Who would prefer a “naked” option?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Who would prefer a “naked” option?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Who would prefer a “naked” option?

• Who would prefer a “naked” option?

M T updated 1 month, 1 week ago 12 Members · 23 Posts
  • seth feldman

June 28, 2022 at 9:45 pm

AKA unwrapped, and ready to paint

• John Voules

June 29, 2022 at 5:36 am

Possibly….maybe not even paint or wrap. Depending on the actual finish, some of the pics have an eerie green color that maybe the most futuristic look of the vehicle itself. Probably couldn’t replicate the look with paint or a wrap.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 6:51 am

I don’t think Aptera would want an unfinished appearance on a vehicle in public. You can do what you want with the Aptera once you own it. Besides, if you get a loan to pay for the Aptera, the financial institution will not want the vehicle in a “Customized state” which may impact its resale value.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 29, 2022 at 9:25 am

With some of the recent changes, I’m not sure what the body will be comprised of or what an unwrapped version looks like. From recent photos of the Beta it appears to look like plain fiberglass. I hope it’s not as this isn’t what I signed up for. I know they’ve said at various times it’s a composite honeycomb and (if memory serves) resin infused fiber (glass) hemp and Kevlar body. But nothing been said of late.

Either way, I suspect most of us will receive the wrap and wait for degradation to start and plan accordingly. I for one will paint it depending what the local shop would charge to wrap it again.

• kerbe2705

June 29, 2022 at 9:57 pm

@Steven G. Bueche It all depends upon who was speaking at the time: CTO Nathan often spoke of his ideas for Aptera as if they were “chapter and verse”. The Alpha and Beta bodies are built of fiberglass – with the injected-foam “honeycomb” for enhanced rigidity. If you look at the attached image you’ll see the honeycomb behind the seat (to the right of the image) and to the left of the gentleman’s elbow. Recently we’ve heard that the front wheel pants and the doors might be made from carbon fiber – for both lightness and rigidity – but there’s been no mention of hemp for many months.

• Steven G. Bueche

June 30, 2022 at 3:35 am

I would think carbon fiber doors would be cost prohibitive based on the initial cost set up. If the body is as strong as they say, the current material should suffice.

• kerbe2705

June 30, 2022 at 9:22 am

@Steven G. Bueche Carbon fiber is not so expensive as it once was and remember that the doors – when opening and when opened are under a great deal of stress: They have no metal frame and are attached to the body at only two points. They also include some form of side-impact reinforcement as well as a glass window and motorize mechanism. CF might be the best way to make a light-yet-strong – and rigid – door.

• Scott P

June 29, 2022 at 11:11 am

This is an interesting idea, though I agree with Jonah that I don’t believe Aptera would want to sell incomplete vehicles and financing may not approve.

Except for a very expensive complete tear-down paint job, paint direct from factory should always be the better option since the body can initially be directly sprayed into all nooks and crannies without needing to disassemble or tape around lights, hinges, emblems, hardware, etc. etc.

I would happily pay Aptera more money for proper paint from the factory. Essentially every other vehicle manufacturer in the world has figured this out, and Aptera has figured out far more difficult things than paint. Vinyl wraps are cheaper, and you get what you pay for. Paint can be outsourced like they are already doing for their sub-assemblies (and this does not require a capital intensive paint shop to be owned by Aptera). They could also only offer paint for the 3 base colors (black, white, silver) for economies of scale and manufacturing line simplicity. Vinyl wrap could be a custom color option on top of that, which would make sense and is a model that has worked well elsewhere.

I remain hopeful that Chris Anthony’s earlier public comments that they were researching alternatives to the early vinyl wrap decision was more than stalling tactic lip service to quell growing social media backlash about vinyl wraps at the time. I don’t want Aptera to walk into being the butt of jokes about how the “solar vehicle” needs to be protected from exposure to the sun.

• John Voules

June 29, 2022 at 11:46 am

Painting by Aptera is a no go for the foreseeable future. Chris also mentioned that they may make available without wrap for those who plan on painting. Jonah, I don’t believe not having a wrap on your delivered vehicle is considered customized, especially if Aptera decides to deliver their vehicles in this manner if ordered so.

• Scott P

June 29, 2022 at 4:18 pm

John, you are probably right, unfortunately. Nonetheless, Chris Anthony did say that they were revisiting the vinyl wrap idea and there has been no public communication/follow-up about that from Aptera since then. We can probably interpret that as no news is bad news, though I am keeping my glass half full until definitively confirmed otherwise. 🙂

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 4:46 pm

👍 hope you are right!

