Why are you buying an Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why are you buying an Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why are you buying an Aptera

• Why are you buying an Aptera

Posted by Riley on August 22, 2023 at 1:08 am

I am curious if there are any alternative reasons why you are interested in buying an Aptera? Other than it being the most efficient EV.

My secondary reason was the possible usefulness of hub motors in classic car conversions, i intend on putting hub motors in the front wheels, battery in the trunk while keeping the stock V8 powertrain intact.

david-marlow replied 2 weeks, 6 days ago 23 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Why are you buying an Aptera

david-marlow updated 2 weeks, 6 days ago 23 Members · 22 Replies
  • Gozer

August 22, 2023 at 3:52 am

I already commute with an Arcimoto for my twenty-two mile work commute in San Diego. The FUV currently does about 95% of my driving needs. The Aptera will be a more capable vehicle that can do 100% of my driving needs. These two autocycles compliment each other, one is an open, small footprint vehicle that features rock star parking. The other is a dolphin shaped pod with Italian supercar DNA that doesn’t need gas, oil, or a plug.

• Solana

August 22, 2023 at 7:27 am

SOLAR…!!!<div>

+ Aerodynamics

I live in a very sunny climate and 90% of the miles I drive is at 80 mph. All other EVs lose significant range at that speed.

</div>

• william-hester

August 22, 2023 at 7:29 am

I commute 26.2 miles each way to and from work in southwest Mississippi where we have plenty of sunshine most of the year. Aptera would make an excellent daily driver for my needs. I have a Jeep Gladiator pickup for hauling bulky cargo, pulling my small utility trailer, and going off-road, but its fuel economy isn’t very good. In addition to the utilitarian reason, the Aptera has amazing aesthetics and looks like it’d be fun to drive. Also, I like the idea of a vehicle that has extremely low maintenance requirements (no oil changes, no transmission fluid, no air filter, and brakes that will last MUCH longer than ICE vehicle brakes, just to name a few).

Now if they can just make it to production…

• craig-merrow

August 22, 2023 at 8:42 am

I like the Aptera ethos of efficiency and being designed to last. My home is already solar powered, so having an SEV would compliment my lifestyle nicely as well.

• CGSMT

August 22, 2023 at 9:52 am

Other than the obvious personal benefits (efficiency/cost/looks cool), I decided to purchase to improve the chances of this company succeeding. This type of vehicle on a global scale will make a difference.

• Greek

August 22, 2023 at 10:00 am

Buying an APTERA for many reasons.

As a start, it will be one of the most beautiful distinctive vehicles on the road.

The most efficient vehicle I can find in terms of energy use…I am not a big fan of utility companies.

Its size and efficiency will allow me to replace two of my vehicles, my i3 and my Zero motorcycle.

I like to support companies that are trying to help the planet (thus helping humanity and all life in general).

I find the APTERA to be within what I would like to spend on a vehicle, especially for the fun and excitement I will receive from driving it hard when the opportunity exists.

I recently purchased a Model Y, it will definitely be used the least of my 3 vehicles, I will hold on to it until APTERA produces a 4 or 5 seat vehicle themselves🤞.

• rex-schneider

August 22, 2023 at 10:09 am

Riley, Love this question. For me it was always about the Wild look and performance. This should be a really fun car to drive. The ability to not plug in also fits with my off grid mentality.

I like the Idea of hub motors in classics. I am to much of a purist for it but I can see where that would work for many folks. It would have to be newer cars. No way I can get hub motors on my model T.

• jesthorbjorn

August 22, 2023 at 10:25 am

Aside from the rest of the good sense reasons, I am frankly appalled with the sameness of the vast majority of modern cars. Even most of the new EVs are styled to masquerade as ICE cars with their faux grills and air scoops.

I quite approved of the original Leaf’s more novel appearance, and Teslas remain at least somewhat distinctive looking. Aptera takes the cake, bucking the sameness trend, and all for reasons of form following function.

• wingsounds13

August 22, 2023 at 10:38 am

In order of greatest importance…

1. The shape. This vehicle is Beautiful. I am somewhat of an aviation enthusiast and this vehicle looks a lot like a modern composite light plane without the wings. It also screams EFFICIENCY. I knew that efficiency was its prime concept when I saw it the first time.

2. The efficiency. I have an affinity for greater efficiency and the Aptera definitely fits this affliction.

3. The fact that with the above two items, the Aptera could be my only vehicle.

4. Right to repair / long life span. I really like this ethos. Companies that deliberately restrict the ability for third parties to perform repairs are heinous and I do what I can to NOT support them.

• christopher-barrett

August 22, 2023 at 11:44 am

Because I believe it is a shift in the way things should be done. Design/efficiency/solar charging/in-wheel-motors, I could name a few more, like carbon fiber, monocoque structure for added safety, AI Comma open pilot, knock, knock entry, and of course being able to sleep in her spacious area, at a rest area, or while charging her up at the Tesla charger. Driving a Prius now getting 55+MPG but getting the 330+ MPGe from my Aptera will be wonderful. Cutting cost of travel six-fold. and doing it in style. Nothing yet produced looks like an Aptera, it is groundbreaking, and I want to be a part of it, (originally, I am from NYC.) I have driven all over north America, maybe 3 million miles by now, and I still enjoy driving, but I think with torque vectoring three-wheel drive in my Aptera, it will be sweet. I am so looking forward to the day I pick it up.

