Will we receive a charger with our Aptera ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Will we receive a charger with our Aptera ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Will we receive a charger with our Aptera ?

• Will we receive a charger with our Aptera ?

John Voules updated 1 month ago 13 Members · 21 Posts
  • Pistonboy Delux

August 24, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Will we receive a charger with our Aptera?

I have heard Tesla has discontinued including a charger with their vehicle. Is this true?

• Curtis Cibinel

August 24, 2022 at 10:53 pm

The mobile connector for tesla is used for charging from level 1 and nema (ie dryer) plugs. They now charge $200 and include more ports. Electrical codes will soon require ground fault interupters for ev charging which basically dictates getting a proper evse anyway. As to what Aptera will include it’s up in the air.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2022 at 11:18 pm

@Curtis Cibinel In the US we can get both GFCI and non-GFCI breakers – and most 240/220 domestic circuits are dedicated lines from the service panel to a single receptacle – so shouldn’t that solve the problem?

Tesla offers two different Mobile Connectors: One has a molded-on NEMA 14-50 connector (and is out of stock in the online store) and the other has two interchangeable connectors – a NEMA 5-15 and a NEMA 14-50 (with other connectors available). Both versions are listed at $200 and both are rated at up to 32A.

The Wall Connector is currently priced at $400 and is rated at up to 48A.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2022 at 11:22 pm

@Pistonboy Delux Yes, that is true: Tesla no longer includes a Mobile Connector with their vehicles.

I doubt that Aptera will include a cable (Kia doesn’t, either – at least not in the EV6…) but, as @Curtis Cibinel mentioned, the Tesla Mobile Connector is an exceptional bargain right now – as is their Wall Connector.

• Paul Carlucci

August 25, 2022 at 3:34 am

Let’s be honest, many of us already have a stack of L1 charge cords at home, some of which have never been pulled out. Early adopter Apteras are far more likely to be going to households that already have an EV or PHEV and therefore don’t need yet another EVSE. If you really need one an L1 or low-end basic L2 is under $200 all day long. Anything more than that is kinda silly for home use with an Aptera. Some folks will want one for commando charging but there’s no reason for Aptera management to assume everybody needs one and then incur the costs.

• John Voules

August 25, 2022 at 5:36 am

All brand new evs come with a basic 110v charging cable. APTERA can’t assume you already own. From my experience charging cables can also go bad. Also I have the horrible experience of my Zero srf motorcycle refuses to charge on my homes level 2 system. Zero hasn’t been able to figure it out and Charge Point also refuses to take responsibility. So I have to use my 110v cable at home, funny thing though, Charge Point works for me at other charging stations.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 25, 2022 at 6:25 am

‘many of us have a stack of L1 charge cords at home’

We do? less than 1% of the population own an EV. A $26k starting EV? An sEV that solves the problem many condo and rental appt owners have had adopting EVs? I could ask what planet you are on.

This will be my first production EV, other than the ones I hand built.

• John Voules

August 25, 2022 at 6:38 am

Hey Mark, in Paul’s defense…he did say early adapters, not the general population.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 25, 2022 at 6:56 am

K lol

I am an early adopter, I own one of the first 100 TVs that RCA Victor put out in the ’40s!

I also hand built my first computer using a 74188 ALU, before Intel came out with its 4004.

15billion phones have my code in ’em.

It’s just silly to buy an inefficient overpriced EV. Aptera is the first one worthy of my attention! Love It!

• Kevin Bradbury

August 25, 2022 at 7:14 am

Hey, um, I’ve ordered my first electric vehicle and it might not come with a L1 charge cord. Can you help a brother out with any spare cords you have? Please?😔

• Mark Salyzyn

August 25, 2022 at 7:17 am

😉 me three

• Dennis Swaney

August 25, 2022 at 1:28 pm

Ditto 😁

• John Voules

August 25, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Is this where I wait in line for a free charging cord? 😇

• John Malcom

August 25, 2022 at 2:29 pm

John, sooooo sorry. They ran out after they gave me mine😥

• Joshua Rosen

August 25, 2022 at 7:29 am

Including a mobile EVSE with the car is wasteful. I’ve never removed my mobile Tesla EVSE from the frunk. When I got my first EV, a Volt, in 2016 I used the included EVSE for about a week until my ClipperCreek was installed. Mobile chargers are a pain because you have to put them away when you aren’t using them and then get them out when you want to charge. Having a permanently installed EVSE is vastly more convenient. I also had a problem with my Volt’s portable EVSE, it popped the GCFI on my outdoor outlet, I ended up running a heavy duty outdoor extension cord from my dining room which is not recommended but it did the job for the short time I needed it.

It would make sense for them to offer a mobile EVSE as an option, first time EV owners might feel more comfortable if the EVSE came with the car. However just having a set of recommended EVSEs with links to the purchase sites would also solve that problem.

If they end up using the Tesla connector then you’ll have to buy a Tesla EVSE if you don’t already have one. If they end up with CCS1 then there are many good J1772 EVSEs on the market.

• Riley …

August 25, 2022 at 7:55 am

I own a tesla and use the included cord daily. Mounted it to the wall of my garage and take it with me whenever I take a long trip.

Hopefully aptera includes a mobile charger and if they don’t Hopefully aptera is compatible with the tesla mobile connector.

• Joshua Rosen

August 25, 2022 at 9:00 am

If they use a Tesla plug you’re all set, if they use a J1772 then you’ll have to have to buy a new EVSE which will cost you $500-$600. There is no reason to bundle that cost into the car, for those that need to buy an EVSE it’s the same either way, for those that don’t it’s money not wasted. I have a J1772 and a Tesla EVSE on the side of my house, I’m set no matter which they go. An EVSE and the cost to run a 240V line isn’t a lot compared to the price of a new car, it’s the price of an option.

• Jeffrey May

August 25, 2022 at 10:47 am

Nowadays you can get an L1 EVSE for <$200 and an L2 EVSE for <$300.

And if you’ve already got a Tesla charger and Aptera ends up using a J1772 charge port, you could also get a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter for $160.

• Curtis Cibinel

August 25, 2022 at 8:52 am

Aptera is uniquely functional with level 1 charging (about 140 miles per night). I won’t be able to install an evse since I’m in an apartment but my detached garage already has a dedicated 120v circuit. Does anyone make cheaper non-modular level 1 only cables for tesla or is the tesla mobile connector still the best option? Kinda feels like level 2 (without a hardwired evse) is not going to come up often.

• Gene Chutka

August 25, 2022 at 8:59 am

I just bought my first EV, a Kia EV6, and it didn’t come with a charging cable. I was initially disappointed at this until I educated myself about all the different charging options, plugs, power levels, and smart features. These are not exactly cheap either, it’s not like buying a simple extension cord.

Everyone’s use case is different so it doesn’t make sense for manufacturers to assume that a portable level 1 EVSE fits the need for every buyer, so why waste the money on something that may never be used. In my case I don’t ever seeing myself charging at level 1, but others may find a need for that however infrequent.

If you make the jump to level 2 there are even more particulars in terms of plugs and power ratings. So even harder to find the one-size-fits-all EVSE. Most people will be in this space after vehicle purchase.

Bottom line, buy the EVSE(s) of your choice after purchase.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now