:30 during normal driving. I usually drive with one hand on the wheel because I find it to be far more stable in straight sections and easier to manage most winding roads. In tight turns, the wheel of course goes ‘round, and you may need to grip it anywhere. In all of these cases a yoke or squared off wheel is useless as a driving control as it is not physically present where it needs to be. The people who I see driving holding the wheel at 9-3 scare me because they are generally all over their lane as they can’t hold the vehicle stable in that configuration. 10-2 is slightly better, but it’s very tiring for any substantial duration of driving. Most, not all by any means, but most seasoned drivers I see on the road, do not use 9-3 or 10-2 positions, likely for these reasons.

I fail to see why anyone would want any kind of a stick to control a vehicle that can move in only two dimensions. Yes, they are available for people who cannot use their legs to operate pedals, but they are slow and cumbersome compared to traditional controls. They are more optimal for an aircraft which must be controlled in three dimensions. The same can be said of yokes. They work in aircraft because they have auto pilot, so you don’t need to hold it straight for long periods, or how accurately you hold it straight is not particularly important, and the amount of left/right deflection you need is minimal.

• Joshua Rosen

September 6, 2021 at 3:11 pm

I hold my wheel at 8 and 4 which is both comfortable and the modern recommended positions, 8 and 4 are just stumps on Tesla’s yoke. So are the old locations, 10 and 2 which were recommended in my youth, that was before airbags. When they put in airbags they moved the position to 8 and 4 so that your arms don’t get blasted by the airbag if it goes off.

It should be noted that the first thing Randy Pobst and Blake Fuller did when they prepared their Plaids to climb Pikes Peak and Mount Washington respectively was to replace the Plaid’s yoke with a Model 3 wheel. They both regarded the yoke as dangerous, Fuller refers to it as the Joke steering wheel.

• kerbe2705

September 6, 2021 at 3:18 pm

The shoe button was the PERFECT method for holding shoes on the foot and it worked for CENTURIES! There was NO REASON to ever give up button shoes! Entire generations of families worked in the shoe-button-making industry AND in the buttonhook making industry and there was absolutely no reason to take away their livelihoods!

And what for? The SHOELACE! Has there ever been a more STUPID and USELESS and POINTLESS invention? NEVER! They break. They untie. They can be used to STRANGLE and MAIM! Countless people have DIED from tripping over an untied shoelace and WHY? Because some designer decided we needed to change away from the tried and true shoe button.

• Riley …

October 20, 2021 at 12:59 am

I prefer crocks personally, Shoelaces allowed for a mass produced shoe that doesn’t need to be tailor made for each individual. I understand your argument and any change in a society inevitably hurts someone but progress never stops.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

October 20, 2021 at 5:56 am

Well I’m taking my buggy whip and going home, Riley.

• John Malcom

March 5, 2022 at 6:11 am

I live in Florida. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to wear crocodiles on their feet???? 😜

• Hans Roes

October 20, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Change requires people to see an advantage. There’s a reason the shoelace won. And when something is really good, change can happen really fast. I don’t mind brands experimenting, but we don’t need change just for the change.

As people have already stated, some controls are just needed to keep your attention on the road. When you find yourself in rain and the wipers refuse to work, you don’t want to look away from an already less than ideal situation, you want to be able to fix it without looking away from the road.

A round steering wheel means you can grip it at any angle with the same level of effort. No matter how far you rotate it, you can always find a decent grip. With a yoke, that becomes a different matter. So it comes with downsides, but what are the advantages? More legroom when you get in the car? There are solutions for that. Ask truck drivers for example on how they can fold their steering wheel up. Tesla introduced the electronically adjustable steering wheel. If you think it’s in the way when getting in/out the car, move it out of the way electronically.

• John Malcom

March 3, 2022 at 2:42 pm

This is great to get the point across about adjusting to and accepting change. I will use it my change management classes with engineering managers. Some of which I believe have been around long enough to have user shoe buttons

• Jesse Spears

October 21, 2021 at 9:48 am

Wheel, preferably roundish (the rounded rectangle is probably acceptable, but I’ve never driven with a non-round wheel before).

I do NOT want drive by wire. Having driven cars that cut power while driving*, if they had used drive by wire, I would have wrecked them.

* I’ve had this happen in 3 different cars over my lifetime. One was a bad fuel system (happened when turning sometimes, but it was my first car and it was better than not having a car ;). The other 2 were cars that had electrical problems (one off problems, but they lost power while driving).

