Why gullwing doors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why gullwing doors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why gullwing doors?

• Why gullwing doors?

Steven G. Bueche updated 1 week ago 19 Members · 34 Posts
  • Peter Dezendorf

December 10, 2021 at 2:47 pm

Perhaps this is answered in some FAQ. Why gullwing doors?

Also, when the door is open and you are seated, how far up is the reach for the handle to close the door?

• Len Nowak Nowak

December 10, 2021 at 3:17 pm

There is a long strap on the door to pull down

I have been in the Sol and it closes easy “ for Me”

But you can see the strap in many pictures and videos

• Riley ________________________________

December 10, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I believe they selected butterfly doors due to the wheel pods. Also they look cool.

• Llewellyn Evans

December 11, 2021 at 12:42 am

The doors freak me out a bit too (fear of the unknown) …. but I am sure I will love them once I get my car. And I agree they look cool.

• Pistonboy Delux

December 13, 2021 at 9:04 pm

By making them gull-wind, they hinge along the longest straight-line edge of the door. This may be a mechanical advantage.

• Pistonboy Delux

December 13, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Regardless if the doors are gull-wing or some other design, I just hope the switch for the electric window is a mechanical switch in the door, and not a touch pad on the touch screen.

• Matthew Kearns

June 22, 2022 at 11:45 am

From what I’ve seen, I’d be prepared for touch screen controls only. Unless they made changes recently.

• kerbe2705

December 13, 2021 at 9:15 pm

Not actually “gullwing” as gullwing doors are hinged on the roof, open vertically and latch at the bottom sill: Aptera’s doors are hinged on the “A”pillar, open horizontally and latch on the “B” pillar.

• Ron Ledohowski

December 14, 2021 at 2:44 am

I love all that is different about Aptera including the “butterfly” (accurate, “eco-aware”, marketing term, IMHO) doors.

Can’t wait!!

• Ron Ledohowski

December 18, 2021 at 6:45 am

Climate Action is Eveyone’s Business!

To Make CHANGE
      YOU must be the CHANGE!

#APTERA #DISRUPTIVE #SEV #EVTECH #SOLARELECTRICVEHICLES

The time is now!
      The future is here?

#TICTOC #TEMPUSFUGIT #TIMEFLIES

• Harry Parker

December 18, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Now you’ve done it!

I’m imagining how my Aptera would look with a custom wrap — with butterfly wings.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

December 14, 2021 at 9:49 am

Why, because they are cool.

• James Castaneda

June 14, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Now, having finally gotten to sit in an Aptera in Long Beach, I began to wonder why the doors weren’t more of a scissor (think Lamborghini) design, as it seems rather intrusive as is. People were very commonly hitting their head (gently, but still), or really bending back to get away from it while entering. Anyway, hopefully a little tweaking is still feasible and won’t hinder any other beneficial design features.

• Harry Parker

June 14, 2022 at 5:58 pm

They have modified the door design to allow easier access. What you sat in was the earlier Alpha design prototype. It has been modified since they built that. Also the passengers will have more headroom.

• kerbe2705

June 14, 2022 at 9:43 pm

@Harry Parker As I recall from one of the ambassador webinars, the shape of the doors was changed to create a larger open area at the drivers’ and passengers’ hips and the hinges were relocated and reengineers to allow the doors to open slightly more “up” than “out”.

• Chris Hale

June 22, 2022 at 10:44 am

I like the fact that the doors go up on their own, like the rear hatch of my car. However, would be even better if they could close on their own too, like the rear hatch of my car.

• Matthew Kearns

June 22, 2022 at 11:43 am

It was very easy to close the doors in the alpha vehicle. Short reach with the strap they have.

• Richard Palmisano

June 23, 2022 at 7:54 am

Because they haven’t invent the “Jestson’s” like dome that disappears yet.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 23, 2022 at 9:28 am

I believe an over the air update for early delivery vehicles.😉

• Paul Kirchner

June 23, 2022 at 11:03 am

It’s funny that it’s ok for the doors to be cool as their reason for existence but not ok for the yoke.

• Scott Price

June 23, 2022 at 11:11 am

Paul, I expect the difference in response from some folks is that the butterfly doors only come into play when at a full stop and when entering/exiting. In comparison, the yoke is a constant primary interface throughout tens / hundreds of thousands of miles of driving, so it should meet a higher bar of safety, dependability, and comfort.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 23, 2022 at 11:38 am

A Koolaid rationale.

There is no evidence that the yoke does not meet the standard you site as no owner has driven an Aptera with a yoke. Mostly emotional speculation on the faults of the yoke

As stated by Paul Kirchner, It can be judged by the standard of cool just a the doors are.

