Windows Down – Air Flow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Windows Down – Air Flow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Windows Down – Air Flow

• Windows Down – Air Flow

Bob Kirchner updated 1 month ago 9 Members · 12 Posts
  • Bob Minor

May 26, 2022 at 11:40 am

I wonder….

What’s it like driving the Aptera wit the windows down? We know the whole window doesn’t go down and we know why. The portion of the window that does open does look nicely sized for most things like getting drive through food or perhaps taking the ticket you just got for doing 65 in 55 or what ever. But on a hot summer day and you’re not feeling like using the AC or you want to save a few miles, I wonder what the air flow within the Aptera will be like? Considering the shape of the vehicle would air rush in if the window is open or mostly blow by? Would it buffer around in the cabin in an annoying manner?

I dunno. Anybody have any thoughts? Anybody test drive the Aptera with the windows down?

• Len Nowak Nowak

May 26, 2022 at 11:52 am

Watch the Aptera video from Jay Leno’ Garage

I believe Jay drove the entire time with the window open, arm out the window as he was talking to Chris… driving through busy CA

( I never open my windows in dusty hot AZ)

I only got a ride on Sol, in CA, but the windows were closed

• Ray Holan

May 26, 2022 at 11:55 am

Good question, Bob. You may want to take a look at a discussion I started “A Breath of Fresh Air” that seems related. One consequence of driving with the window(s) open would be what kind of buffeting might one experience in the interior. You’ve probably felt the uncomfortable pressure buffeting in your ears driving with one window door in a typical vehicle. Often, stopping that requires opening one of the rear windows a bit. I’ve hear that Toyota Supra owners have had trouble stopping annoying wind noise and buffeting while the sunroof is open.

This question, like many, will probably not be answered until some production Apterae are produced. While the split side window seems to be a given, there may be other final refinements that could affect the phenomenon of airflow in the interior.

• Len Nowak Nowak

May 26, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Only the Alpha vehicle ( Sol) Jay is talking while driving in busy CA with the window open, arm out the window.

(I never drive with an open window in dusty southern AZ)

I only had a ride in Sol with closed windows in CA

• Bob Minor

May 26, 2022 at 12:10 pm

I remember that segment when it aired, but watched again. The interesting thing is you really cant tell what is going on. I cant tell by watching and listening if there is any air passing though at all.

• Peter Jorgensen

May 26, 2022 at 12:05 pm

In the Jay Leno video you can hear the birds singing as they drive around with the windows open. No buffeting. Not sure if that’s true at higher speeds but it’s a good start.

• Scott Price

May 26, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Given how the entire vehicle is designed for smooth aerodynamic flow, I anticipate that the air will be smoother and create less buffeting than most cars. In fact, you may get less air inside than you would like since the airflow will likely go smoothly over the curve and not into the cabin much.

Regarding your initial comment about the window design for reach access: I believe it is a bad design for things like drive-through restaurant window access. You will have to push your face up against the upper fixed glass to be able to reach your left arm up and out any reasonable distance, and then you will need to either hand the obtained food over to your right hand (since you can’t bend your elbow forward with food in it and fit anything within the descending forward space of the downward sloping mid-window frame) or you will need to lean your entire torso hard right over the passenger seat to keep your left arm locked straight to get anything through that slot. Aptera’s earlier marketing video that showed someone “easily” pulling in a tall cup was very misleading (the cup was presented to the driver by someone else literally standing outside beside the car and right behind the driver, not up and away from a distanced drive-through window beyond the wheel pants outer line, and the driver reached across with his RIGHT hand to grab the cup that was presented to them just a couple inches away from the driver, neither of which are even close to drive-through realities, of course). The current window design was done for optimizing nth degree aerodynamics though was not done for good reach access, usability, field of view/situational awareness, or optimum driving experience. It is a trade-off decision with an efficiency plus and multiple minuses.

• John Malcom

May 26, 2022 at 5:08 pm

Scott. If you don’t have excessively long arms and perhaps three or four arms maybe you should not buy an Aptera. In my case with very short arms, I will make do.

• kerbe2705

May 26, 2022 at 11:02 pm

@Scott Price – there’s also the option of opening the door…

• Scott Price

May 26, 2022 at 11:42 pm

@kerbe2705 I completely agree and that is what I already plan to do to work around the side window’s design limitations. A number of the people who may think that the current side window is a good design will likely end up avoiding the slot window for drive-throughs and instead fully open the door, in reality (or otherwise should plan on the described arm gymnastics 😊).

• Bob Kirchner

May 27, 2022 at 7:22 am

… or of parking and going into the store.

• stewart ruth

May 27, 2022 at 6:35 am

So I’m a totally armchair designer. If one could crack the rear hatch while driving, would that draw air in through the windows for some cooling effect?

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now