• Joshua Vance Vance

June 30, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Wasn’t Aptera’s main issue with using paint coming from the weight of it? I remember that being mentioned a while ago.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 29, 2022 at 4:54 pm

It is customized if it is not the standard offering. Right now the standard offering consists of three wrapped colors until announced otherwise. What you describe I believe fits in the “Custom” finish category as it would certainly be requested by a small minority of buyers. I believe painting (I would also categorize as custom, probably vended out) would have a higher chance of happening than an unfinished exterior.

I still reassert that Aptera would not want unfinished vehicles in the market place and that lenders would not loan against an unfinished vehicle due to its reduced value.

• seth feldman

June 29, 2022 at 4:08 pm

Obviously I’d prefer a factory paint job. Since that’s not happening I’d rather not wait until the wrap either starts disintegrating. Other issue with waiting too long to rewrap is the wrap that sticks to the car and often is removed with solvents. So will the solvents react/damage the composite materials?

Obviously it should only be an option for people who want to get a paintjob elsewhere, since aptera won’t be doing that.

• Kevin Bradbury

June 29, 2022 at 5:04 pm

I don’t have any experience or know anyone with a wrapped vehicle. So, I pose the question to you fine, knowledgeable folks. Would ceramic coating make a vehicle wrap last longer? Enough for the trouble and expense? Will a wrapped vehicle take a ceramic coating?

• seth feldman

June 29, 2022 at 5:07 pm

People I know with longer lasting wraps do like ceramic coatings, but I suspect real reason they lasted 5-10 years is because the wraps are on garage queens with very little solar exposure. Although the glue after that long will almost definitely require solvent to remove, and customers will get to see how that reacts to the polymer body…

• Karen Copher

June 29, 2022 at 8:09 pm

I was talked into getting my Model-Y professionally wrapped in clear 3M, then I applied a ceramic coat on top of it almost two years ago. Looks great, but even though the car is garaged, I have noticed that the vinyl wrap has shrunk a bit leaving edges without protection in only two years. I am regretting it.

WRAPS DO NOT LAST! My background was in care of collections at museums. Vinyl sleeves were banned for use when storing art because they break down, off gas and can transfer chemicals to the work. The plasticizers used to soften the vinyl are extremely dangerous . To me, my Aptera will be a work of art, along with it’s many other attributes. So please, no temporary, polluting plastic “packaging” from a company concerned about the future of our planet.

I will wait to see what the finish will be while hoping they rethink wraps.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Karen Copher.
  • kerbe2705

June 29, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Another option that no one has mentioned… https://www.triumphboats.com/paint-vs-gelcoat/

• Steven G. Bueche

June 30, 2022 at 3:44 am

If we can tell where the most impact on the body will be based on air flow and where the grime will contact the body, it may help to determine the material needed for protection. I like the gelcoat idea as this is in Chris’ area of expertise with his prior boat building company. Sure it may limit your color choice but hey, right now there’s only three anyway. The challenge will be to reduce or eliminate the rattles and vibrations of the body to prevent the gelcoats cracking over time. I’m sure with enough elbow grease we can get it to shine as much as we want it to. It works for boats and they’re in the sun pretty much 24/7

You can always wrap over it if you want to for that custom look.

I also agree with the above statement that it would not look good for this environmentally based company to be throwing heaps of plastic into the land fills. It goes against the mission statement.

• Russell Fauver

July 1, 2022 at 6:38 am

At 9:25 in this video they discuss different vehicle finishing methods, paint is not one of them. To me it looks like Chris is leaning towards a wrap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQm9kHwuiwhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQm9kHwuiw

• Laura Batchelor

July 1, 2022 at 8:41 am

Seems to me that the simple solution would be to contract with a large local paint shop (with good quality control) to provide the 3 basic colors of paint on those cars bought by those who really want paint instead of wraps. It could be an upgrade, although I’d be really mad if it cost a fortune.

• Jonah Jorgenson

July 1, 2022 at 10:09 am

A good idea/compromise for those that want paint if the final decision is wraps for Aptera. Done in CA probably more expensive than average. Maybe can be kept at the “Custom” finish price currently listed. There is not much to paint on an Aptera compared to a regular sized car. Also with some guaranteed volume, should get a lower than average price. Concur with you about GOOD quality control!

• M T

July 1, 2022 at 4:17 pm

The obvious answer is to provide a white gel coat as a “base” configuration. Those who want a different colour can get it wrapped. Or repainted. But the structure needs to be protected from UV rays, as delivered.

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now