Will Aperta be compatible with Comma.ai’s OPEN PILOT?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Will Aperta be compatible with Comma.ai’s OPEN PILOT?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Will Aperta be compatible with Comma.ai’s OPEN PILOT?

• Will Aperta be compatible with Comma.ai’s OPEN PILOT?

John Malcom updated 1 week ago 4 Members · 9 Posts
  • Hale Marine

May 13, 2022 at 4:27 am

With both companies being from Southern California, I’m thinking it would be a great opportunity for both companies.

• John Malcom

May 13, 2022 at 4:50 am

The answer is we don’t know.

Aptera has not chosen a Safety Pilot partner yet. We know that Aptera has made the decision that Safety Pilot will be camera based and that they have some hardware they will be assessing and working with during their process of vendor evaluation.

Deleted part of original post after examining their sight. The current SW is free. Open Pilot does require some additional hardware that would need to be modified to work in an Aptera. Possible candidate. Keep your fingers crossed?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  John Malcom.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Restructured
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  John Malcom.
  • Hale Marine

May 13, 2022 at 5:41 am

Thanks, John for your insight.

🤞

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

May 13, 2022 at 6:52 am

even if its not on, maybe comma ai can learn from human driving in aptera, it doesnt need to track location to learn. when self driving becomes a thing, if they can identify a political target in a car i wouldnt be suprised if they would do things to people, blame it on them wanting to drive manually bc distrust or he likes driving +drunk. other spyware could be checked for too.

• Paul Schultz

May 13, 2022 at 6:17 pm

If the Aptera comes with lane keep assist, and has electronic steering _AND_ they allow access to the CAN bus without adding a security gateway to block access to some of the steering and braking CAN bus commands then yes. The comma hardware is not vehicle specific. A port of the OpenPilot software would need to be done with a tuning of the driving parameters (steering, braking) for the Aptera. The open-source community working on OpenPilot has supported many car makes/models.

I expect someone to port OpenPilot for the Aptera. Then, having comma hardware would be an alternative to purchasing Aptera’s Safety Pilot. As a reference, some Tesla owners opt to run comma/OP instead of buying the Tesla FSD. Yep, there is an OP port for Tesla.

The original iterations of the comma hardware, EON, EON Gold, and the comma2 were built using a Chinese cell phone (LeEco Le Pro 3). The current version of the hardware, comma3, is built using a complete in-house hardware design without a cell phone as a base. It has 2 forward-facing cameras and one fisheye 360 rearward facing camera. With one small internal device mounted at the center of the windshield, they achieve a 360 view around the vehicle.

The comma hardware simply has a mount at the center of the windshield. I expect an Aptera port to happen. I have 3 iterations of the comma hardware. I am currently using the comma3 in my Chevy Volt and have a 125-mile daily round-trip commute. It is amazing what comma.ai has accomplished considering they achieved an ‘above level 2 ADAS’ using a cell phone!

Paul

• Hale Marine

May 13, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Paul, lots of good information. We own a Model Y and I wasn’t aware open pilot was compatible with Tesla.

• John Malcom

May 13, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I think the issue with comma3, the current version vs. Aptera will be the price. The comma3 hardware starts at $1999. Apteras’s safety pilot is priced around $1300 (Current pricing)

• Paul Schultz

May 13, 2022 at 8:24 pm

comma.ai is currently working on another comma3 model with a reduced cost. They definitely went over the top on high-end components with the comma3, particularly the high-cost OLED display. The “comma 3S” as it has been dubbed will probably be competitive with the OEM cost of Safety Pilot. And, if comma2 level hardware is sufficient, there is Chinese clone hardware that gets OP running for ~$300-400 (Mr. One shop on Aliexpress). At this moment the function of OP on a comma2 is basically identical to the comma3.

comma.ai is continuing all OP development work with the comma3 platform. They will no longer be enhancing the functionality of the comma2. The comma2 doesn’t have the CPU power nor the 360 view that the c3 has. Any further OP enhancements beyond the current version will be focused on comma3 capabilities. So, the official comma2 branch of OP will only get minor bug fixes from this point forward. I suspect the open-source OP community will continue to provide some of the new features from future OP updates for the comma2 platform.

• John Malcom

May 14, 2022 at 6:06 am

Thanks for the additional information!

I am sure Aptera engineering knows the specifics of the solutions they are evaluating and will pick the one that provides the best value. Rather than adding an additional piece of processing hardware, I believe their intent would be to use the processing already available in the Aptera architecture and display controls/ feedback on the existing UI screen if possible.

A big advantage of the comma.ai product is you do not need to have your hands on the wheel all of the time like in my Tesla Model 3.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now