Wind, road and motor noise? How loud is these things?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Wind, road and motor noise? How loud is these things?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Wind, road and motor noise? How loud is these things?

• Wind, road and motor noise? How loud is these things?

emanuel Lucero updated 2 months ago 5 Members · 7 Posts
  • emanuel Lucero

April 28, 2022 at 4:52 am

I seen some videos on YouTube and I heard lots of motor noise the most . Is there going to be a solution for this electric motor noise? And I also heard the other two but not as much , it was hard to tell because it the noise of the motors. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Emanuel Lucero

• Len Nowak Nowak

April 28, 2022 at 5:43 am

My two cents “ at this early stage”

👉When Jay Leno was driving with Chris in the Sol “ the window was open”

👉All videos are development vehicles. 1st models Noir, Sol and Luna. ( Alpha models)

👉YES, The only Beta is not even enclosed, for their engineering work, so we can’t even assess that yet

👉None have the aerodynamic front arm covers in place and the front wheel pants ( fairings/covers) are wide open to the in wheel motors, which has the “EV motor whine”

👉 To my knowledge none have the inner liner in the wheel covers we have been seeing in recent videos which address other needs but…also sound I imagine

I have two cars that have the wheel well material made of a type of low pile fabric, which is used to dampen road noise from debris hitting it.. I wonder if that has a place ? Weight is always a concern with an EV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

👉None have all their final production supplies yet.

I had a ride in the Sol. Standing outside as it came by…you can hear that “whine” ( maybe no need for the pedestrian sound???) I couldn’t recall the noise inside but with that early “ experience/ excitement” I was trying to take a lot in.

So 🤞

• kerbe2705

April 28, 2022 at 7:33 am

The production version of Aptera should be no louder inside than any other modern EV and may very likely be even quieter for two reasons: 1) It’s more aerodynamic so there should be less wind noise and, 2) the motors are outside the body of the vehicle.

As @Leonard Nowak said, the Alpha prototypes are meant to look good but they are NOT completed vehicles – and the Beta prototype is little more than an open test-frame.

• M T

April 28, 2022 at 7:40 am

I agree wind noise should be very controlled. Road noise is usually a function of the tires, and you can usually get quite a noise reduction with touring tires, sometimes at the expense of cornering prowess and grip. In any case that should be easily tweakable by the owner.

The EV whine does have me a bit concerned, although I noticed it a lot more in a “doors open” quick demo, in a beta vehicle no less. I suspect that it may be one of the challenges with wheel motors, as they need to spin faster because of a lack of transmission? In any case I hope it is brought down to a reasonable level in the production units.

• George Hughes

April 28, 2022 at 12:28 pm

A minor correction if you will. In wheel motors do not have to spin faster than (I assume an ICE or, for that matter, any non-IWM EV) because of the lack of gears.

In ICE vehicles, the whole purpose of gears is to allow the engine to run closer to its power-curve – whether it be set at 2,500 or 6,000 rpms – because an ICE without gears wouldn’t have the power/torque to overcome inertia at zero rpms.

Electric motors, because they feature full torque at zero RPMs, can operate without formal gears although some EVs have transfer cases to multiply the number of rotations for each turn of the drive wheel. If that were the case, then the Aptera’s top speed wouldn’t be limited by the maximum rotation of the wheel to 1,500 rpms.

• emanuel Lucero

May 1, 2022 at 10:11 am

Leonard… makes sense. yea the motors are outside of the body. On my Tesla when I first got it, driving down the freeway I heard a lot of wind noise coming from the doors. so I purchased for third party some rubber seals (weather stripping) for the hood, hatch and the 4 doors. It dramatically reduced the wind noise. The model Y came with some but only on the 4 doors and hatch. I put more on. It helped. it is a lot quieter. Thanks Leonard for your reply.

Emanuel Lucero

• emanuel Lucero

May 1, 2022 at 10:04 am

ok..makes sense, I know there is material out there that is very light and can be used for noise reduction of road and motor wining. and wrapped around the car for insulation and sound proofing. will their be any sound testing to measure the dB’s of sound while driving? If so can you put in the test results in your reply? Thanks so much.

Emanuel

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now