Where will Hub Motors be Made??

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Where will Hub Motors be Made??

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Where will Hub Motors be Made??

• Where will Hub Motors be Made??

Curtis Cibinel updated 2 months ago 10 Members · 16 Posts
  • Norman Roberts

April 29, 2022 at 8:16 am

From prior info, Lordstown was to produce motors for their trucks along with motors for Aptera.

What if Lordstown goes down ? How will Aptera source the wheel motors ? Will Aptera be forced to set up production facility ?

• Wes Man

April 29, 2022 at 8:25 am

I’m guessing this questing is coming from the following youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP9nTiVtkBc

• Joshua Rosen

April 29, 2022 at 8:42 am

Lordstown doesn’t produce anything. The motors come from Elaphe, Lordstown was planning on using them in their truck but that’s the only connection.

• Steven G. Bueche

April 29, 2022 at 8:45 am
    • John Malcom

April 29, 2022 at 9:18 am

Page is not available when clicked so don’t know what the article says.

There is an Elaphe production line at the Lords Town plant, but it is configured to build wheel motors for the Endurance pickup. These motors are considerably different than those needed for an Aptera. Since Foxconn will build those pickups the Elaphe line will be committed to support the pickup builds. It is possible that Elaphe may implement another line to build the custom Aptera wheel motors. But that will require capital, a different configuration, and time to come on line if it is planned. There would need to be some level of confidence that this kind of investment would pay off so a record of consistent Aptera sales to support profitability with an Aptera line would be a precondition.

UPDATE: Read the article on another site. The Elaphe production line will not be bought by Foxconn. It will still be needed to support the production of the current configuration of the Endurance pickup. So if Elaphe intends to build wheel motors there for Aptera, it will require modification of the current line to produce both or a new line so the above still applies. If that is the long game intention, the Aptera motors will need to be manufactured in their European facility until Lords Town can be brought on line assuming there is a business case to do so.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  John Malcom. Reason: added update
      • Curtis Cibinel

April 29, 2022 at 9:58 am
      • George Hughes

April 29, 2022 at 10:41 am

Who is making the suspension components? I ask this because my understanding is that Roush, who designed them, will have that contract.

Someone mentioned Protean in wheel motors in the video and I was mildly surprised to see Sandy Monro evaluating a M-B that included Protean wheels in a recent Monro Live video.

You folks are obviously not on top of this factoid but someone knows something.

The obvious takeaways are the Elaphe motors can be manufactured in volume in a 20,000 sq. ft. facility. (The capacity of this setup would provide Four motors per Lordstown truck suggesting you could build a ton of the motors in a comparatively small shop)

There are special cast or stamped parts for the Elaphe 700 design IWM for the Aptera, which if the Aptera motors were planned for production there along with the larger IWM’s for the Lordstown suggests that 20,000 sq. ft. facility was capable of building tons of two different motors as only the basic components like maybe permanent magnets would be shared.

Is the facility at Lordstown an assembly point? Do we know whether that elaphe line in Ohio simply assembles the motors from components like the castings, magnets, bearings, gears and gaskets or do they cast or stamp the components there?

If the motors are basically assembled from out sourced parts, a 20,000 sq. ft. facility near Detroit , a description of which Youngstown doesn’t exactly fit, is not an unicorn.

Even if the process of making the motor includes stampings or castings, those are not skills that Roush lack.

The idea of sourcing of the motors from China is another alternative because, the key element in all these cases is that Aptera has the intellectual properties rights; i.e. the permission to make and sell the things.

In any case, we know that Chris and Steve have as their vision the Aptera as a platform for EV components that make it go. You couldn’t have the Aptera design of today without in-wheel motors.

In wheel motors have a great future beyond Lordstown motors and Aptera; although Aptera, it appears, will be the halo-vehicle that makes the motor.

I suspect they’ve just about have it figured out if not already.

Given the comparatively small capital investment implied by a 20,000 sq. ft. facility and the elemental simplicity of electric motors, I wouldn’t panic; I wouldn’t even worry. They’ve got this ’cause we need this.

As the Blues Brothers would say, “They’re on a mission from God.”

• Gary Greenway

April 30, 2022 at 5:02 pm

George, I hope they bailed on lordstown a while ago. There’s still a lot of manufacturing talent and capacity in detroit.

• John Malcom

April 30, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Amen George! Great sermon. I am a believer!!!!

Let fire come down and destroy all non believers on the forum and those that oppose yokes 😋😋 Oh…those that don’t like wraps….and of course those that want more or different features this close to production. I guess that just about does it.

Thanks for the segue George.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Restructured
          • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  John Malcom.
          • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Restructured
      • Elzo Stubbe

April 29, 2022 at 10:54 am

Elaphe does not have a European production facility….Elaphe only has a research/test facility.

• Paul Schultz

April 30, 2022 at 4:56 am

Yes, Elaphe is not really geared for production. They offer solutions and license. They have licensed the tech to Lordstown. Lordstown is retaining 2 areas of the factory in the Foxconn deal, the wheel motor assembly area and the battery assembly area. I follow Lordstown closely and from their info/marketing videos they show machinery doing motor windings and other aspects of motor assembly. Aptera will need a similar arrangement for sourcing the wheel motors. Whether they subcontract with Lordstown or find another OEM supplier, time will tell.

• Joshua Rosen

April 30, 2022 at 6:46 am

In the Aptera Motor Club video he says that Chris Anthony said the motors will be made near Detroit. That doesn’t narrow it down very much but it does eliminate Lordstown as a possible source.

• Paul Schultz

May 1, 2022 at 9:52 am

Relative to San Diego, Lordstown OH is “near Detrot”. 😉

• Curtis Cibinel

May 1, 2022 at 10:20 am

FYI the deadline for the deal between Foxconn and Lordstown got moved. Still no confirmation either one has anything to do with the motors but it is what was speculated.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/lordstown-foxconn-delay-factory-sale-deadline-mid-may#:~:text=Lordstown%20has%20said%20in%20prior,to%20Foxconn%20for%20%24230%20million.

• John Malcom

May 1, 2022 at 8:45 am

Not a boomer. The generation before! It was humor.

• Gary Greenway

May 1, 2022 at 9:47 am

Jon, just so I understand you: Calling names, strawman argument, death wish, and lame insult. Wow.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now