Why I have not invested yet.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why I have not invested yet.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Why I have not invested yet.

• Why I have not invested yet.

Posted by larry-kaiser on March 16, 2023 at 2:32 pm

I have the money and fully intend to buy an Aptera but I have not invested to get the early edition. Reason #1 I do not want or need the 3rd motor. I will have a cybertruck and a Subaru with all wheel drive and if it is snowy or muddy the Aptera will stay home. I don’t want the hit on efficency and I don’t want to spend the additional $2500. Reason #2 I can’t get a straight answer WRT a 120V outlet. I am sure that it will be available when Aptera goes into full production but I want it for the drive home to Nebraska. I think that Aptera should loosen up a little and allow some flexability in the launch edition. Wire it for the 3rd motor but just don’t install it. That can’t take any time or effort over installing the motor. Make the 120V 1500 watt outlet standard from the start. As I watch the news it seems that every day there are reports of thousands and hundreds of thousands of people who are without utility power. I am not asking to be able to power an entire house but the ability to run a coffee pot/electric fry pan/ a few 8 watt LED bulbs/a TV set/a small fridge or freezer/charge a phone or computer/sump pump/ fan when the power is out would great. Not all at the same time of course. All electrical devices have the wattage on them somewhere. If you can add and you can keep the total under 1500 watts you can use several of these devices at the same time. The fridge or freezer uses more power at the start and so you might not be able to power much else but you could run them over night and keep your food cold/frozen. I have a 3000+ square foot house that is pretty much all electric and when I am not using the AC my daily power use is around 15KWH. If the power is out I would be much more diligent in turning off things and so my use would be closer to 10KWH. I have a generator (noisy and uses a lot of propane) so I could charge the Aptera with an hour or two of run time and pump water (which takes 240V). We are pretty close to tornado season and then comes hurricane season. If we get the extremes in those weather events that we have seen recently in rain and snowfall there will be a lot of folks who will want an Aptera that can get them somewhere to buy food and then help them cook it. I fully understand the idea of a simple single version of the Aptera to start production. My simple changes to that model would sell a lot of Apteras over the long run. It is not too late to change!

Gozer replied 1 day, 5 hours ago 12 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Why I have not invested yet.

Gozer updated 1 day, 5 hours ago 12 Members · 11 Replies
  • eric-caldwell

March 16, 2023 at 2:35 pm

Okay. You do you.

• patrick-phelan

March 16, 2023 at 2:51 pm

It sounds like you could power your house for at most 4 hours, and it would leave the Aptera drained. The battery just isn’t that big. The solar panels aren’t all that big, either.

Have you considered what you want is not a car but a better generator? Solar power system? Both the panels and batteries get a lot cheaper when you aren’t stuffing them into a vehicle.

• Mike-Mars

March 16, 2023 at 3:06 pm

Even the smallest battery (250 mile) is bigger than most household batteries. Typically household batteries are in the 8-10kW range.

Household emergency battery systems assume that the power usage in an emergency would be more like 3kW/day (i.e., only the very basics like light & fridge).

• john-malcom

March 16, 2023 at 3:54 pm

I have three 10K Enphase batteries in my home solar system. each was $10K+ installation. That is apx 30KW for $30,000. It would have been cheaper if I had a 400 mi Aptera with V2H. Of course was not available at the time I did home solar. If I had the Aptera it could do double duty as home backup and solar vehicle. The old “Two birds wit one stone” Saved me $30,000 in battery expense. (We have two Apteras on order so one could be home backup the other for transportation)

• This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  John Malcom.
  • Markus

March 16, 2023 at 9:34 pm

These are not really good reasons to not invest. You can invest without pre-ordering and/or buying an Aptera.

• ray-holan

March 17, 2023 at 5:02 am

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Larry.

I, too, would love to have the ability to use the Aptera battery if I need to when power goes out. As has been recommended in this thread, I have a small solar generator with a 1000 watt inverter and 1KW battery — not enough to power a microwave, but enough to keep lights and a small coffee maker alive for a few hours. That 41KW battery in the Aptera LE looks mighty attractive vs. 1KW battery in my solar generator!

