Winter gear

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Winter gear

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Winter gear

• Winter gear

Randy J updated 5 months ago 5 Members · 6 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

January 22, 2022 at 8:05 am

The Aptera won’t have a heat pump initially which in theory is disappointing but given the trouble Tesla is having in Canada at them moment it might be for the best. Two things that they should absolutely have are heated seats and a heated steering wheel, these are both cheap off the shelf items so there is no reason not to have them. My Volt had a heated steering wheel, my 2019 Tesla doesn’t (they’ve since added the feature) and I miss it. In moderately cold temperatures, 25F, which is common during the winter, you can get away without cabin heat if you have those two things. Cabin heat with resistance heating is immensely expensive in terms of range but you can mostly do without it if you are dressed for winter and you have a heated steering wheel. I’m quite comfortable in an enclosed car without heat in moderately cold temperatures as long as my fingers are warm (you can’t use gloves when your controls are all on a touch screen). When it’s very cold, it’s 10F today, then I’ll use heat.

A heated windshield would also be very useful, or at least a means to direct all of the heat to the windshield. The one thing that causes me to turn on cabin heat even though I’m comfortable is a fogged up windshield. Optimizing windshield defogging can save a lot of energy.

The final thing is remote conditioning from the app. Heating the car, and the battery, while it’s plugged in allows you to defrost the windows and to make the cabin comfortable without effecting range. In an EV there is one more benefit, heating the battery so that regen works. Regen braking doesn’t work with a cold battery because the battery isn’t capable of accepting enough charge. If you get into a cold Tesla you’ll see a little snowflake and a message saying that regen is reduced (actually it’s non existent) which won’t go away until the battery heats up. When you precondition a Tesla the battery is brought up to temperature and you get regen immediately. This is just software so there is no reason not to have it.

• Elzo Stubbe

January 25, 2022 at 2:53 pm

look at this: https://youtu.be/0YOo8P4iAoM

heatpumps, extreme cold, stuck in traffic etc etc……

Might interest you….

• Aaron Redus

January 26, 2022 at 6:37 am

I’ve had a heated steering wheel before and it’s an absolute game changer. Loved that thing.

• Randy J

January 27, 2022 at 11:47 am

I should have posted my message here:

I’m wondering how we defrost the interior windows during the coldest of days. I remember years ago my old clunker’s defrost fans stopped blowing and I had to scrape ice off the interior windshield and my drivers side window (or I had to open it to check my sideview mirror).

Can I assume there will be heat blown towards windows or is there tech out there I’m unaware of to solve this issue?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Randy J.
    • kerbe2705

January 28, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Aptera has assured us that the vehicle will have all the HVAC capabilities of any other fully-enclosed vehicle on the market: Heat, ventilation, air conditioning, defrosting, etc.

• Randy J

January 29, 2022 at 7:33 am

thanks Kerbe. I couldn’t find that information. It’s a safety issue having ice on the inside of the windows, so yeah, you’re probably right and Aptera has it figured out and there won’t be a problem. I suspect if I visit somewhere I may not have the option to precondition the car using the battery.

I’ve never had heated seats or steering wheel in my own vehicles. I own a 2007.

I did love a heated steering wheel, but I did sweat using the heated seat option on the vehicle I borrowed – I turned it off.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now