Vehicle Cover?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Vehicle Cover?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Vehicle Cover?

• Vehicle Cover?

Greek updated 1 year, 9 months ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • kerbe2705

July 2, 2022 at 11:43 pm

@JOHN W. DARBY Aptera is still busy designing the vehicle: I’m sure that any accessories that they may choose to offer won’t be available until they’re closer to production.

As to a vehicle cover – the whole point of Aptera is that it can charge from the sun – and that the solar panels will provide power to run the ventilation system when the vehicle is parked. If one covered the vehicle, there’d be no way for the sun to reach the solar cells.

• john-w-darby-darby

July 3, 2022 at 12:13 am

Thanks,

Some interested people posed the question from a anti-theft perspective. This vehicle is going to be a VERY hot in inner cities.

• steven-g-bueche

July 3, 2022 at 4:06 am

Do covers reduce the heat of a car? In some cases, depending on the cover, yes.

What if you’re fully charged and want to reduce the heat generated by the sun?

What if a storms coming? What if the pollen is high and you want to reduce the accumulation on the cars solar panels?

What if you’re under the car port and just want to keep the solar tiles clean?

What if it’s going to snow tonight?

What if that neighbors cat won’t stop leaving paw prints all over it during the night because it’s nice solar panels make for warm sleeping?

I would think a car cover would be one of the biggest sellers.

• joshua-rosen

July 3, 2022 at 5:18 am

Covers are for winter to keep the snow off, there isn’t much sun in the winter so you aren’t losing anything by covering it. Lot’s of generic car covers should fit. I never bother with expensive covers on ,y Tesla, a $60 Amazon cover works fine. I cut a flap for the charging cable and reenforce it with duct tape.

• GNiessen

July 3, 2022 at 7:16 am

That would be for a car cover company to produce, once there is a market. But must of us will want the solar panels uncovered.

• ROMAD

July 3, 2022 at 10:00 am

Turns out there are a LOT of clear, disposable, car covers available on Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/2uuu9nv8

• arlen-bell

July 12, 2022 at 1:01 pm

I would use a cover at night to keep prying eyes off Aptera – especially when parked at a hotel. I see quite a few covers on expensive cars in hotel lots.

• Greek

July 12, 2022 at 1:30 pm

All plastic covers are pretty limited to function as an all purpose cover. I would definitely seek a cover that would be waterproof and breathable. Once APTERA enters market, I believe manufacturers will make a hybrid specific cover for vehicles with solar panels.

or to reply.