I also side with you on the configuration of the LE. I completely understand why Aptera has configured it the way they have. It’s the most popular configuration. My perfect Aptera is the 250 mile range option so I’m waiting (perhaps until 2025) for that model. The additional efficiency of the two-motor model and it’s lower cost benefit me.

I do applaud those who are able and have stepped up to join the accelerate program. It’s not something I can afford to do, but I’m glad it’s there and that others are investing.

• anthony-chan

March 20, 2023 at 7:38 pm

I also am reluctant to invest in the accelerator as the launch model isn’t my preferred configuration – I don’t need AWD, and the 250 mile would be fine enough for me.

As a suggestion, perhaps Aptera could extend the program for those who want other configurations. Maybe make the first, say 500 vehicles, of each of the 200, 600, and 1000 mile ranges have their own serial number that would start after the launch edition ones – so serial numbers 2001 to 2500 be the first of the 250-mile range models produced (or, maybe limit the 400-mile to say first 1000 accelerators, and split the rest with the other mile versions). This way those who want other configurations can also have the incentive to invest in the accelerator program.

I would say for the outlet, I agree a built-in outlet would be more convenient, though you could probably buy a 1500W DC to AC inverter (they go for about $200) and connect that to the 12V battery – the main battery would charge the smaller 12V when it gets low. Though I tested this on my e-Golf, not sure about other EVs. What would really be sweet is if there were vehicle to load, that way it could really power your house or larger loads.

• william-hester

March 21, 2023 at 8:12 am

I’m saving money and have nearly enough set aside to join the Accelerator program, but the biggest reason I’m hesitant is related to final vehicle pricing. I’d hate to invest $10,500 and then not be able to follow through on the purchase because the vehicle price increases drastically once production starts due to *insert reason(s) here* (supply chain issues, design changes, inflation, etc). I can handle the investment cost plus the price tag currently listed on the website, but I don’t think anyone seriously expects that price to remain the same once the company updates it. If I had a better idea of the FINAL price, I’d be much better able to determine whether or not I should invest.

• Greek

March 21, 2023 at 9:44 am

@william-hester We do know as mentioned several times by the founders that there is a nice profit margin built in with every unit sold. They also mentioned that since the larger components have been nailed down with vendors and only the smaller items are yet to be secured. I’m not sure why APTERA hasn’t pulled the trigger for those who are already committing $10k plus investments to get the ball rolling with a locked in price. The quicker they can start production, you would think, it would have a bearing on keeping overall costs down. Not just manufacturing and components but also rent and salaries that are still being paid at the moment. The Accelerator Program is being stretched out to the point where I’m not sure it’s going to accelerate anything. Outside funding from a whale may come in the summer as both Steve and Chris eluded to. Basically coinciding with the time that the Accelerator Program may come to a conclusion. Many people are doing what they can to put together a large chunk of change ($10k) showing their commitment and support…it’s time for APTERA to do the same. Commit to a price for those 2,000 at least….and possibly to all LE holders. Commitment can’t be a one way street.

• scott-ullerich

March 21, 2023 at 9:39 am

@william-hester And this is EXACTLY why I feel Aptera should guarantee the current LE price for all Accelerators. How many hundreds of people are feeling like you and would invest if this concern went away. Small price to pay to get this thing to the finish line.

• Gozer

March 21, 2023 at 7:58 pm

I initially invested 100 shares and made a reservation to get skin in the game. I’d be fine with a base model Noir in Vida trim. Then I decided on the Launch Edition, which is more Aptera than I need, as I become aware just how special this vehicle can be. Now I am motivated to join the Accelerator Program and just hit the leaderboard, currently 0613. As a San Diego native, I look forward to driving up to Carlsbad next year when it becomes Ground Zero for Solar Mobility as flocks of Apterae take to the streets.

or to reply.