• Scott Price

June 23, 2022 at 12:15 pm

Fully agreed that you likewise do not have any direct evidence, Jonah/John.

The logic-based and HMI-based rationale for not supporting the yoke that I previously provided elsewhere in this forum is not “emotional speculation”. You might disagree with the logic, which is your prerogative, but it is not “emotional”. In comparison, I classify the recurring “Aptera can do no wrong and all of their decisions should not be questioned” viewpoint as more rah rah emotional than my and other Aptera fan forum members’ reasoned inputs. I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever with a yoke when it is used in a properly matched HMI environment (airplane, F1 car, etc.).

I am sharing my opinion with Paul, just as you are sharing your opinion. I am providing input for consideration of a basis for why the yoke likely incites more controversy. Not everyone actually thinks the yoke is “cool”, anyhow.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 23, 2022 at 12:35 pm

Ha. Keep fighting a loosing battle!

The yoke is coming regardless of your protestations. Some will like it, most will be ambivalent, and some will not like it maybe to the point they will forego their Aptera. I will be interested in seeing if you stand on your principles to the point where you will be one of the latter, or in spite of your complaints, you bite the bullet and get an Aptera anyway.

• Scott Price

June 23, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Your response boils down to “you are with us or against us” and “if you cannot drink 100% of the Kool-Aid, go away”. You are projecting personal assumptions, based on nothing. I have NEVER ONCE said I do not plan to purchase an Aptera. Unlike you, I recognize that the Aptera is not perfect and I discuss how some things could be better in the hopes of generating ideas to make it even better for now and for the future, even if it unfortunately goes no further than this forum at this time. Bringing up concerns over specific design decisions on this DISCUSSION forum does not mean that I am the black & white, go/no-go person that your unfounded assumption tries to paint me. Do you actually think that I am not going to purchase an Aptera because of a bad cupholder design? I disagree with your perspective that decries independent, rational thinking and constructive feedback as if it is mutually exclusive from supporting Aptera.

I am both a long standing reservation holder and an investor in Aptera. If/when I purchase an Aptera, I will have stood by my “principles” of not being a sycophant while also supporting what I consider to be the best vehicle soon to be available in the world. “Best” does not equate to “perfect”, and there are ways to become even better (both for near term owners and for future market potential).

I hope that your trolling of me will cease so we can get back to respectfully talking about Aptera.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 24, 2022 at 7:58 am

let’s make a deal. I will stop trolling you if you stop trolling me. Fair enough?😁

• Dennis Swaney

June 23, 2022 at 3:32 pm

However, yokes can be replaced by a full wheel if the owner so desires (a nice woodgrain Nardi comes to mind) whereas the doors can’t.

• John Voules

June 23, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Yokes can also be replaced with other yokes….maybe a less smiley face one.

• Dennis Swaney

June 23, 2022 at 4:33 pm

Maybe a Ford Wrist-Twist one?

• Scott Price

June 23, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Dennis, that is certainly possible. Biggest concern, though, may be missed functionality with whatever the two (or three?) control interfaces are connected to (shown around the center of the yoke). That may be hard to replicate without a factory-based steering wheel option or a very well integrated after-market option.

Also, the yoke decision appears to be mostly driven by providing somewhat unimpeded viewing of the new upper display. A full round steering wheel would block that upper display under that assumption of the newest gamma display configuration (which merged the prior two side view “mirror” displays inboard and above the yoke). So, while a round steering wheel may have steering control benefits over a yoke, there is the trade-off that a round steering wheel would not fit well within required viewing angles for the rest of the gamma display layout. The yoke will likely also block the upper display, though only when the yoke is being turned roughly 45+ degrees or so.

• Dennis Swaney

June 23, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Display blockage can be alleviated by choosing an appropriate diameter wheel.

• John Voules

June 24, 2022 at 7:22 am

Wheels sizes are trending smaller, I suppose you could put a merry go round steering wheel, how would that look though?

I’m kind of over the discussion of yoke wheel. Once the Aptera is in production and people truly have a steering issue or can’t adapt to actual production wheel, then would be a good time to make changes or offer an option. Let their engineers and design people make the decision without bias of those who unknowingly criticize something they haven’t actually tried.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 24, 2022 at 8:02 am

A rational perspective. And you are correct, the right time to revisit is sometime after general delivery where owner response to the yoke can be accurately assessed for a response if merited. Also eliminates any reengineering at this point in development which would impact schedule and budget.

Wise words

• Steven G. Bueche

June 24, 2022 at 1:14 pm

I don’t remember any mention of this so I’ll ask; Are the door hinges operated by pistons or are they a spring arrangement?

In a few early pictures I’d seen the pistons but I haven’t seen any updates since Rouch (sp?) did the redesigns.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now