Would powder coating be an option instead of vehicle wrap?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Would powder coating be an option instead of vehicle wrap?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Would powder coating be an option instead of vehicle wrap?

• Would powder coating be an option instead of vehicle wrap?

Bryan Bowes updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 11 Members · 17 Posts
  • Vernon SINNOTT

July 14, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Would powder coating be an option over vehicle wrapping?

• This discussion was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • kerbe2705

July 14, 2022 at 9:30 pm

@Vernon SINNOTT It CAN be done, but I’d worry about heating the body shell to 400°F – all of the various adhesives, resins and foams would need to be high-heat tolerant… https://goneoutdoors.com/make-powder-coating-adhere-fiberglass-4910274.html

• Curtis Cibinel

July 15, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Powder coating is an amazing finish but 400C cooking the body would probably cause issues. I’ve never seen powder coating on anything but basic metal parts. If it could be done it would be amazing to get some fancy splash and gradients like my old paintball gun.

• kerbe2705

July 15, 2022 at 6:35 pm

@Curtis Cibinel Thankfully, it’s 400°F – still toasty, but not quite so toasty ad 400°C!

• GLENN ZAJIC

July 15, 2022 at 1:12 am

My only experience with powder coating is one of an electrically charged surface. Aptera is not conductive is it? Don’t think so as it is a composite. Is there another method that uses heat?

• kerbe2705

July 15, 2022 at 4:09 pm

@GLENN ZAJIC The link in my response explains how it’s done, using an iodine primer.

• Norman Roberts

July 15, 2022 at 3:26 pm

It can be done, but still would require spray booth and special equipment. Also a primer would need to be sprayed on to create static surface for power to adhere. I hav seen it done on wood

• Vernon SINNOTT

July 15, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Kerbe2705 thanks for the info. I wonder if thaat may be an option for Aptera to consider. I know nothing about vehicle wrap.

• kerbe2705

July 15, 2022 at 10:51 pm

@Vernon SINNOTT – Ask and ye shall receive! https://youtu.be/zTt_oGhxeKg

• Fanfare 100

July 17, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Thank you. That was informative. But it worries me that I might need to shell out $5K to put a new wrap every 5 years. And $500 each 5 years to remove the previous wrap. So, can it be said that what one saves in gas costs and insurance costs could be applied to periodic wraps?

• Vernon SINNOTT

July 17, 2022 at 2:53 pm

I would prefer a paint job over a vehicle wrap. Perhaps a deal could be made with a local body shop to paint the Aptera. I’d rather go that way.

• Peter Jorgensen

July 18, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Composites engineer here – High temperatures can damage the body and foam core. Anything over 200 F would be questionable unless they’re already curing them in an oven. 400 is too much.

• Curtis Cibinel

July 18, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Has anyone talked to someone that wraps cars about the Aptera specifically; I’m curious? It would seem that given its smooth curves and low surface area (solar panels aren’t wrapped) it MAY be far easier than typical car to wrap. Its possible that this could be a DIY weekend project for about $400 in materials for someone with reasonable attention to detail.

• Bart Cunningham

July 19, 2022 at 2:42 am

I think the best option would be to put the color in the material itself, no wrap or paint required.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

July 19, 2022 at 5:07 am

The doors and probably some other outer panels are constructed differently, and in different locations as well. Chris Anthony mentioned that this makes color matching problematic.

• Russell Fauver

July 19, 2022 at 8:54 am

What about PlastiDip?

Plasti Dipping Your Car: What You Need to Know

• Bryan Bowes

July 20, 2022 at 8:16 am

Very interesting concept. Never heard of it. To bad it’s not durable but for $500 its a nice alternative I suppose, especially if you won’t park it outside. It looks like it could be a bit heavy too. I will park mine outside every day so I’m not happy about this whole wrap thing at all.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now