• John Malcom

March 3, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Then you probably should look for another vehicle since Aptera will be a “Drive by wire” implementation. Steering will be achieved by adjusting the torque of the wheel motors not by a physical connection between a steering column and the wheels. Steering will be managed my the programming in the motor controllers for each of the front wheels. All electronic, but very reliable with suitable backups for failures to insure safety.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

March 3, 2022 at 3:21 pm

I think you’re taking quite a leap there John. As far as I recall, main steering is done in the traditional manner. Torque vectoring will likely be used as an aid or in place of full power steering (Which has been promised for the vehicle.) Electronic steering and torque vectoring will also be part of autonomous driving aspects IIRC.

• John Malcom

March 3, 2022 at 5:41 pm

OZ. I stand corrected.

• John Malcom

March 5, 2022 at 6:06 am

Let me clarify my brief previous response. OZ, being his typical tactful self, did not call me out with rigor for my incorrect statement. Aptera will have electric power steering (I knew this but I guess dementia is setting in) augmented with torque vectoring for stability. So Jesse, I am not sure if electric power steering is non starter for you. I know the Aptera engineers will design it so that it is safe and reliable and will test to insure it won’t cause a problem if the primary solution fails. If it is any consolation, the Aptera is very light and can be steered manually not like my behemoth Model 3.

March 3, 2022 at 1:46 pm

steering wheel should be removable and chained similar to race cars, to allow more compact less mass aerodynamic car while not making it hard to get in the car. chain keeps wheel attached to chassis so it doesn’t get lost or stolen b/c a guy decided to leave it out.

can make steering wheel removable with a cover to flip out in a way to prevent accidental release

in the design software, imagine rotating that surface area marked in red, around the axis marked by green. this would allow gripping the wheel without forcing as much space between fingers, allowing more comfortable grip. maybe have slightly curved surface of steering wheel and slightly grip friendly material, like a very firm cushion sort of thing so when you grip the wheel firmly you get grip, but if u let the wheel slide itll spin on its own isll do that too

• Leaver

March 3, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Stick steering would be wonderful. After building a couple of boats with stick steering, I will never go back to a wheel. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a chance in heck to get the masses to see the advantages. But once you try it, you’ll wonder why we ever settled on a wheel.

March 3, 2022 at 5:53 pm

if theres going o be button on steering wheel, have them recessed into the wheel so driver can feel they arnt accidently pressed (pic 1) and have them in the red zone at the edges, and apply it to both sides of wheel(the green visualizes change of the steering arm i explained in the post above this one in this thread). the red is the way it is because thumbs can move around that airspace when hands at sides of wheel, and if hands at lower parts of wheel, the thumb can stretch up to that pace. keep switches closer to center of wheel to allow the area where joint of thumb connects to hand, to move there freely without hitting switches(imagien driver rotation hand around steering wheel while hand stays in same position on the circle, which would happen to stretch around stiff wrists.)

make buttons colored like green and red for positive negative etc(commonly used color code, bolder colors), so its easy to memorize button color code and press right switch without paying much attention. can have the switches panel not moving unlike steering wheel. similar functions are closer to each other.

individual switches can be plugged in, wiring for number of switches built into each switch so they can just be brought and plugged in. maybe some blank but programable buttons that u can cover over with a cover for each blank switch (launch control acceleration/braking sort of thing, etc).

only buttons on wheel would be like microphone on/off(phone calls, voice commands) and speaker volume. maybe flipping through sound files (up down for playlists, left right for specific tracks in a playlist ) switches. AC/heater is only used maybe twice a drive, so it can be in screen and always on display as a simple slider (most people wont use the rest of the screen except to look at GPS and they probably use voice GPS to tell them where to go when approaching a change of road for example.)

image 3:paddle shifter switches, also keep them near steering wheel center, so user stretches their index finger to press it.

one of them is headlight flasher/horn honker. one of them honker b/c in many honking situations, you want max grip thus control over car, not allowed in normal honk switch which is in middle of steering wheel. the first layer of switch in the paddle is headlight flash(a quiet version of the horn). another layer of switch triggers a quiet horn, activated by pressing down on the switch with more torque. another layer is the louder horn.

the other side of paddle is same system except it sticks in position unless you click through the layers, or it can be two sided paddle: bottom to go down a level, top to go down a level.1 layer is slow windshield wiper, 2nd player is faster rate of wiping, 3rd layer is water spray for sticking dust/mud (or self driving camera/ rear/side view cameras, can automatically detect how much is needed for efficiency or else someone may leave wipers on high speed after rain is over b/c they don’t care that its running).