• Kamakiri

August 22, 2023 at 2:40 pm

<div>“I am curious if there are any alternative reasons why you are interested in buying an Aptera?”</div>

There’s a list of alternative reasons why I want to buy a second Aptera! 😉

As for the ‘normal’ reasons…I want the first one to increase/expand my current ‘solar mobility’, which is just a class 1 cargo e-bike that is exclusively charged by solar generated power. Not on-board, but separately via loose panels and battery storage. I run local errands on it whenever possible and it has an 81 lb. cargo capacity on the racks and up to about 55 lb. in a backpack given my current weight to reach the bike’s gross weight limit. This Aptera would replace a lot of my ICE truck use.

For the alternative reasons…if I don’t add some other sEV or EV truck like a Cybertruck or Lightning first, I want to convert a second Aptera into a Time-trial/HPDE/‘racecar’. I’d keep it street legal so it could arrive-and-drive at the local/SoCal race tracks. Carrying a jack and 3 (or 4) slicks shouldn’t be an issue space wise, and might even have room for auxiliary battery storage and maybe some portable solar panels for charging between sessions/heats. I’ve envisioned several ways to add the necessary cooling capacity for track duty. From the schematics I’ve seen, an adjustable sway bar, revised spring rates and upgraded dampers like 3 or 4-way adjustables shouldn’t be too difficult to build and/or source bespoke. Might even want to go as far as Laguna Seca or Tooele with it, even if I’d have to trailer it. COTA would be nice too, as I’ve never been yet…maybe some Texan Apterae could join me there.

There are more ‘alternative’ reasons, but TL;DR enough already!

• D2E

August 22, 2023 at 3:37 pm

I will be an enigma to the folks around here in North Carolina. It’s unique with the solar charging which is primarily why I invested in it given the opportunity provided.

• Shawgrin

August 23, 2023 at 1:03 pm

I am looking forward to not having to worry about maintenance and fuel. Putting my skills to rest in SMOG and Brake repairs less need of my electrical abilities. Although I may look into hot-rodding my motors, increasing output of the solar and motors. I want a good handling fast vehicle at this time in my life.

• edmund-erickson

August 24, 2023 at 4:29 am

50% of the time I live off grid with no charging to speak of solar powered boat solar powered cabin the other 50% I live in a condo with no plugins outside so it’s the obvious choice for me plus it’s so dang cool looking I can’t wait for people to ask me what is that thing. my friend who drives a Tesla says it looks like a bug well dragonflies are my favorite bug because they eat mosquitoes. My wife is skeptical but she will come around.

• john-malcom

August 24, 2023 at 10:40 am

Besides the efficiency of the vehicle (Primary reason), I am buying an Aptera because of my admiration for the Co-CEOs who stuck to building “Their concept” vehicle the way they thought it should be in spite of all of reservation holders and others that said “It hast to have this or that” or “That won’t work” or “That’s not safe” or “What are they thinking” I want them to be successful for sticking to their guns on the right thing.

• steven-dempster

August 24, 2023 at 1:13 pm

It is about the efficiency. My car has a smaller battery than my previous EV, but it goes further on a charge, needs charging less often, charges more quickly, because it’s efficient. Efficiency just improves everything for the electric car driver.

• TnWesty

August 30, 2023 at 12:26 pm

As an early reservation holder (Jan ‘21) and with production estimates being continuously pushed out the Launch Edition (LE) was initially a low point. Having for years driven small, efficient two seaters has been in my genes since the ‘70’s. The Aptera makes sense when almost 100% of my driving is 2 or fewer occupants and less than 300 miles a week. At current gas prices it’s $0.12 to $0.15 per mile just for fuel, but with the Aptera it’s $0.012 per mile before adding the solar charging.

When the LE was announced without DCFC I too revolted but that is old history. Then came the prediction of 5000 LE’s before any options can be added which IMO pushed my early order out to a realistic 2025 or later. Then a potential reality hit: If I have faith, hope, and belief that Aptera will be what it can be then reserve a second, make it a LE, and join the Accelerator program. If it turns out I like it then I will get the second one in maybe 2025 with the configuration I want and keep both or sell the LE. For my driving the Aptera just fits my needs and the Aptera may be the last new car/cars I ever buy.

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

September 2, 2023 at 6:46 pm

Why I am buying an Aptera…

I’m a car enthusiast (at heart, since I learned how to drive at 14, in a stick ‘74 VW Bug; am now 56 and still drive a stick as a daily). I love tech and also an efficiency geek.

My AWD Aptera will be one of my “Toys for Big Boys” hobby.

• High_Roller

September 3, 2023 at 7:46 am

I do doordash/uber eats for a living. It is my passion in life. I am a professional traveler and I need the vehicle that will transport myself and my cargo to the end of the Earth in a day should I deem it necessary.

This year I did a road trip from Phoenix to Miami and then back to my hometown in OKC. Almost 4,000 miles in a month. I can safely say that I won’t get tired of driving any time soon.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Bradey Burk.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Bradey Burk.
  • former_fan

September 7, 2023 at 7:44 am

I am only in the market for an Aptera because its different..

• curtis-cibinel

September 7, 2023 at 8:44 am

I want a midlife crisis sports car that I can actually afford and will not buy a new vehicle that isn’t an EV. Enough room in the back for my dogs, viable level 1 charging and right to repair are also huge features for me.

• david-marlow

September 7, 2023 at 12:17 pm

I also have a lot of reasons, but the main one is that it just seems right for me. The more I think about it and with the improvements it just gets better. However I think we have been waiting long enough and any more improvements that will delay production beyond recieving the need funding would concern me. Especialy sense with the right to repair and modular construction adding improvements after purchase should be not much of a problem.

or to reply.