Window wipers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Window wipers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Window wipers

• Window wipers

Posted by spenser-pousette on November 16, 2021 at 9:18 am

Haven’t seen any designs with them, even though I assume they will be added seamlessly. Thoughts? Heard anything?

Sam replied 4 weeks, 1 day ago 20 Members · 30 Replies
  • 30 Replies
  • Window wipers

Sam updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 20 Members · 30 Replies
  • kerbe2705

November 16, 2021 at 11:15 am

Just as they do on most automobiles, the windshield wipers will rest in the vent trough below the windshield. This was discussed quite some time ago and, I believe, is included in the FAQ.

• stephen-drake

April 2, 2022 at 8:22 am

I know it’s a small thing, but, it’s also an easily overlooked thing in the design process. I sincerely hope that the windshield wipers are not just a quick, slapped on thing, but instead get some time and attention. And some serious testing, preferably in a location outside of California that gets regular, serious rain.

When I sold my tesla, the windshield wipers were in the top 5 of things I didn’t like, and my sentiments are shared by a LOT of tesla owners. The auto wiper setup was a disaster – only working reliably less than half of the time, and also prone to turning on the wipers when they weren’t needed. The “manual” (on-screen) controls worked ok, but were difficult to use while at the same time keeping ones eyes on the road and valiantly trying to not to crash into barely seen vehicles. A dedicated control device (steering wheel stalk?) is preferable to lots of drivers, especially us older folks.

Apologies if this has been posted before – I just placed my pre-order last night, have not read everything yet.

• kerbe2705

April 2, 2022 at 8:44 am

You needn’t worry: With more than 100 engineers working on the vehicle I’m fairly certain that no one is going to forget the need for working wipers. As to the wiper control system, that’s TBD: Right now they’re working on suspension, the drivetrain and interior ergonomics.

I hope you used someone’s referral code and saved yourself $30!

FYI, wipers, window and body seals are usually tested in a spray booth where all sorts of weather situations can be simulated – testers don’t sit around waiting for rainy days… Also, Tesla’s auto-sensing wipers have improved markedly since 2020, as has the voice-control option.

• joshua-rosen

April 2, 2022 at 8:58 am

I’m a Tesla owner also. There are a couple of things that are wrong with the way Tesla controls the wipers, they use the camera’s as the rain detector and the controls are on the screen rather than on a stalk. If the automatic wiper function worked reliably then the control issue wouldn’t be as important but Tesla’s mechanism doesn’t work nearly as well as dedicated rain detectors. I use the voice controls when I want to manually adjust the wipers, it’s safer than reaching for the screen. The right place for all controls that are necessary for driving is on a stalk. Directional indicators, gear shifters and wiper controls should all be on the wheel so that you can control them by touch. If the lights aren’t automatic the controls for them should also be easily controlled by touch without having to look, however there is no excuse for not having automatic lights these days, that technology is very reliable, they should also be auto-dimming. Speaking of lights I’d love for them to implement matrix LED headlamps now that they are legal in the US.

• jonah-jorgenson

April 2, 2022 at 11:44 am

Not a small thing if you live in the Seattle WA area.

Nearly everybody in my immediate family drive Teslas of one sort or another. I drive a 2019 Model 3. The wipers took a bit to get use to but now I don’t think about them at all. My fingers go to the point on the screen/wiper menu and on or off they go. I can see how some people would be aggravated about the control. Voice activation seems to be the best alternative.

My father drove cars before controls were on stocks and before stock controls were standardized. I am sure he had the same trouble adjusting to stocks. 😄

There is one stock on the left side of the yoke in the beta rendering. I have no idea what it controls. I really don’t care where the controls are for the wipers or anything else. I am of the generation where we like things on screens.

I do trust the Aptera engineers to pay meticulous attention to wipers as they do to other Aptera subsystems.

• dirk-wright

August 21, 2022 at 2:15 pm

We all know it never rains in California, but in much of the rest of the country, it does. What about windshield wipers? Anyone know about that?

• NorthernSouler

August 21, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Living in a temperate rainforest, this is naturally a concern for me as well. I don’t know the status of whether the vehicle has wipers, but that would be a major issue if the wipers weren’t there.

• 993cc

August 21, 2022 at 2:37 pm

The production version will have a wiper, although I don’t think any of the Alphas, Betas, or the one Gamma built so far have them.

• john-ross

January 21, 2023 at 9:40 am

Where will they be on Aptera? On my 2003 Ford Taurus they are very conveniently located on the turn signal stalk.

• 993cc

January 21, 2023 at 9:51 am

They will be on the screen, which is horrible. No doubt they will be to some degree “automatic” and that will work well enough in southern California.

Also of some concern to me is that the single wiper appears to only clear about 3/5ths of the windscreen. That leaves a lot of your vision obscured if you get hit by a blanket of slush from a passing Semi.

• john-ross

January 21, 2023 at 10:01 am

Thanks Bob for you rapid reply. Bad News! It is very scary indeed to think of having to fumble on the screen in order to quickly access controls that are very frequently needed here in northwest Washington state! I believe that my current cars are typical in having wiper speed and delay, washer momentary, and high beam lights flash and steady all on the turn signal stalk. This is a completely ergonomic arrangement which honors safety considerations.