April 13, 2022 at 8:49 am

the arms connecting center of wheel to the 9-5 position of wheel should be rounded to allow fingers to move around them easily.

• Steven G. Bueche

March 4, 2022 at 3:55 am

First off I don’t think the removable wheel will happen because that’s where the air bag is.

As for round, square, yoke or Flavor of the month, it has to appeal to the masses more than the niche’ crowd. This is a start up company and it needs to hit the ground running. It can’t make objects that could possibly turn clients off. Make the yoke an option (maybe except for extra cost in parts) or an aftermarket item.

Controls – again keep them where most folks are used to them, on the column as signal/wiper controls. The car looks cool and futuristic. Some love it and some hate it but let’s make it so they don’t have to take a course in Future Tech to be able to drive it.

Not a fan of drive by wire because there’s no tactile feel to it. But I understand they have to do what they have to do for weight, cost and aerodynamics.

At this stage of development they can’t go back to square one for major redesigns.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

March 4, 2022 at 5:27 am

Steven, I believe the airbags are currently slated to be in the seatbelts, not in the steering wheel/dash.

• Steven G. Bueche

March 5, 2022 at 1:38 pm

Oz first off thank you for all your contributions to the Forum.

If what you say is true Air Bags in the seat belts would be a deal breaker for me.

Can you name your source?

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

March 5, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Steven, keeping in mind that things may change, this is a cut from the google drive FAQ spreadsheet answers are from Aptera. “… airbag is an ‘in seat-belt’ airbag that’s also widely used in aviation. It projects up and out away from the driver but on 2022 launch vehicles there is no roof or side airbag.”

March 4, 2022 at 8:26 am

the airbag is at center of wheel, the removable part can be the rest of teh wheel with switches. its removable to allow more compact driving position, without making it hard to get in and out of the car b/c the lot of the wheel can get out of the way. it would replace the push to start button.

the switches should be not moving with teh wheels to make it easier to rerember where what switch is at without taking attention from the road to look at it as much. if wheel is at extreme positions while driver hands at sides af wheel, driver should be using buttons anyway and should be getting the car to normal position so he can afford to not focus on driving as much for a moment of attention it takes to use the switches. so having buttons move with the switches is not nessesary and not very helpful anyway

• Ray Holan

March 4, 2022 at 10:07 am

Guess what? The Batmobile had a yoke…

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a39299874/the-batmobile-changed-my-life/

Guess we’ll have to write an article entitled “How the Aptera Changed My Life.”

• Peter Dezendorf

March 4, 2022 at 11:50 am

A few minutes ago I watched “Dynamic Testing” video again. When the Aptera was going through the Moose Test, the driver never turned the wheel further than 90 degrees and never moved his hands on the wheel. So, a yoke will work.

• John Malcom

March 6, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Good observation! Hope that performance carries over to the production version regardless of the steering mechanism

• Robert Hauck

March 7, 2022 at 11:28 am

That doesn’t tell you much. I’ve done the equivalent of the Moose Test in a BMW 3-series and I also moved the wheel only +/- 90 degrees and never took my hands off the wheel. But a 3-series, like most cars, has about 2.5 turns lock-to-lock. You have to move it left-right-left really fast, there’s no time to reposition your hands.

• Peter Jorgensen

March 4, 2022 at 5:42 pm

Stick please! Make it drive by wire, center console mounted, with a Y shaped handle and dual controls like a light sport aircraft? Then you can drive from either side!

April 13, 2022 at 9:07 am

i sugested this in old forum, it could be also hydrallic pumps pushing the steering shaft, or directly pushing the wheels without shaft. its opeated by pushing right pump while pulling left pump, to go left, etc. this would allow arms to rest while piloting car, if armrest are height adjustabile. also allows more compact space, u dont have to make your elbows stick outward in your passengers space when steering quickly with confidence, for agronomics reason, so no need for space as much between passenger and driver. arrmow shaped front end by making driver and passengers feet closer to each other by restricting cabin space as such. VW XL 1 had passenger seat pushed back, so their elbow space is behind driver and drivers elbows can stick out without getting elbow near the passenger. better areodyanmics and narrower car, as aptera now is very wide car. also gives driver field of vision closer to the right side of car if driver is on left side), while the left side mirror conveniently already gives best visibility vs the right side mirror, which normally has blind spot requiring driver to look at rear right 2nd row passenger window(unless he has fish eye mirror attachment or camera mirror with greater field of vision)

switches on steering wheel replaced by air force fighter pilot style switches like f35 or so, a cover over switches can be fliped up to access button, to prevent accidental pressing the switch.