• destroyor86gmail-com

January 28, 2023 at 8:19 pm

Probably won’t happen but I still would like to see wiper control on the turn signal stalk for safety. Anytime a vehicle near you hit a large water puddle your windshield will get hit by a blanket of water completely blocking vision until you hit that wiper control. I personally experienced a few time last Winter and I can’t imagine myself hitting the wiper control on touchscreen with the same ease and speed.

If physical wiper control isn’t available the least Aptera could do would be publishing a detailed how to guide to mod in physical buttons similar to this:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-touchscreens-could-get-physical-buttons-thanks-to-1850032257https://jalopnik.com/tesla-touchscreens-could-get-physical-buttons-thanks-to-1850032257

• _-T

May 30, 2023 at 12:13 am

I saw this wiper control on the turn signal switch in a video with Munro: https://insideevs.com/news/466481/aptera-uses-more-tesla-parts/

• _-T

May 30, 2023 at 12:17 am

Looks like you press it to activate the wiper, and you press all the way to get it to squirt water like a bidet.

• Mike-Mars

May 30, 2023 at 1:17 am

The video is more than 2 years old, so the details probably changed since then.

• joshua-rosen

December 3, 2023 at 7:56 am

They are only going to put a single wiper in, go to 29:0

Chris says that motorcycle regulations don’t require passenger visibility. He tried hand wave the problem away by claiming that Rain-X will fix it. Rain-X is for rain not for snow. The entrance and egress will also be difficult, he hand waved that also, that might be fine for younger people but it’s a real concern for those of us that are older.

• Kamakiri

December 4, 2023 at 10:17 am

If the seating arrangement and ingress/egress are problematic or prohibitive to you, then perhaps the 2-seat Aptera will simply not fit your needs or requirements for purchase.

Overhead pics of the vehicle don’t cause me concern over the single wiper arrangement. I think considerations for weight and aerodynamics and cost were reasonable factors and constraints in their choice and design.

• ROMAD

December 3, 2023 at 8:24 am

Single wiper is old news – that was revealed months ago. Why they don’t have the blade articulate so it clears the pax side is perplexing though. What I haven’t heard a definitive answer to is if the windshield will be heated; if it is then that would help with snow. Regarding entry, that is pretty much how I do it in my Miata and Jetta when I have room to fully open the doors.

• Markus

December 4, 2023 at 9:51 am

The Citron CX also had a single wiper without fancy mechanism and for me (often as my father’s passenger) it never has been a problem at all.

And yes, a heated windshield would be very helpful in winter, and heated solar hood, roof and hatch as well… 🎅🎁🤯😅

• howard-sharp

December 3, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Old news or not, I couldn’t believe it when Chris mentioned the single wiper which doesn’t cover the passenger’s side in the Tailosive video, using the motorcycle excuse while selling the safety features of a car. Being able to see where you’re going is safety feature number one! When I mentioned this to my wife she exploded with indignation. What about an extra pair of eyes looking out for road signs? What about sleet or snow? What about torrential rain so heavy it lies thick on the glass and needs to be physically pushed off because gravity is too slow? And what about the dignity of the passenger? – “I’m sorry, they didn’t think it was important for you to see out properly”.

Exactly how bad will it be? Has Aptera driven one of their vehicles in rain or snow? Will it be “not so bad, but not good either”?, will it be “quirky” or merely “awful”? Will the first accessory owners buy be a $7 squeegee? Will the first after-market engineered accessory be a grown-up pair of windshield wipers? What about sales to countries with right hand drive? And what’s in Rain-X? Sounds like something that might use PFAS chemicals to repel water.

Please, please, try and fix this.

• wingsounds13

December 3, 2023 at 5:30 pm

I think that I’ll reserve my opinion until we see the Production Intent builds and see just how much of the windshield is cleared by the single wiper. Do note that the A pillars do slope inward appreciably and that the windshield is trapezoidal – rather more so than most cars. With proper placement, it could indeed clear much of the passenger side, missing a relatively small area near the upper right corner.

• Mike-Mars

December 4, 2023 at 8:00 am

My Audi A2 has a single wiper blade, no complicated sweep pattern, it’s fine in the rain.

I do also use Rain-X but it isn’t a requirement for clear vision.

• Sam

February 28, 2024 at 5:07 am

A single wiper. This is another safety concern cause the passenger will not be able to see.

• Greek

February 28, 2024 at 5:46 am

I have never purchased a vehicle asking how many wipers does it have. Never had any issues with visibility during any rain storm other than the most heaviest of downpours. In the heaviest of downpours or snow events, it’s best to find a place to park to avoid others who courageously try to drive through it whether you have 1 wiper or two.

There are federal mandated laws about window coverage and cleansing along with speed of wipers. Of course this may not apply to auto cycles.

• Mike-Mars

February 28, 2024 at 7:09 am

There’s nothing wrong with a single wiper. There are many vehicles with single wipers, and I’ve driven one with a single wiper for years.

• jono-miller

March 21, 2024 at 11:40 am

I’m optimistic that between the aerodynamic shape and Rain-X (or equivalent) vision for the passenger with one wiper blade will not be too bad. But parked outside here in Florida in the Spring a lot of yellow pollen will coat the vehicle. If the wiper blade doesn’t cover the passenger side, how is pollen supposed to be removed?

• Sam

March 21, 2024 at 3:18 pm

Well, you’re parked, clean out by hand prior to driving off. Otherwise, the passenger reaches out the side or you pull over at a gas station where there’s a windshield squeegee/ sponge if not carrying one yourself.

or to reply.