• Dennis Swaney

May 1, 2022 at 8:52 am

I’d prefer the stick from an A-10.

Oops, the stick close up came out too blurry.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Dennis Swaney. Reason: Added close-up of stick
        • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Dennis Swaney.
  • Pistonboy Delux

March 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm

I enjoyed this video. He said the yoke was not so much a problem for him, as much as the buttons on it. Also, the horn is not controlled by the center of the wheel, but a small button on the side. His comments start at time 11:00.

https://youtu.be/DyKQ7qtTJag?t=660

• Peter Dezendorf

March 6, 2022 at 12:53 pm

There are several poor design choices displayed. I hope Aptera can avoid them.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 4, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I’d like a stick with a trigger and 2 mounted mg42s and a 20mm cannon , just to get the slow pokes out of my way who have nothing better to do during rush hour than go to Dunkin’ Donuts or a diner for breakfast

• Nathan Hubbard

March 5, 2022 at 9:42 pm

I’m beginning to not care anymore. This is already going to be a polarizing vehicle. If they want to make it that much less desirable for normal people, fine, whatever.

Losing my sale because of weird controls isn’t going to matter to the rest of you.

• Elzo Stubbe

March 6, 2022 at 2:15 am

2000 miles drive experience with the yoke steering wheel.

This guy is very clear. See his conclusions at the end of the video….

https://youtu.be/rAdGzXboGNM

And this guy replaced the wheel in his model 3 with a yoke and this yoke steering is really awkward and horrible in a model 3.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Elzo Stubbe.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Elzo Stubbe.
  • Guy SKEER

March 6, 2022 at 12:33 pm

I have driven Cars with Wheels, Tillers, Yokes, but not Stick (Steering).

Have Flown Aircraft with Yoke and Center or Side Stick at either side. (and steered with Footbrakes/Rudder Pedals).

Have driven Bicycles with Handlebars, Tiller and Stick Single, and Double (Tank Type).

Have Piloted Boats with Wheel and Tiller.

UTVs with Wheel, Yoke, and Tank-Style Twin Sticks.

Brains are Wonderful things: They pretty easily ADAPT!

If this is “Steer By Wire”, it will be Beloved By the Handicapped! Cheapest Handicapped Vehicle Conversion!

• Jonathan Jansson

March 6, 2022 at 2:50 pm

<deleted> Reposted below.

• Pistonboy Delux

March 6, 2022 at 4:10 pm

If any of you believe the yoke looks strange, think how it would look with a brodie knob on it.

There may be a few mounted on the yokes.

Humm.

• Pistonboy Delux

March 7, 2022 at 7:33 am

I am more concerned with the controls on the yoke, than the yoke itself.

This is information yet to come out.

• Hayden Maxwell

March 7, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Wow, reading through this thread, I did not realize the steering method was such a point of contention! Of my top 100 concerns about the Aptera, steering wheel versus yoke does not make the list. I’ll buy it regardless of that particular configuration.

Personally though, my ideal setup would be a yoke with stalks. I like low profile design of the yoke as I regularly bump my knees into the full-size steering wheels in my compact sedan. In addition, I feel like a regular steering wheel would obstruct the view of the HUD. Lastly, (but least important) I feel like a yoke better matches the aesthetic of the Aptera.

Regarding stalks, while stalkless does look better, I prefer the tactile feedback of stalks.

My only other comment would be that I do not want an exclusively drive-by-wire system.

• Michael Jordan

September 1, 2022 at 12:49 pm

I would prefer a wheel, but a yoke isn’t a deal killer. I do want stalks for functionality. I definitely don’t want drive-by-wire. With a car this light, rack and pinion steering and even just hydraulic brakes (non-powered) would work. You get some braking from the regeneration. Now, I realize that lots of people wouldn’t like the heavy feel of that, but this car shouldn’t need much power boost. Conventional electric power steering and electric power brakes should be fine.

Viewing 1 - 25 of 122 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now